Chiefs fire longtime DC Bob Sutton

YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, GRHater69 said:

They should hire Tony Romo. He saw what they didn't especially at the end of the game.

Film study should have informed the KC staff the same way it did Romo. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

Film study should have informed the KC staff the same way it did Romo. 

I know someone who had to study film of the Pats for the playoffs .... i didnt watch the game with him but was told he was calling out the same stuff as Romo during the game. That’s 2 non coaches who knew what was coming and 1 who deserves to be fired 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I don't agree. I think he showed that he's good enough to not be good enough. Success is a subjective thing. It isn't success to reach the championship game and then get taken to the whipping post when you have a MVP quarterback, the best offensive player in the NFL, an all pro TE, a good offensive line, and a Defense that does the two most important things right (sacks and takeaways). The problem is that Reid has been out-coached in every big game he's ever been in. That's a fire-able offense. 

I admit that it's unlikely they make a move, but honestly they need to at least be considering it before they turn into the Steelers. 

If I'm a GM, wasting talent is more offensive to me than losing without talent. This is a team that made the playoffs with Alex Smith playing good football. When you take that team and add a historic season by the QB, it really does become Superbowl or bust. 

By taken to the whipping post you mean come within one play of going to the super bowl and losing OT?  He has been out coached by Belichek a few times when it mattered.  Welcome to the least exclusive club in the NFL.

Firing Reid is a viable idea.  Who is available that represents a better alternative? 

Disagree all you want but know that you're wrong.

30 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Well that didnt take long after one of the worst defensive game plans in a championship game! Dude had to know it was coming.

I actually thought the gameplan was pretty good. They played press man and tried to get pressure. They just dodnt have the horses.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I know someone who had to study film of the Pats for the playoffs .... i didnt watch the game with him but was told he was calling out the same stuff as Romo during the game. That’s 2 non coaches who knew what was coming and 1 who deserves to be fired 

We were calling out the the plays to Gronk every time he was split wide and single covered. That comes with just watching so many 

Pats*** games over the years. And that’s just from the regular TV angle. KC staff simply should have known better. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

By taken to the whipping post you mean come within one play of going to the super bowl and losing OT?  He has been out coached by Belichek a few times when it mattered.  Welcome to the least exclusive club in the NFL.

Firing Reid is a viable idea.  Who is available that represents a better alternative? 

Disagree all you want but know that you're wrong.

By taken to the whipping post I mean losing to an inferior team. That's what I mean by wasting talent. Also, on that note, the most offensive thing that Andy Reid did the other night is stand and watch in overtime as  (there was even a moment where CBS focused on his face and he was standing there dead-eyed) his defense got carved up and worn out, all the while holding three timeouts and not using them. If I'm the owner of that team, and I watch my coach rush subs onto the field to play a first and goal and the one while the guys already out there can barely breath, and the scoreboard shows three timeouts, I would be beyond pissed.

That's a great question, and I have no answer to that. I am not saying that he will assuredly be fired, my initial post was that his seat was warm. If he can't produce next year, or worse, if he has a team fit to win it all and his coaching is what holds them back again, then I think they ought to look elsewhere because that's literally been his entire career. 

Honestly, I have always liked Reid, but he has never done anything to show the ability to win when the chips are down. At some point teams are going to have to ask what they are looking for in a coach. Reid's protege went to the Superbowl and won it in his second season with the Eagles (beating the very team that Reid just lost to). There needs to be discussion about whether or not winning regular season games is enough to make someone a good coach. Mike Tomlin is the winningest coach in Steelers  history (I believe) but for the past 5 years he has had incredible talent and hasn't won when it matters the most. 

At what point do teams get tired of coaches who have been good enough to stay, but not good enough to take the next step? Would you rather be a fan of a team that has all the talent needed to dominate but comes short every year and they keep their coach, or be a fan of a team that throws caution to the wind and brings in a new guy because the old guy plateaued. 

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

do you even have to do detailed film research to know that they're going to throw it to one of the two white guys? Come on. The lack of adjustment was ridiculous. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

We were calling out the the plays to Gronk every time he was split wide and single covered. That comes with just watching so many 

Pats*** games over the years. And that’s just from the regular TV angle. KC staff simply should have known better. 

The bottom line is the Chiefs had a SB caliber offense and a non Sb caliber defense. They played with fire all year and don’t deserve to be in the SB. The only reason it went to OT is because the Pats couldn’t stop them either. Rams are much more balanced.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

The bottom line is the Chiefs had a SB caliber offense and a non Sb caliber defense. They played with fire all year and don’t deserve to be in the SB. The only reason it went to OT is because the Pats couldn’t stop them either. Rams are much more balanced.

Goff worries me. He had a good game against the Saints, but the couple of times I've seen him rattled (Chicago and Philly come to mind) he has looked like steaming hot garbage. And if there's one thing the Sith Lord knows how to do, it's rattle QB's. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I dont think the rams have the same offense as kc. I think Goff can get rattled especially if they start going 3 and out.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Goff worries me. He had a good game against the Saints, but the couple of times I've seen him rattled (Chicago and Philly come to mind) he has looked like steaming hot garbage. And if there's one thing the Sith Lord knows how to do, it's rattle QB's. 

Yup. Living in LA and being a BIlls fan I will obviously root for the Rams, but I also know what they are up against. They are going to have their hands full with Bellicheat having 2 weeks to prepare

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I like Wade’s chances with two weeks to prepare and a D line capable of getting in Tommy’s grill. 

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Pats only have one good pass rusher - both of those DLs you mention are much better. And the Rams OL has been playing great. I think they will get their run game going too. I don’t love Goff either but he made some huge plays on Sunday. Watch out for their two underrated young TEs - Higbee and Everett. They are great at YAC. 

47 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

And Schefter is suggesting Rex could be in the mix?  I would really hate to see Rex get to the Super Bowl... but I suppose it would make for sweet victory if we were to face him in the playoffs and win sometime in the next few years... 

Who has approached him about other DC openings in recent seasons?? Hopefully he still makes it back to the AFC East someday so we can be appropriately entertained at his expense again. 

Just now, K-9 said:

I like Wade’s chances with two weeks to prepare and a D line capable of getting in Tommy’s grill. 

I think the same. Pats will have to have a plan for Donald. I also think you have the play at least 50% press coverage. Rams can do it but Talib and Peters will need to play out of their minds. There isn’t a big time WR to cover but I think wade will have a plan for Gronk who is a shell but can still make the big play, and of course Edelman (NRC won’t get away with DPI vs Pats) 

Bob Sutton's achilles heel is what befalls many of these coaches old-time coaches.  

In high-pressure situations, they rely on what got them there instead of paying attention to what the film is telling you.  

Tony Romo is a smart guy but you aren't going to convince me there weren't guys in KC pointing out the tells in NE's offense the week before the game.  

The Patriots prey on the opposing team's predictability.    

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Who has approached him about other DC openings in recent seasons?? Hopefully he still makes it back to the AFC East someday so we can be appropriately entertained at his expense again. 

The HS down the street from me had a brief interest but hired the 6th grade phy Ed teacher instead. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1