Chiefs fire longtime DC Bob Sutton

YoloinOhio

34 minutes ago, bills11 said:

Yeah i understand that but there has been coordinators who have put together cohesive gameplans vs the patriots..the ravens have done it time and time again..so has defenses run by wade the pats have weaknesses you can attack as well..if you sit back in zone like the chargers did you have no shot so gus bradley is not absolved of any blame there..Bob sutton took way too long to adjust to the patriots run heavy approach where the pats went on marathon drives..which resulted in touchdowns anyways. He should not have waited till after halftime to change his approach.

Sutton actually got lucky that McDaniels got cute at the 1 yard line and called a pass play when they easily could have ran it in. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

We were calling out the the plays to Gronk every time he was split wide and single covered. That comes with just watching so many 

Pats*** games over the years. And that’s just from the regular TV angle. KC staff simply should have known better. 

I agree it was easy to tell when Gronk was split out which way the ball was coming but the difference to me was that Gronk circa-2014 showed up for this game, not Gronk circa-2018.   KC probably thought Berry could handle him and found out the hard way that he still had game.

Still, not doubling him on the final drive in OT, after seeing Berry struggle earlier, was indeed a firing offense...

4 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

His defense was 31st. This was a foregone conclusion. With the years that Dee Ford, Houston, Chris Jones, and Fuller had, there was no reason for them to be that continuously awful.

Then why wouldn't Reid fire him earlier??

I guess when Sutton told Dee Ford to put his hand down in the NE backfield....well that was the last straw! 

4 hours ago, Mark80 said:

ESPN listing sexy Rexy as a possible candidate to replace him.  Andy Reid can't be that dumb, can he?

Are you asking rhetorically?

Seriously,  Reid needs to be demoted to OC.  They have to be able to find a better game manager than Penny Candy Andy.  At least for the playoffs they should turn off his alarm clock.  Smart offensive coach.  Legendary gamete/crunchtime dunce.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I really don't understand why he was retained after last year. Apparently he is good pals with Reid but he was awful last year and even worse this year. They should have pulled the plug on Sutton even before the 1/2 way mark, Maybe right after the Pats torched them the first time but definitely after the Rams game. I know that changing a coordinator mid season doesn't work probably 90% of the time but seriously how could a new guy have been any worse. Sutton's in game adjustments were non existent. Perhaps he was lacking the personnel but that begs the question why continue with the same scheme??

On Sunday, I saw a defense that could not rise to make a single stop when it mattered, that couldn't get a touch let alone a sack on a 41 year old hardly elusive QB. The overtime drive was especially painful to watch because the defense was gassed, banged up and had absolutely no belief left. You would have thought that Reid or Sutton would have grasped this and taken as many defensive timeouts as possible. No they didn't bother. I was also wondering why they weren't subbing in people regularly. Even the 2nd string backups at all positions could not have been worse than that tired group who were getting dissected on every play, but once again no. They could have had the defensive players feign injury ala BB in SB 25 vs us but once again both Reid and Sutton did nothing.  Overall one of the weakest performances in clutch situation I have ever witnessed. 

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You can only create with what you have. The Chargers talent on the D line couldn't do anything because Brady wasn't holding the ball he was dumping it off straight away to his running backs. They were attacking the linebacker spots where what the Chargers had was their second choice defensive backs. 17 of 34 to running backs. The ball was out so fast. When you are trying to shut down the Pats you better not have a weakness because if you do they will find it and no amount of clever scheming will help you. 

Theres always going to be a weakness on your defence and offense in the salary cap era..and there is always different ways of masking those weaknesses..this is prolly one of the weakest incarnations of the pats offence...gronk is past his prime...edelman is not getting younger and they have no outside threat...the point im saying i feel imo they could have done more..no ones gonna stop the pats offence but they could have done more to slow them down.. there are things you can do the reason why brady was getting the ball out so fast in the chargers game was the wrs were getting free releases...in the chiefs game brady had to hold the ball much longer because the chiefs pressed them at the line..their problem was not being able to cover the pats inside routes..and not having cohesive pressure packages. Half the battle of beating the patriots is mental the giants defence that beat them twice in the superbowl had weaknesses all over the place.

4 minutes ago, bills11 said:

Theres always going to be a weakness on your defence and offense in the salary cap era..and there is always different ways of masking those weaknesses..this is prolly one of the weakest incarnations of the pats offence...gronk is past his prime...edelman is not getting younger and they have no outside threat...the point im saying i feel imo they could have done more..no ones gonna stop the pats offence but they could have done more to slow them down.. there are things you can do the reason why brady was getting the ball out so fast in the chargers game was the wrs were getting free releases...in the chiefs game brady had to hold the ball much longer because the chiefs pressed them at the line..their problem was not being able to cover the pats inside routes..and not having cohesive pressure packages. Half the battle of beating the patriots is mental the giants defence that beat them twice in the superbowl had weaknesses all over the place.

The Rams seem to have a ton of confidence. Actually I think nfc teams in general who don’t play and lose to them all the time go into their games with the Pats differently than the ones who regularly see them 1-2x a year and feel beaten down. Imo the Rams probably already feel like they beat the best team in the league on Sunday. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Rams seem to have a ton of confidence. Actually I think nfc teams in general who don’t play and lose to them all the time go into their games with the Pats differently than the ones who regularly see them 1-2x a year and feel beaten down. Imo the Rams probably already feel like they beat the best team in the league on Sunday. 

yeah i agree with that..you can get a feel from certain teams that they are mentally defeated before playing the pats and some who arent scared at all..that year rex jets beat them they were not intimidated at all

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the same. Pats will have to have a plan for Donald. I also think you have the play at least 50% press coverage. Rams can do it but Talib and Peters will need to play out of their minds. There isn’t a big time WR to cover but I think wade will have a plan for Gronk who is a shell but can still make the big play, and of course Edelman (NRC won’t get away with DPI vs Pats) 

Put Talib on EdelJuice. Matter of fact on passing downs have one of your LBs jam Edeljuice and have Robey waiting for him on the bkend preferably in Brady favorite passing lane. I would wait till the 2nd half of the gm to implement this if i was the Rams.

Edited by BillsFan1988

13 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I don't know if anyone has a way to document guarantees to be revisited later on this board, but here's one: 

If Rex is hired, Ronald Darby will sign with the Chiefs in the off-season if he hits the open market. 

Not after he ran him out of town.

Seth Keysor has an article on THE ATHLETIC ripping Bob Sutton to shreds over the way he refused to adjust the Chief's defense to take away the middle of the field on third downs. It breaks the plays down the three third-and-long plays the Pats converted in their OT drive and explains how Sutton stubbornly refused to try anything to neutralize Edelman.

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

he glares at it in total befuddlemnent like it has transposed into Swahili or Fuqing dialect

Had it been ‘Glower Cowher’, the page would have spontaneously combusted from the glare.  ?

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Looked quick and didnt see this posted. Espn said spagnuolo favorite to be chefs DC

Great!  But who are the Chefs?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1