Attorney files civil suit on behalf of Saints Season ticket holders

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

"The Commissioner's powers under this Section 2 include ... the reversal of a game's result or the rescheduling of a game, either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred," Rule 17, Section 2, Article 3 of the rule book states."

nothing extraordinary

half the board whines about the refs every single play on a GDT

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

I just saw this morning a Saints player saying that there is some rule that would allow Goodell the power to overturn game results.

Fans need to get over it, you got screwed, nothing will be done to change it. Trust fans of Buffalo teams, nothing will be done. They wont come back and replay the end of the game, and they wont come back and just award you the win in a game you weren't already in the lead of at the time of the call.

They're considering making PI calls reviewable:  http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25818681/nfl-again-discuss-reviewing-pass-interference-calls

I work for a company that's basically run by attorneys.  They have no idea what we do or sell, but what they do know is liability, and if they decide that there needs to be a change in the business to mitigate potential liability, it happens fast.  This is no different.  The last thing the NFL wants is a trial where through discovery all the internal communications regarding the bad call become public, ESPECIALLY if there's an internal email from someone important admitting it was a terrible, game outcome effecting call.   Chances are that this case doesn't go anywhere, but you never know, especially if it's a jury trial, which the NFL would be insane to agree to, but might not be given a choice if the judge is a closet saints fan.  stranger things have happened.

PI should be reviewable.  In fact, all calls and all plays should be reviewable, and it's on the NFL to figure out how to do that without making a mess of the game.  You all know that with 99%+ of plays, the first post-play replay on TV you can see if the penalty (or non-call) was legit, there's no reason to have to take more than 20 seconds with crews dedicated to the task.

3 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

They're considering making PI calls reviewable:  http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25818681/nfl-again-discuss-reviewing-pass-interference-calls

I work for a company that's basically run by attorneys.  They have no idea what we do or sell, but what they do know is liability, and if they decide that there needs to be a change in the business to mitigate potential liability, it happens fast.  This is no different.  The last thing the NFL wants is a trial where through discovery all the internal communications regarding the bad call become public, ESPECIALLY if there's an internal email from someone important admitting it was a terrible, game outcome effecting call.   Chances are that this case doesn't go anywhere, but you never know, especially if it's a jury trial, which the NFL would be insane to agree to, but might not be given a choice if the judge is a closet saints fan.  stranger things have happened.

PI should be reviewable.  In fact, all calls and all plays should be reviewable, and it's on the NFL to figure out how to do that without making a mess of the game.  You all know that with 99%+ of plays, the first post-play replay on TV you can see if the penalty (or non-call) was legit, there's no reason to have to take more than 20 seconds with crews dedicated to the task.

Sean Payton is on the competition committee so I think he will be busy 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1087763881865498634?s=21

Damages in Saints ticket holder lawsuit against the Roger Goodell & the NFL include:

Mental anguish & emotional trauma

Loss of faith in the NFL

Loss of enjoyment of life

Loss of entertainment

Distrust of the game

So, in essence, he's suing the league because the outcome of Sunday's game turned everybody into Bills fans?  Can I get grandfathered in on that action?

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Sean Payton is on the competition committee so I think he will be busy 

Yeah and so was Don Shula when the Bills were getting jobbed over and over again in the 70s and 80s.  The point is that the technology now exists to allow for rapid review of each play, or minimally each play where everyone in the stands know somebody get screwed, flag or no flag.  Like I said above, every halfwit watching on their TV at home can see clearly lots of instances in every single game where refs either throw a flag when they shouldn't, or don't when they should. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

"The Commissioner's powers under this Section 2 include ... the reversal of a game's result or the rescheduling of a game, either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred," Rule 17, Section 2, Article 3 of the rule book states."

So you're saying.....there's a chance?

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1087763881865498634?s=21

Damages in Saints ticket holder lawsuit against the Roger Goodell & the NFL include:

Mental anguish & emotional trauma

Loss of faith in the NFL

Loss of enjoyment of life

Loss of entertainment

Distrust of the game

This is rich!

Never mind what's gone on with New England the last two decades.

1 minute ago, teef said:

i get the anger.  give it a week or two an people will move on.  it probably will cause the nfl to put new policies in place so this doesn't happen again, so there's that.

Can you imagine if this happens in the Super Bowl, especially if it's a bad call or non call, and it benefits the pats?

2 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Can you imagine if this happens in the Super Bowl, especially if it's a bad call or non call, and it benefits the pats?

it would definitely take on an entirely new form.  

not to mention with the boom in sports gambling, this stuff has to be watched closely.

49 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I anticipate the next step is the Saints going full UCF and claiming they are the real NFC Champs 

they might show up in uniform in Atlanta and need to be forcibly removed from the field 

I would love that.

