Problems with making PI reviewable...

LabattBlue

Seems like the only way to make it fair is to make it a coaches decision. That way, if his team gets screwed it's his fault for not doing something about it. 

Have it be a separate challenge flag, or an additional challenge, or keep it the same number of challenges. Make it only applicable to pass interference, holding, roughing the passer. Have the ground crew send it to someone in NY whose not even aware of what the call was/wasn't. Coach has to specify his complaint: "#23 just raped my wide receiver and all of you dumb asses missed it. Challenge" 

There's two problems with not changing the current system:

1: Human error happens too often to not be held accountable. This isn't the replacement refs. This is a team of highly paid professionals that literally just stole a teams chance to play in the Superbowl because they were too busy wondering if the stripes make their ass look fat.

2: When the league decided that all reviews run through NY, they de facto stated that they have no confidence in the on field refs. If they don't trust them to make a correct call/correct their wrong calls, why should we be forced to trust them on purely subjective calls such as PI and holding?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Technically, what NRC did was PI. But it was of a different class. I get that the hand play will make for muddy waters, but a line was crossed there. By a country mile. 

Also a hundred other calls:

Replay is a Pandora's box already. 

We either have it, in which case this travesty is the perfect example of why everything should be reviewable, or we do away with it entirely and eliminate the mess.

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

What if instead of giving the teams challenge ability, they have a ref challenge- someone who is monitoring the feeds and can stop the play based on something they see on the screen.  They could define parameters in such a way that it would only be used to catch situations like this, not used in the scenarios that are judgement calls.  

22 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Also a hundred other calls:

Replay is a Pandora's box already. 

We either have it, in which case this travesty is the perfect example of why everything should be reviewable, or we do away with it entirely and eliminate the mess.

For the right price, I will be like the Great and Powerful Oz, sitting behind the curtain and calling out the Complete Nonsense Messups (CNM, going forward) saving the game from things like this. Of course, I will need to also be in Witness Protection type protection, so it’s NOT cheap! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

What if the refs said the Pats* RB never crossed the goal line? I’d actually be OK with that, and it’s just about as obvious. Let’s have a do-over there too! Finish OT on Sunday! 

?

(In the mean time, change the OT rule ASAP!!!)

Ugh

Nothing will ever make anyone happy. 

Its why the goal seems to be finding the lesser of evils rather than everything right.

I have no idea what the answer is, but every one ive heard so far has a blatant contradiction that will end the same way. 

It will be interesting at the very least but sometimes it just is what it is and to a degree what goes around comes around. 

The strongest i felt about penalties this yr was the HOU game. It got to the point I didnt care who it was against, just the fact it was called was annoying. 

Its a tight rope down a slippery slope and everyone has a solution. 

Personally ive yet to hear one that sounds like it would make things better.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The blown call wasn’t tricky tack.  It was a blatant PI. They have to do something to get it right, especially late.  I don’t mind an extra 10 minutes in a game for reviews if a game as big as Sunday’s doesn’t end in controversy.

No one is really talking about the missed face mask call at the other end a few minutes before that would have likely sealed the win for the Rams.

I’d be really wary of more changes.  If a coach can throw a red flag for PI, it could open up some unintended consequences.  It’s too subjective.

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Clearly they can't enforce it by the letter of the law.  Much like there is OL holding on every play, there is hand fighting on every pass play between the DB and the WR.  If they allow that ticky tack stuff to be reviewed and enforced, teams will save their challenges for the 4th quarter, heave bombs, and if no catch or no flag, throw the challenge for a potential 40-50 yard gain.

It is somehow going to have to be written in the rules that the PI has to be blatant(good luck defining that).  

They may regret going down the road of opening up replay challenges to more plays than currently allowed.

Depends on how they interpret each case, if the replay rule goes forward. Much in the way court precedent affects how subsequent cases can be decided/interpretted. Otherwise this is another potential scenario for sure.

They just need to establish some sort of precedent with consistency and let the game play, whether replays are involved or not.

Edited by ctk232

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Clearly they can't enforce it by the letter of the law.  Much like there is OL holding on every play, there is hand fighting on every pass play between the DB and the WR.  If they allow that ticky tack stuff to be reviewed and enforced, teams will save their challenges for the 4th quarter, heave bombs, and if no catch or no flag, throw the challenge for a potential 40-50 yard gain.

It is somehow going to have to be written in the rules that the PI has to be blatant(good luck defining that).  

They may regret going down the road of opening up replay challenges to more plays than currently allowed.

Not a problem IMO if you do it in terms of the current coaches challenge set up.    HC's will have to pick and choose when to throw the red flag.   Maybe give them an extra challenge option reserved just for the final two minutes of the game.   Something like that would go a long way toward eliminating the egregious no-call we saw Sunday...

3 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Teams will have to be limited to one or two reviews of PI a game, otherwise games will be unwatchable.

Not into real Canadian beer or Cuban cigars are ya.

Not into any cigars. Never smoked in my life.

Usually pick up a case or two of Molson Brador whenever I go to Canada. 

Sometimes I'd buy Molson XXX but I think they do not make it anymore.