Article: A welcomed change: Josh Allen and the air raid offense- Nate Geary

One Buffalo

A good read, looking back on how Daboll made adjustments, adding in air raid concepts that gives a lot to look forward to in 2019.

An excerpt

I’m not saying the Bills went full air raid because they didn’t. They sprinkled in concepts like mesh (the almighty), all curls, all verticals, and quick screens to receivers that are all building blocks of the air raid. By the way, it really worked. 

Integrating these concepts turned one of college footballs least accurate passers (Allen) into a legit downfield thrower of the ball. Now, I won’t assume every empty set drop back incorporated air raid principles, but this stat was too difficult to ignore. Out of 65 possible dropbacks in 2018 from an empty set, Allen attempted 59 throws. Out of those 59 throws, Allen was on target (these are catchable attempts) 43 times. That means with drops or breakups by the defense included, Allen was on target 72-percent of the time for 429 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. 

Now he only completed 31 of those throws for roughly 52-percent completion, but the on-target number struck me as a huge factor or reason to think Allen is capable of being a more accurate passer than he’s been portrayed. All we needed was a little context into why Allen struggled as much as he did in college and this makes a lot of sense.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Thanks for posting this.

A lot of people rolled their eyes when Daboll was hired. Me? I was excited. I felt that his recent experience in the college game -- not to mention his added years being a part of New England's offense -- would mean modern passing concepts would FINALLY be coming to Buffalo, NY. Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened. The Bills incorporated more modern passing concepts last season than I've seen...well...maybe ever. It was refreshing and encouraging.

For those that say McDermott prefers to win 13-10 defensive struggles, I disagree. And I think that the team taking a big-upside guy like Allen and pairing him with a creative mind like Daboll -- who, as the article pointed out, was running some cutting edge stuff by the end of the year -- is proof. McDermott wants to have a stifling defense, yes, but I think he also wants to score a ton of points. 

Couldn't be more excited about the 2019 season.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Great share! Some here might be worried this is just more Bills PR propaganda to sell hype over results, but I prefer to view it through the prism of we won 3-4 more games last year precisely because of Allen’s progress made and Daboll figuring out what would work best with his skillset. Really, would any of you have been shocked if we walked out of last season 3-13 the way things were going before Allen came back from injury? 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks for posting this.

A lot of people rolled their eyes when Daboll was hired. Me? I was excited. I felt that his recent experience in the college game -- not to mention his added years being a part of New England's offense -- would mean modern passing concepts would FINALLY be coming to Buffalo, NY. Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened. The Bills incorporated more modern passing concepts less season than I've seen...well...maybe ever. It was refreshing and encouraging.

For those that say McDermott prefers to win 13-10 defensive struggles, I disagree. And I think that the team taking a big-upside guy like Allen and pairing him with a creative mind like Daboll -- who, as the article pointed out, was running some cutting edge stuff by the end of the year -- is proof. McDermott wants to have a stifling defense, yes, but I think he also wants to score a ton of points. 

I  disagree too and I believe it's evident that he doesn't want to win that way because we traded up for a QB with boom potential.  You want your offense to take the next step which is why we gave up draft capital for that one guy.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Great share! Some here might be worried this is just more Bills PR propaganda to sell hype over results, but I prefer to view it through the prism of we won 3-4 more games last year precisely because of Allen’s progress made and Daboll figuring out what would work best with his skillset. Really, would any of you have been shocked if we walked out of last season 3-13 the way things were going before Allen came back from injury? 

Nate Geary does not work for the Bills PR dept., he works for WGR, and he was quite critical of Allen pre-draft, post-draft, and early season. Sounds more like a convert - there are lot fewer people still dug into the Allen-sucks foxhole...Schopp, looking at you.

• Like (+1) 7

27 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

A good read, looking back on how Daboll made adjustments, adding in air raid concepts that gives a lot to look forward to in 2019.