Then after the Saints walk into the stadium and they are all assembled..........BOOM!!!!!

Who's that coming from the other side of the stadium.....It's the Kansas City Chiefs!!!!!

Then the NFL would really be the WWE.

• Haha (+1) 2

It's amazing that such blatant negligence by pro sport officials gets brushed off. 

The head ref should be suspended. Fines all around. Actual consequences. 

No more of these "just let em play" scenarios. Call the game consistently and fairly throughout.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Do you actually expect this to happen? 

It doesn't matter what I think.  It's possible, that's all.

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

They need to quit whining and get over it.  That call did not cost them the game.  It was absolutely PI and the ref's blew it but it didn't cost them the game.  It wasn't the last play of the game.  It was a factor but it did not directly cost them the game.  It resulted in a FG and a 3 point lead with 1:40 left.  They couldn't stop the Rams from tying the game, it went to OT, they won the coin toss, and Brees showed poor judgment and tossed a pick in OT.  The Rams executed a short drive and a long FG won it in OT.  Game over.. 

The call did cost them the game.  They could have run the clock down to seconds, kicked a FG and then pooched the kickoff. Game over.

37 minutes ago, row_33 said:

nothing extraordinary

half the board whines about the refs every single play on a GDT

True--and you know I'm with you there, like with the insane whining over the "OT rules". 

But this was an incredible, almost unprecedented flagrant, violent PI not called where the offender clearly has stated his intent after the fact.  That seems like an extraordinary circumstance.

22 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

So you're saying.....there's a chance?

This is rich!

Never mind what's gone on with New England the last two decades.

This has been done before....for that very reason;

https://consumerist.com/2010/05/21/jets-fan-sues-patriots-for-cheating-but-loses/

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

This country really needs to reform the laws regarding filing of frivolous lawsuits.  Until the attorney's are punished for it (financially most likely), crap like this will continue to happen.

Actually depending on the jurisdiction involved, there already is such a mechanism on the books. Here in Georgia for example, it's codified in OCGA section 9-15-14 (enjoy the legalese while skimming through it):

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-9/chapter-15/9-15-14/

(a) In any civil action in any court of record of this state, reasonable and necessary attorney's fees and expenses of litigation shall be awarded to any party against whom another party has asserted a claim, defense, or other position with respect to which there existed such a complete absence of any justiciable issue of law or fact that it could not be reasonably believed that a court would accept the asserted claim, defense, or other position. Attorney's fees and expenses so awarded shall be assessed against the party asserting such claim, defense, or other position, or against that party's attorney, or against both in such manner as is just.

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

True--and you know I'm with you there, like with the insane whining over the "OT rules". 

But this was an incredible, almost unprecedented flagrant, violent PI not called where the offender clearly has stated his intent after the fact.  That seems like an extraordinary circumstance.

I would have saved myself a lot of agony by follow my spider-senses and not watching that game, I was totally indifferent except for good play, which was delivered.

As for bad calls, that was certainly one.

All you can do is shrug on move on, they aren't replaying the game.  It is added to a pile of another dozen I can name off-hand through the years, all for games I was indifferent as to who won the game....

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It doesn't matter what I think.  It's possible, that's all.

The call did cost them the game.  They could have run the clock down to seconds, kicked a FG and then pooched the kickoff. Game over.

This has been done before....for that very reason;

https://consumerist.com/2010/05/21/jets-fan-sues-patriots-for-cheating-but-loses/

If they wanted to run clock they could have called running plays and forced the Rams to use their two remaining time outs and run the clock under 1 minute.  Their defense could have stopped the Rams in regulation.  They didn't.  Their HOF QB should not have made a terrible decision to throw up that interception in OT.  But he did.  Cost them the game?  OK, people can think it if they want.  I think its an excuse we hear from losers every Monday. 

• Like (+1) 1

Anything to distract from the fact that the Saints had every chance in the world to win the game after the blown PI call and sh** the bed.

I'm quite sure those involved in this lawsuit cognitively realize it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning; it's just something they'll hold on to for as long as possible to pretend like the result doesn't exist. 

At the end of the day, the Rams are playing the Patriots in the Superbowl. All the crying in the world won't change a damn thing.

They want this narrative to linger because it takes the sting out of losing the game. I get it. It's just a waste of everyone's time.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Anything to distract from the fact that the Saints had every chance in the world to win the game after the blown PI call and sh** the bed.

I'm quite sure those involved in this lawsuit cognitively realize it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning; it's just something they'll hold on to for as long as possible to pretend like the result doesn't exist. 

At the end of the day, the Rams are playing the Patriots in the Superbowl. All the crying in the world won't change a damn thing.

They want this narrative to linger as long as possible because it takes the sting out of losing the game.

they are a legendarily hard luck franchise