Cody Ford (OT/OG)

N.Y. Orangeman

3 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Scouts don't get to see all of the players during the year.  When the senior bowl and combine arrive, scouts get to see the players up close in person. They get to interview guys and see if they have a brain and are the right fit for the team.  It's a very competitive stage and small school guys who are overlooked all year long get to prove their talent. Many small school 3 star prospects come in and punch big school guys in the mouth and they go shooting up the boards.  

My point about draft stock is more related to the media than it is to the actual process of scouting by NFL teams.

Media outlets have guys doing CFB/draft content and they tend to focus on the bigger names and bigger schools because the draft doesn't really sell while the NFL season is underway. In Week 8, who gives a ***** about some corner from Back of Beyond State? We've all seen guys propped up for some reason or another (typically SEC and former 5-star recruit) and then other guys surpass them because the boards start getting more well rounded and they actually watch players instead of basically profiling them.

Once you add into the equation that media guys have NFL contacts and they all gather in St. Pete, Mobile & Indy, you start seeing a more accurate picture of how the draft WILL go, not how it SHOULD go. It's the same process every year and it's why I try to ignore everyone until I've cast my eye over someone.

Can you tell that this stuff bothers me? :D

• Like (+1) 1

The offseason is just as important as the games but scouting doesn't start in the 'offseason.'  I'm wired to always be getting better.  That means constantly looking at new prospects, who's on the market, waiver pickups, undrafted FA, anybody.  Beane appears to be the same way.  

Your problem is with listening to the media and analysts.  Watch your own highlights/game film.  Don't fall into the media trap, that's how you overlook a player of Josh Allen's make up and just look at stat lines.  

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 1:47 PM, Bill from NYC said:

Or Guards.

The best technical, footwork and versatile lineman in this draft is Jonah Williams. If the Bills drafted either Jonah or Florida's Jawaan Taylor I won't complain. The cost for free agent offensive linemen is exorbitant. One advantage of drafting a plug and play lineman such as JW is that it will save you money and allow more cap money to be dedicated to other needs.   

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.