Integrating these concepts turned one of college footballs least accurate passers (Allen) into a legit downfield thrower of the ball. Now, I won’t assume every empty set drop back incorporated air raid principles, but this stat was too difficult to ignore. Out of 65 possible dropbacks in 2018 from an empty set, Allen attempted 59 throws. Out of those 59 throws, Allen was on target (these are catchable attempts) 43 times. That means with drops or breakups by the defense included, Allen was on target 72-percent of the time for 429 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. 

FAKE NEWS  ;)  :D 

Out of those 59 throws, Allen was on target 43 times. that sure does look a lot better than the 52.8% people keep ragging about 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I’m more excited for a Bills season than I have been in 15+ years.

These next 4 months will be very interesting, as we see what Beane does to bring in the all important new pieces to the puzzle.  With the right additions on the OL and WR/TE, we could really see some fireworks next year.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

Now he only completed 31 of those throws for roughly 52-percent completion,

So here's the next line of article.  And this is 52.5% completion percentage.  Now granted he is throwing downfield more, had a rag tag group of receivers and was on the move given poor blocking - but the completion rate needs to increase, the drops must stop and his 3.33% INT rate must drop too for offense to take next step.

Getting some Guards and a C who can pull will enable the RB or bubble screen game - which was non-existent last year.  I have to believe this is part of OBDs strategy for keeping Shady.  Lots of easy yards and increase in completion percentage for Josh by stressing getting Shady in space.

And drafting a bigger X receiver (or using the ex-CFLer)  to run slants will also help.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks for posting this.

A lot of people rolled their eyes when Daboll was hired. Me? I was excited. I felt that his recent experience in the college game -- not to mention his added years being a part of New England's offense -- would mean modern passing concepts would FINALLY be coming to Buffalo, NY. Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened. The Bills incorporated more modern passing concepts last season than I've seen...well...maybe ever. It was refreshing and encouraging.

People want to compare McD to Jauron because he has a tendency to get conservative.  But with our offense vs. defense rosters this year, conservative was the only way to win.  It was the rational choice during the transition year. 

I agree they are building a very non-Jauron offense and we are in for a fun ride.  Josh was not drafted to be part of a conservative offense.

• Like (+1) 5

35 minutes ago, Roch-A-Bill said:

Nate Geary does not work for the Bills PR dept., he works for WGR, and he was quite critical of Allen pre-draft, post-draft, and early season. Sounds more like a convert - there are lot fewer people still dug into the Allen-sucks foxhole...Schopp, looking at you.

That won't happen until one of his favored guests tells him what to think.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

People want to compare McD to Jauron because he has a tendency to get conservative.  But with our offense vs. defense rosters this year, conservative was the only way to win.  It was the rational choice during the transition year. 

I agree they are building a very non-Jauron offense and we are in for a fun ride.  Josh was not drafted to be part of a conservative offense.

Yeah. People completely overlook/ignore the fact that if McDermott wanted to be conservative and win low scoring games, he would have just kept Tyrod Taylor and possibly also Rick Dennison around. The fact that they jettisoned both the OC and QB right after they made the playoffs with them told me all I need to know about what McDermott wants out of his offense.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I don't think you heard Geary's opinion of Allen before or after the draft....he was very critical of him along with pretty much all the WGR guys.

WGR isn't ran  by the Bills.  These guys aren't shy from criticizing moves OBD makes....

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think you heard Geary's opinion of Allen before or after the draft....he was very critical of him along with pretty much all the WGR guys.

WGR isn't ran  by the Bills.  These guys aren't shy from criticizing moves OBD makes....

Appreciate the distinction--and glad to see another convert. Allen's been so fun to watch develop and surprise people along the way, I hope my expectations won't be too unrealistic for this coming season (at least a WC playoff win). 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Appreciate the distinction--and glad to see another convert. Allen's been so fun to watch develop and surprise people along the way, I hope my expectations won't be too unrealistic for this coming season (at least a WC playoff win). 

WC win is my expectation as well.  ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think it's very important we made it through the offense crazed head coach hiring without losing Daboll. 

Yeah. We really dodged a bullet. Can't believe he didn't even get an interview after the Copperfit guys seal of approval.

It would be unfair to judge Daboll based on 2018, but much like the rest of the staff, 2019 is the year where results trump excuses.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1