Article: A welcomed change: Josh Allen and the air raid offense- Nate Geary

One Buffalo

A little wrinkle they added to the slant concept is the back-shoulder throw on that pattern (maybe something out of the Brady book).

Allen and Zay did it three times in the final Miami game. 1 for a TD, 1 for a first down, and one incomplete. 

If they time it right and the throw is accurate, it's really effective in catching the DB out of position. It may be an option route. Idk.

3 hours ago, One Buffalo said:

Out of 65 possible dropbacks in 2018 from an empty set, Allen attempted 59 throws. Out of those 59 throws, Allen was on target (these are catchable attempts) 43 times. That means with drops or breakups by the defense included, Allen was on target 72-percent of the time for 429 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. 

Now he only completed 31 of those throws for roughly 52-percent completion, but the on-target number struck me as a huge factor or reason to think Allen is capable of being a more accurate passer than he’s been portrayed. All we needed was a little context into why Allen struggled as much as he did in college and this makes a lot of sense.

Here's the context in a nutshell: It takes two people to make a completion. All the QB can do is get it there, and as the above shows, he did that 72% of the time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, kickedface said:

a mike leach reference. WHERES THE TORTILLA QUOTE!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Where's The Senator!?  I figured a Leach reference would draw him out like a moth to the flames... ?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, One Buffalo said:

These next 4 months will be very interesting, as we see what Beane does to bring in the all important new pieces to the puzzle.  With the right additions on the OL and WR/TE, we could really see some fireworks next year.  

He has to go big on offense this spring..it's a must,not just a need.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Daboll still Needs to cut down on the illegal procedure penalties ... way too many illegal formation penalties 

needs to read the rulebook again ?

Maybe our more talented replacements will also be smarter and more disciplined???

Edited by Augie

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Thanks for posting this.

A lot of people rolled their eyes when Daboll was hired. Me? I was excited. I felt that his recent experience in the college game -- not to mention his added years being a part of New England's offense -- would mean modern passing concepts would FINALLY be coming to Buffalo, NY. Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened. The Bills incorporated more modern passing concepts last season than I've seen...well...maybe ever. It was refreshing and encouraging.

For those that say McDermott prefers to win 13-10 defensive struggles, I disagree. And I think that the team taking a big-upside guy like Allen and pairing him with a creative mind like Daboll -- who, as the article pointed out, was running some cutting edge stuff by the end of the year -- is proof. McDermott wants to have a stifling defense, yes, but I think he also wants to score a ton of points. 

Couldn't be more excited about the 2019 season.

Per the bold text, can’t agree more. Nobody knows better than a HC who made his name on the D side of the ball how much easier it is to play defense and dictate more outcomes when you have big leads in the 4th quarters of games. 

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

We led the league by a good amount in that penalty category 

need to get it cleaned up

We had very little margin for error if we did everything right. No room to be shooting yourself in the foot! 

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

It would be unfair to judge Daboll based on 2018, but much like the rest of the staff, 2019 is the year where results trump excuses.

cant argue with this.  they need to at least be "in the hunt" in December.  my personal expectations are a WC game, then again see my avatar … ?

• Like (+1) 1

I certainly hope this is the case.  I think for the Bills to ever rise from the ashes we need a really good  offense.  If we try to play close and win at the end, we are susceptible to those mysterious flags and call.  If we're far enough ahead that can't happen.

However I 'll believe it when we have a good offense.  Let's not forget that Coach McDermott inherited a offense that was #10 in scoring in 2016.  With the same QB and offensive line and RB he managed to drop that to 22nd.  This year we were also 22nd.

OK, bad salary cap, Wood and Richie, rookie QB blah blah blah. 

We'll see.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I  disagree too and I believe it's evident that he doesn't want to win that way because we traded up for a QB with boom potential.  You want your offense to take the next step which is why we gave up draft capital for that one guy.

"Boom" like "boom or bust?"  Or "boom" like, a cannon?

1 minute ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

We say this every year.

No.  Jay doesn't.

5 hours ago, freddyjj said:

So here's the next line of article.  And this is 52.5% completion percentage.  Now granted he is throwing downfield more, had a rag tag group of receivers and was on the move given poor blocking - but the completion rate needs to increase, the drops must stop and his 3.33% INT rate must drop too for offense to take next step.

Getting some Guards and a C who can pull will enable the RB or bubble screen game - which was non-existent last year.  I have to believe this is part of OBDs strategy for keeping Shady.  Lots of easy yards and increase in completion percentage for Josh by stressing getting Shady in space.

And drafting a bigger X receiver (or using the ex-CFLer)  to run slants will also help.

Allen needs to work on his short range passing more for bubble screens to be effective.

44 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

"Boom" like "boom or bust?"  Or "boom" like, a cannon?

Boom or bust.  They’re taking a chance and rolling the dice...high risk high reward.  

If they wanted to win 13-10 then they would have kept Tyrod and put all money into the defense.  They didn’t, they want more from the position.

6 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think it's very important we made it through the offense crazed head coach hiring without losing Daboll.  Some continuity with coaches and getting Allen some real support and the sky might be the limit.

Get him line help, a ram it between the tackles RB, a TE, and a top WR and were in business- not an easy feat but we have cap and picks to get some good pieces.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Maybe our more talented replacements will also be smarter and more disciplined???

Ka Pow- we had some boneheads out there.