Solution to bad calls?

oldmanfan

Theee are so many complaints about bad calls in the NFL, and many say we should rely more on technology to overcome these.  But my concern is you could conceivably look at any given play in the NFL and pick out a call that should have been made.

How about adding a minimum two more officials on the field (I'd put them in the defensive backfield) along with allowing the guy in the press box to make a call if he sees something.  Give each coach one challenge  regardless of the type of call.  If you add officials in the back you have two more sets of eyes back there, and it seems the calls that are by and large screamed about occur primarily back in that area.  The guy in the box can catch the most egregious holding.  And coaches still can challenge truly bad calls.

And once this is done, accept the fact that in any game like football there will be human error and just accept that as part of the game.

I'm willing for the league to try just about anything.  Here's another idea: I think the officials automatically review plays where a change of possession takes place.  I think they could expand on that to include penalties called or not called.  

Refereeing should be done from a central office with numerous camera angles for each game. Reviews would be quicker that way. A central office would have watched the PI twice and immediately called the penalty. Challenges would also go faster. Watch the slow motion replay 3 or 4 times and make a call. Some guy staring into a booth on the sideline is the most inefficient way possible.

• Like (+1) 1

I like the idea that a guy in the press box could stop the game and initiate a second look.  The trouble is, there are calls such as holding that occur so often it’s hard to know when it’s crossed a line and should be called.  I could definitely see accusations of bias.

How bout the referees are held accountable for calling a correct game. If  you miss or blow a call that is your responsibility, you get fined the first time, suspended the second time and fired the third.. Simple, doesnt get any easier or more accountable than that

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Refereeing should be done from a central office with numerous camera angles for each game. Reviews would be quicker that way. A central office would have watched the PI twice and immediately called the penalty. Challenges would also go faster. Watch the slow motion replay 3 or 4 times and make a call. Some guy staring into a booth on the sideline is the most inefficient way possible.

You’ll still need field refs but I agree that reviews should be done in an office.  If there is a really questionable call like this...they need to do what they can to get it right.

3 minutes ago, JimmyNoodles said:

Officials should be full time.  It's crazy that the NFL does not have full time refs.  Also, the game needs to be called the same in the regular season as in the playoffs.  Refs always let more go in the playoffs.  Maybe the regular season should be the same? 

There are currently 24 full time NFL officials

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This was kind of the first thing that popped into my head.  At least have someone communicating with the refs via headset in game so that any egregious misses can immediately be rectified-i.e. the PI in the Rams-Saints game

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

Or how about we all stop being children and just accept bad calls are apart of sports.

If you make the game so clean and perfect you take so much out of it. 

C'mon, dude.  That's no longer an acceptable position given the technological world we live in.  There is literally NO reason not to eliminate egregious judgment errors by officials.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Refereeing should be done from a central office with numerous camera angles for each game. 

I think there is a place for this (the missed PI and the blow to the head that wasn't). OTOH, video technology is still only 2 dimensional. It lacks the depth perception inherent in having 2 eyeballs. 

Edited by RememberTheRockpile

Just now, eball said:

C'mon, dude.  That's no longer an acceptable position given the technological world we live in.  There is literally NO reason not to eliminate egregious judgment errors by officials.

An acceptable position? Maybe I just don't take a dumb football game as serious as you.

Personally, I think bad calls are a part of the game. How both teams respond to them is part of the drama. This is entertainment. I would say that your take is more so one that borders placing a delusional importance on this game. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Theee are so many complaints about bad calls in the NFL, and many say we should rely more on technology to overcome these.  But my concern is you could conceivably look at any given play in the NFL and pick out a call that should have been made.

How about adding a minimum two more officials on the field (I'd put them in the defensive backfield) along with allowing the guy in the press box to make a call if he sees something.  Give each coach one challenge  regardless of the type of call.  If you add officials in the back you have two more sets of eyes back there, and it seems the calls that are by and large screamed about occur primarily back in that area.  The guy in the box can catch the most egregious holding.  And coaches still can challenge truly bad calls.

And once this is done, accept the fact that in any game like football there will be human error and just accept that as part of the game.

Other sports like rugby have remote refs with video replay access that quickly communicate to the on field refs if there is an issue with a call. It does not delay the game like the current NFL huddle up process does. 

1 minute ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

I think there is a place for this (the missed PI and the blow to the head that wasn't). OTOH, video technology is still only 2 dimensional. It lacks the lacks the depth perception inherent in having 2 eyeballs. 

Devil’s advocate here....if they have enough angles, like the Edelman did he or din’t he touch it, that gets a lot more reliable. (But hey, I’m still not sure if he touched it, but I think they probably got it right?) 

As for MORE refs? The NRC PI was sandwhiched by two refs. I think there is a herd mentality. If one guy had thrown the flag, the other would have launched immediately. But the reverse turned out to be the case. 

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

An acceptable position? Maybe I just don't take a dumb football game as serious as you.

Personally, I think bad calls are a part of the game. How both teams respond to them is part of the drama. This is entertainment. I would say that your take is more so one that borders placing a delusional importance on this game. 

^^^

Gross overreaction.  Don't know what got in your craw but you can knock it off any time!

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Exactly,  get rid of the stupid sideline booth and put 3 officials who immediately vote on changing a call or non call. Give each coach 1 penalty or non call  challenge. It wouldn't add more than 5-6 minutes to a game. Get the call right so we know which team should've advanced.  The CFL does this.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Devil’s advocate here....if they have enough angles, like the Edelman did he or din’t he touch it, that gets a lot more reliable. (But hey, I’m still not sure if he touched it, but I think they probably got it right?) 

Not disagreeing. There are also going to be times when 2 eyes are going to be better than 2 dimensional cameras. There are also more cameras in a playoff game then there  are normally are during the regular season. 

3 minutes ago, eball said:

^^^

Gross overreaction.  Don't know what got in your craw but you can knock it off any time!

You called my position unacceptable... That's pretty much it. I don't mind human error in games. Like I said, it adds to the drama and entertainment. It's part of the story. That's what I like. If everyone runs perfect routes, makes correct reads, throws the perfect ball, makes the correct call the game isn't nearly as entertaining to me. I like the story and the drama.