Solution to bad calls?

oldmanfan

12 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Sorry I missed that part but my second point still stands.  If a coach is out of challenges the Saints debacle could happen again.  

It's a tough issue to fix. 

just go out there to play your best and hopefully bad calls even up

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You missed it in my original post...not unlimited, what I suggested was to give coaches one more challenge per half in total.  So they will have 3 challenges per half to accommodate for some additional plays to potentially challenge.  So won't impact game that much.  Could limit the 3rd challenge flag to only be used on penalty or missed penalty challenges too.

...rules keep getting more complex.....how about "Zebra OTA's/TC" annually?....top to bottom review of existing rules and more in-depth analysis of the newer ones....film review of bad calls and why they were bad......maybe even add a few more on-field officials for extra eyes...big problem though is this would cost money and I don't see how Owners/NFL could afford it.....

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...rules keep getting more complex.....how about "Zebra OTA's/TC" annually?....top to bottom review of existing rules and more in-depth analysis of the newer ones....film review of bad calls and why they were bad......maybe even add a few more on-field officials for extra eyes...big problem though is this would cost money and I don't see how Owners/NFL could afford it.....

Force replays back to real time speeds, you do nobody a favour breaking things down into fractions of a second and holding people responsible for it

looks like a bright future who watch football SOLELY to whine about the refs, good times ahead

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

Force replays back to real time speeds, you do nobody a favour breaking things down into fractions of a second and holding people responsible for it

looks like a bright future who watch football SOLELY to whine about the refs, good times ahead

...DEAD on......look at the speed and complexity of the game......allowing QB's 5 seconds for reads/progressions is an unheard of luxury....think I read Brady gets the ball off in 2.61 seconds.....Josh Allen was around 3.7 seconds....officials are faced with the same speed to make split second decisions.......should we replay the sport to death?.....greedy NFL may drool over more commercial spots while destroying the sport.....will there still be blatantly obvious blown calls like Robey-Coleman?...of course....it's the human element......so maybe you increase the size of the officiating crew to help mitigate......

5 hours ago, eball said:

You had me with you up until this last statement.  The Saints still had ample opportunity to win the game even after that horrendous call.  The league doesn't fix games -- they just have refs who occasionally make bad calls.

I am a 100% proponent of a "New York review" team, similar to what they do in Toronto for the NHL.  Take it off the on-field refs completely.

I think the NFL is delighted to have the Rams in the Stupid Bowl because it's the LA market and it's going to generate a lot of sales for merchandise. 

I don't understand why the NFL can't figure out how to get GPS tracking into the ball. It would make spotting the ball easier, it would also help with determining if a ball crosses the end zone. There's got to be a way to add that to the inside of a ball without affecting it. 

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

Sorry I missed that part but my second point still stands.  If a coach is out of challenges the Saints debacle could happen again.  

It's a tough issue to fix. 

Thats the case with any challenges.  They are already limited.  For instance, instead of PI on that play, say the WR catches the ball..but in replay, its not really a catch but Rams are out of challenges.  Tough cookies, they are stuck with refs call even though it was clearly not a catch, refs just didn't see it hit ground.

Thats the nature of challenges and having a limited amount.  You could literally challenge every single play if you wanted in terms of spotting the ball, holding, hands to the face, etc.  It would break the game.  

Giving them a limited number of challenges puts some control in their hands without breaking the game.  Challenging every play is not a viable option.  But this at least can help in a lot of these situations.  

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

That's a really sensible idea. I don't think the masses - who have no tolerance for human error by the refs - would go for it. 

I'd like to see replay removed completely for 5 seasons, and assess if we really need it at all. I hate it, ruins the game.  Human officials = errors, get over it or move to a bunch of sensors on the players and the ball and let an AI officiate the game.

On 1/22/2019 at 5:13 PM, HappyDays said:

Refereeing should be done from a central office with numerous camera angles for each game. Reviews would be quicker that way. A central office would have watched the PI twice and immediately called the penalty. Challenges would also go faster. Watch the slow motion replay 3 or 4 times and make a call. Some guy staring into a booth on the sideline is the most inefficient way possible.

I had a similar idea about refereeing. I pictured a scenario where every ref has a counterpart in the booth watching from his body cam and the live game feed, who can overrule or instruct the field ref to throw a flag. 

i'm all for replacing the refs with robots and sensors and lasers and IR and cameras and computers.  make those penalties and close-calls black & white with decisions in nanoseconds versus commercial break lengths of time.

not gonna happen any time soon because it would cost a hell of a lot and take a long time to develop and implement and perfect so i guess i'm fine with humans for now.

I laugh at the Pats*** fans around me saying they “feel bad” for the Saints and their fans because of that (non) call at the goal line. 

They're mute about the Raiders and their fans about the “Tuck” ruling that jobbed Oakland and sent the Brady bunch to their first SB. Prior to that that team lost to the mighty Bears by the worst margin in SB history. 

On 1/23/2019 at 10:07 PM, SinceThe70s said:

That's a really sensible idea. I don't think the masses - who have no tolerance for human error by the refs - would go for it. 

Baseball: the call at first is "watch the baserunner's foot against the sound of the ball hitting the glove"

OH NO WAIT!!!!!! there is that 1/10000th of a second where the ball enters the glove so the sound isn't precise by computer reanimation

give us all a ***** break please

I do think that technology, and fantasy football are making this seem like a worse problem then it really is

Fantasy football- more people are watching and caring about more games because of their fantasy team. Before a blown call may have only affected and angered that team and their fans, now you have tons more getting angered because it could have affected their fantasy game

Technology - no with so many more camera angles, better resolution and close up capabilities, fans are getting views of plays that they never had before. You used to have a couple camera angles that you saw on you 20" color TV in your living room. Now theres dozens of angles shown I distantly in high definition on tour TV and on giant screens in the stadium with close ups. Of course this missed call was obvious from even an old 8" black and white TV, but people get upset over missed calls that require them to zoom in on one angle and watch it frame by frame.