Solution to bad calls?

oldmanfan

I think post-snap penalties should not be called unless they are terribly, TERRIBLY obvious, 

Holding, for example, is subjective. How many times have we seen Kyle and Jerry tackled? We never get the benefit of the doubt with holding. Just take it out of the game. 

Pre snap penalties deserved to be called every time. Delay of game/False starts/Offside, too many men, illegal formation etc. 

its the subjective post snap penalties that can truly dictate the games. i say let the players play. 

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Refereeing should be done from a central office with numerous camera angles for each game. Reviews would be quicker that way. A central office would have watched the PI twice and immediately called the penalty. Challenges would also go faster. Watch the slow motion replay 3 or 4 times and make a call. Some guy staring into a booth on the sideline is the most inefficient way possible.

Actually they should have one official in a La-Z-Boy in front of a big screen with a 6-pack and a bowl of guac. It's amazing how much you can see that way.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You called my position unacceptable... That's pretty much it. I don't mind human error in games. Like I said, it adds to the drama and entertainment. It's part of the story. That's what I like. If everyone runs perfect routes, makes correct reads, throws the perfect ball, makes the correct call the game isn't nearly as entertaining to me. I like the story and the drama. 

The problem with the NRC hit is that it wasn't human error. It was a purposeful non-call. 

That doesn't make a good story. It's just a crooked part of the game that should be eliminated.

A lot of people are being totally ignorant to this fact or just saddling their high horse.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Theee are so many complaints about bad calls in the NFL, and many say we should rely more on technology to overcome these.  But my concern is you could conceivably look at any given play in the NFL and pick out a call that should have been made.

How about adding a minimum two more officials on the field (I'd put them in the defensive backfield) along with allowing the guy in the press box to make a call if he sees something.  Give each coach one challenge  regardless of the type of call.  If you add officials in the back you have two more sets of eyes back there, and it seems the calls that are by and large screamed about occur primarily back in that area.  The guy in the box can catch the most egregious holding.  And coaches still can challenge truly bad calls.

And once this is done, accept the fact that in any game like football there will be human error and just accept that as part of the game.

the single most bestest thing to prevent controversy would be to minimize subjectivity. the way to do this it to delineate a very clear and precise set of rules and apply them uniformly. period. end of controversy. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LeGOATski said:

The problem with the NRC hit is that it wasn't human error. It was a purposeful non-call. 

That doesn't make a good story. It's just a crooked part of the game that should be eliminated.

A lot of people are being totally ignorant to this fact or just saddling their high horse.

So you're saying the ref intentionally didn't throw the flag?

22 minutes ago, eball said:

C'mon, dude.  That's no longer an acceptable position given the technological world we live in.  There is literally NO reason not to eliminate egregious judgment errors by officials.

The reason is, it’s the only way for the league to control and have an influence on the game. It is possible to overcome bad calls and win a game the league wants you to lose, but with all things being equal and most games coming down to a single play or call, telling a ref to make calls the benefit a single team is actually the refs just doing their job

15 minutes ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

Not disagreeing. There are also going to be times when 2 eyes are going to be better than 2 dimensional cameras. There are also more cameras in a playoff game then there  are normally are during the regular season. 

And I do not disagree with that, either. 

This problem isn't going to be solved by adding MORE reviews, officiating, and delays.

You will never, ever "get it right" all the time, so don't try.

I'd love to see the whole thing abolished, with calls on the field standing, and that's that.

Games would be so much more watchable.

Everyone's team would win some, lose some, get royally screwed, etc. but it would probably even out over time.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

It's a game. 

It's fine as it is. Not because there couldn't be better refereeing, but because the controversy is part of the appeal. 

A video referee system that called a "perfect" game, would suck the life out of the game.

We need bad officiating for the game to be exciting?

Wtf

This is why we can't have nice things...

• Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I'm willing for the league to try just about anything.  Here's another idea: I think the officials automatically review plays where a change of possession takes place.  I think they could expand on that to include penalties called or not called.  

..certainly agree....could easily see an increased role for Al Riveron paying HUGE dividends going forward...............

18 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

We need bad officiating for the game to be exciting?

Wtf

This is why we can't have nice things...

Ha, nice try.

No, we need the human element.

It's a never ending problem, enforcing the rules. You take it deeper each step, and new problems crop up.

Edited by OJ Tom
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yes. It's obvious.

Nonsense. Don't you think they would have called a discreet hold or TWO if they were really hellbent on screwing the Saints? 

If it were to be done, you'd probably never know it.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This problem isn't going to be solved by adding MORE reviews, officiating, and delays.

You will never, ever "get it right" all the time, so don't try.

I'd love to see the whole thing abolished, with calls on the field standing, and that's that.

Games would be so much more watchable.

Everyone's team would win some, lose some, get royally screwed, etc. but it would probably even out over time.

I agree with your premise but not your solution. I'd love to see the length of a review be capped and strictly adhered to. If you can't tell it's a blown call in a short period of time live with it and move on. 

One of the plays that I remember that started this mess was when Vinny Testaverde's head reached maybe the 1 1/2 yard line, the ball maybe the two and they called it a TD. Anyone who saw the replay knew instantly they blew it. Same thing with the Saints game. Get the obvious blown calls right and move on from the rest. 

The quickest way to improve matters, is to make all penalties reviewable/challengable. Give the teams an extra flag to throw, and allow a couple of challenges per team for 'non-calls'.

Apart from that, the league really does, imho, need to employ someone who can rewrite the rules in plain english, and do away with over complicating stuff like catches, and QBs losing the football.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Theee are so many complaints about bad calls in the NFL, and many say we should rely more on technology to overcome these.  But my concern is you could conceivably look at any given play in the NFL and pick out a call that should have been made.

How about adding a minimum two more officials on the field (I'd put them in the defensive backfield) along with allowing the guy in the press box to make a call if he sees something.  Give each coach one challenge  regardless of the type of call.  If you add officials in the back you have two more sets of eyes back there, and it seems the calls that are by and large screamed about occur primarily back in that area.  The guy in the box can catch the most egregious holding.  And coaches still can challenge truly bad calls.

And once this is done, accept the fact that in any game like football there will be human error and just accept that as part of the game.

People are horribly biased watching football and are convinced their team is getting ripped off every single play by the refs.

This is a personal pathology, not a matter for the officials.