Solution to bad calls?

oldmanfan

16 minutes ago, klos63 said:

How do you practice officiating? Not trying to be a wise ass.  If they officiated in other leagues, but is there anything comparable?

No that's a good point. I just think they should be immersed in their job. They should all know the rulebook inside out. They should all watch tape and critique what they do and how they do it. This is partly a mindset. Are you a ref or are you a lawyer who plays a ref on Sundays?

3 hours ago, Stenbar said:

How bout the referees are held accountable for calling a correct game. If  you miss or blow a call that is your responsibility, you get fined the first time, suspended the second time and fired the third.. Simple, doesnt get any easier or more accountable than that

This.  To me the biggest problem with refers is they aren't held accountable.  There are only two instances I am aware of where a ref was suspended.  One of them was this season with the Hughes incident.  

If refs were full time and were held to standards then perhaps they would not only get better refs but the refs would do a better job.  That missed PI is unacceptable.  You don't need slow mo to see that.  On the flip side the same ref in another game will call some ticky tacky crap that really shouldn't be called.  There is no consistency.

Edited by Scott7975

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Nonsense. Don't you think they would have called a discreet hold or TWO if they were really hellbent on screwing the Saints? 

If it were to be done, you'd probably never know it.

It wasn't about screwing the Saints.  For whatever reason It was apparent that the referees all agreed that they would "let them play" and decided that they wouldn't be calling PI. 

There needs to be a guy in the booth who calls down to the field and says...  "Hey blind man!  You missed a horrendous PI infraction, take that yellow flag out of your belt and throw it at Rams 23!...  thank you"

15 minutes ago, JimmyNoodles said:

No that's a good point. I just think they should be immersed in their job. They should all know the rulebook inside out. They should all watch tape and critique what they do and how they do it. This is partly a mindset. Are you a ref or are you a lawyer who plays a ref on Sundays?

I don't think there's an easy ' human' solution. They definitely need to work on the quality, some refs we know stink, but the NFL is difficult to officiate, so the opportunity to allow for correction of calls is necessary. More plays should be subject to review.

Just now, wiskibreth said:

It wasn't about screwing the Saints.  For whatever reason It was apparent that the referees all agreed that they would "let them play" and decided that they wouldn't be calling PI. 

There needs to be a guy in the booth who calls down to the field and says...  "Hey blind man!  You missed a horrendous PI infraction, take that yellow flag out of your belt and throw it at Rams 23!...  thank you"

I would have zero problem with replay on PI calls and I take your point as a distinct possibility. Just noting to the conspiracy theorists that there are better, inconspicuous methods to stifle that Saints drive.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I have a simpler solution.  

First:  Make pass interference challengeable.  They can challenge a PI flag, or challenge FOR A FLAG on a play they believe a flag should have been thrown. 

Second:  Make roughing the passer flags challengeable, BUT ONLY thrown flags.  You cant challenge that a flag should have been thrown, only dispute a thrown flag.  

Third:  Give the coaches one more challenge flag per half to accommodate the new challenges.

NOTE: If coach is challenging that a flag SHOULD have been thrown, they must indicate on the challenge that they are asking for a review to get a PI penalty.  

Fixed.

The only thing left to determine with your solution is how many times can you challenge the calls you've described.  If it's unlimited the games would be incredibly long and if you limit them, you may not have a challenge left.  For example say the Saints didn't have a challenge left when that pass interference wasn't called?

It's a tough problem to fix. 

16 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I don't think there's an easy ' human' solution. They definitely need to work on the quality, some refs we know stink, but the NFL is difficult to officiate, so the opportunity to allow for correction of calls is necessary. More plays should be subject to review.

I have no problem with reviews if they can be done in a timely manner. There is no ultimate solution because no matter what, a person has to make a decision. They seem to be wrong plenty of times when they review. I think it can be better, not perfect, if refs are full time employees, totally invested in that job, and sink or swim accordingly. 

4 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You called my position unacceptable... That's pretty much it. I don't mind human error in games. Like I said, it adds to the drama and entertainment. It's part of the story. That's what I like. If everyone runs perfect routes, makes correct reads, throws the perfect ball, makes the correct call the game isn't nearly as entertaining to me. I like the story and the drama. 

Ok, you have your preference. I think it’s weird. In my mind “drama” is not waiting for what mistake an official who is not playing the game will make. Call me crazy. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, eball said:

Ok, you have your preference. I think it’s weird. In my mind “drama” is not waiting for what mistake an official who is not playing the game will make. Call me crazy. 

Lol whatever. I have a different opinion, get over it. Same goes for Augie.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

5 hours ago, Augie said:

Devil’s advocate here....if they have enough angles, like the Edelman did he or din’t he touch it, that gets a lot more reliable. (But hey, I’m still not sure if he touched it, but I think they probably got it right?) 

As for MORE refs? The NRC PI was sandwhiched by two refs. I think there is a herd mentality. If one guy had thrown the flag, the other would have launched immediately. But the reverse turned out to be the case. 

I thought the edelman touch/ no touch play was indicative of the issue with the current situation. They called on field he touched it and no angle showed definitely he did not but they overturned it. I do not think it touched him but i am not sure by any standard.

Do we have to resort to PGA style justice? Fans watching on TV calling in to say “Umm, actually, NRC is NOT allowed to smack him in the head while never looking back and the ball is still 5 yards away.” The PGA would fix that!  (But don’t clap too loud!)   ?

1 hour ago, JimmyNoodles said:

I agree- a few years back the seahawks and lions game ended when the ball was clearly punched out of bounds intentionally with the official clearly seeing it. No call and i think it is because he did not know the rule.

Just now, Augie said:

Do we have to resort to PGA style justice? Fans watching on TV calling in to say “Umm, actually, NRC is NOT allowed to smack him in the head while never looking back and the ball is still 5 yards away.” The PGA would fix that!  (But don’t clap too loud!)   ?

Man could you imagine? The games would take 6 hours for one drive with all the calls coming in.

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The "it is what it is" crowd are obviously not the ones who drive improvement from one generation to the next.

As a matter of fact, there was plenty of bitchin. You just weren't as exposed to it.

I think you should re-evaluate what it is that you are talking about.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

Step 1:  Ban replay.

The more you cut the officials balls off by letting them know everything will be reviewed, the more hesitant they become and the worse decisions they will make.  When replay was first being considered 35 years ago, I went to a father/son night at my high school.  One of the speakers was an NFL ref and he predicted replay would be a disaster.   And so it has been.

In case you're wondering, Brent Musburger and Phil Simms were the other guests.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I like the idea that a guy in the press box could stop the game and initiate a second look.  The trouble is, there are calls such as holding that occur so often it’s hard to know when it’s crossed a line and should be called.  I could definitely see accusations of bias.

There is already bias

17 hours ago, Stenbar said:

How bout the referees are held accountable for calling a correct game. If  you miss or blow a call that is your responsibility, you get fined the first time, suspended the second time and SHOT the third.. Simple, doesnt get any easier or more accountable than that

There, fixed it for you, and added unexpected excitement.  ?

EDIT: I posted this with inadequate reflection.  Upon further review, we shoot the offending official after the SECOND screw up.  All the less doctors and lawyers playing football official, to amputate the wrong limbs, and file frivolous lawsuits.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Just culling the herd.
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think they should change roughing the passer penalty, So that it’s more in line with roughing/running into the kicker. 

Still a flag cause you want to protect the QB but for Christ sakes 15 yards n an automatic first down for some of these calls are ridiculous. For those situations you can throw the flag but only make it a 5 yard variety. 

Edited by billvernsays