Solution to bad calls?

oldmanfan

1 hour ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Or how about we all stop being children and just accept bad calls are a part of sports.

If you make the game so clean and perfect you take so much out of it. 

I see no one acting like children. I do however see some pissed off fans, rightfully so. sure, bad calls happen but they have in the last decade and especially in the last couple years have been out of control and is ruining the game for many, including myself. calls that ultimately can decide a game, that's not a part of sports, that's favoritism at its finest.

too much money involved to be just "bad calls".

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Theee are so many complaints about bad calls in the NFL, and many say we should rely more on technology to overcome these.  But my concern is you could conceivably look at any given play in the NFL and pick out a call that should have been made.

How about adding a minimum two more officials on the field (I'd put them in the defensive backfield) along with allowing the guy in the press box to make a call if he sees something.  Give each coach one challenge  regardless of the type of call.  If you add officials in the back you have two more sets of eyes back there, and it seems the calls that are by and large screamed about occur primarily back in that area.  The guy in the box can catch the most egregious holding.  And coaches still can challenge truly bad calls.

And once this is done, accept the fact that in any game like football there will be human error and just accept that as part of the game.

Where I'd locate them is along the side lines, behind the bench 20 feet up in the air in a scissor lift.  They can share the space with the TV camera guy that goes up and down the sideline.  You'd go back and forth along the line of scrimmage.  My thought is a view from up high may be more helpful as the players keep getting bigger and fast in size.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

People are horribly biased watching football and are convinced their team is getting ripped off every single play by the refs.

This is a personal pathology, not a matter for the officials.

..the game has become too fast and the rules too complex......think that may be why some of the old timers are retiring now in bunches.....why deal with it?...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

the single most bestest thing to prevent controversy would be to minimize subjectivity. the way to do this it to delineate a very clear and precise set of rules and apply them uniformly. period. end of controversy. 

But that tries to place objective criteria on what will always be a subjective issue.  Always comes down to judgment.

I agree with a comment hereinnthat at some point you have to accept bad calls are part of the game.  My thought is having two more sets of eyes on the field and a guy upstairs you'll eliminate human error as much as possible.

I understand the desire to use more cameras, off site officiating etc., but games would take forever.

2 hours ago, JimmyNoodles said:

Officials should be full time.  It's crazy that the NFL does not have full time refs.  Also, the game needs to be called the same in the regular season as in the playoffs.  Refs always let more go in the playoffs.  Maybe the regular season should be the same? 

What does that mean?  What do they do during the week?

58 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Nonsense. Don't you think they would have called a discreet hold or TWO if they were really hellbent on screwing the Saints? 

If it were to be done, you'd probably never know it.

The ref was staring at the play as it happened. You're saying everyone saw that PI except the professional ref starting right at the play? Even the guy that committed it was looking for a flag, lol.

It's so obvious you don't want to believe it. The refs made a conscious decision as a group to keep their flags in their pockets on the play. It happens all the time.

Pass interference calls and personal foul penalties should be reviewable/challenge calls.  Those are probably the most significant calls of any game. Also, reviewable plays shouldn't have to be 100% conclusive to overturn, if you are watching a replay, the call should be as the official sees it at that point. 100% conclusive doesn't necessarily mean it's the correct call.

34 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

There have been bad calls since football started. I dont rember this much bitchin about refs in the 70, 80s, or 90s. We just accepted it and moved on.

The "it is what it is" crowd are obviously not the ones who drive improvement from one generation to the next.

As a matter of fact, there was plenty of bitchin. You just weren't as exposed to it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Theee are so many complaints about bad calls in the NFL, and many say we should rely more on technology to overcome these.  But my concern is you could conceivably look at any given play in the NFL and pick out a call that should have been made.

How about adding a minimum two more officials on the field (I'd put them in the defensive backfield) along with allowing the guy in the press box to make a call if he sees something.  Give each coach one challenge  regardless of the type of call.  If you add officials in the back you have two more sets of eyes back there, and it seems the calls that are by and large screamed about occur primarily back in that area.  The guy in the box can catch the most egregious holding.  And coaches still can challenge truly bad calls.

And once this is done, accept the fact that in any game like football there will be human error and just accept that as part of the game.

& guys on the field missed that blatant PI call...9 would be a magic number?

I have a simpler solution.  

First:  Make pass interference challengeable.  They can challenge a PI flag, or challenge FOR A FLAG on a play they believe a flag should have been thrown. 

Second:  Make roughing the passer flags challengeable, BUT ONLY thrown flags.  You cant challenge that a flag should have been thrown, only dispute a thrown flag.  

Third:  Give the coaches one more challenge flag per half to accommodate the new challenges.

NOTE: If coach is challenging that a flag SHOULD have been thrown, they must indicate on the challenge that they are asking for a review to get a PI penalty.  

Fixed.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

How about adding a minimum two more officials on the field

There are officials up the ying yang as it is.

Also, TIME and RHYTHM are factors. Making a game consistently interrupted kills the fan experience. Also there is a TV taboo of making a game longer than three hours.

I don't know the answer, but making games longer disqualifies any solution.

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

& guys on the field missed that blatant PI call...9 would be a magic number?

I would hope two more guys, one sees that play.

The one rule change I'd make us to have PI be a 10 yard penalty/automatic first down

2 hours ago, Stenbar said:

How bout the referees are held accountable for calling a correct game. If  you miss or blow a call that is your responsibility, you get fined the first time, suspended the second time and fired the third.. Simple, doesnt get any easier or more accountable than that

I'm on board. But this is such an egregious missed call that they should be fired. The NFL hasn't said a word yet. I have a feeling something big (Firing) will happen.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

What does that mean?  What do they do during the week?

They work other jobs the rest of the year. Not sure if they have time to do other things during the season. However, wouldn't it be better if they practiced and studied their craft year round? With the money the NFL has it makes no sense.

Edited by JimmyNoodles

Just now, JimmyNoodles said:

They work other jobs the rest of the year. Not sure if they have time to do other things during the year. However, wouldn't it be better if they practiced and studied their craft year round? With the money the NFL has it makes no sense.

How do you practice officiating? Not trying to be a wise ass.  If they officiated in other leagues, but is there anything comparable?