Replacing Russell Bodine

YoloinOhio

Nobody liked Bodine until he went down with injury, then in came Groy and he was really bad.

Could the Bills replace Russell Bodine with someone already on the roster?

I hope not, keep Bodine and try to improve the position, preferably with an experienced player.

7 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

That’s no excuse to throw away 2 million on a bad player.  He’ll be released 

Exactly- Bodine is not a good Center - he gets no push at all and equally sucks in pass protection. It does snap the ball ok thou ?

6 hours ago, ctk232 said:

Pretty much - don't understand why it's either move on and replace or keep him and scheme around him. Bring in another guy, let the best player win the starting job. 

Also, "not as bad as we feared" is not what you want to hear if you're trying to be a perennial playoff contender. 

Why do we want Bodine competing for the starting job? This team needs a stud center, 2 guards, and a left tackle. The Bills, by far, had the worst line in the league last year. We have cap space and draft picks to overhaul most of the line. 

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

Why do we want Bodine competing for the starting job? This team needs a stud center, 2 guards, and a left tackle. The Bills, by far, had the worst line in the league last year. We have cap space and draft picks to overhaul most of the line. 

Why not? His contract isn't going to kill our cap at its current rate and it's competition to yield strong results. Saying he should compete for the job isn't the same as arguing he's deserving of the starting position. There's just no reason why he can't push the guy we bring in, if we happen to land any at all.

I'd honestly prefer him for depth over Groy in the interior, too.

Edited by ctk232

1 minute ago, ctk232 said:

Why not? His contract isn't going to kill our cap at its current rate and it's competition to yield strong results. Saying he should compete for the job isn't the same as arguing he's deserving of the starting position. There's just no reason why he can't push the guy we bring in, if we happen to land any at all.

I understand your position- just see it differently as I dont think Bodine or Groy can push anyone- but we dont make those decisions and time will tell. In the end, I think we can all agree we want a OL that is strong on all levels- last season we had guards that couldnt pull or set up a screen. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ctk232 said:

Groy is trash. The Bills really shouldn't be cutting anyone for cap reasons. Bodine is a below average starter, but can play if you're in a bind. What diminishes his value is that he can't play guard IIRC. At any rate, I'd be inclined to bring him to camp at the very least. There's pretty much a 0.0 percent chance we'll get anywhere near the cap.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan_34 said:

I understand your position- just see it differently as I dont think Bodine or Groy can push anyone- but we dont make those decisions and time will tell. In the end, I think we can all agree we want a OL that is strong on all levels- last season we had guards that couldnt pull or set up a screen. 

For sure, I'm just trying to accurately gauge my expectations for FA though. Not entirely sure what the likelihood of us picking up more than one OL guy is, for a multitude of variables. But we will still always need depth regardless, until we don't.

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Groy is trash. The Bills really shouldn't be cutting anyone for cap reasons. Bodine is a below average starter, but can play if you're in a bind. What diminishes his value is that he can't play guard IIRC. At any rate, I'd be inclined to bring him to camp at the very least. There's pretty much a 0.0 percent chance we'll get anywhere near the cap.

He's been reported to have the ability to shift inside to Guard, but that was mostly coming out of college those assertions were circulated. I don't think he'd be worthy of starting caliber. My assessment is more in terms of depth along the OL, as I don't think we'll bring in as many OL guys as we need, and likely not as many as people think. No reason to be cutting anyone until we have to, but I agree with Groy's scenario not much left to salvage there.

I'm still entertaining the idea that the answer to our interior woes on the right side is currently playing LT, but two Tackles in one year is a much taller order to fulfill. But we have options for how we approach and offer FAs if the FO and Bobby/McD are open to moving guys around on the line.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

For sure, I'm just trying to accurately gauge my expectations for FA though. Not entirely sure what the likelihood of us picking up more than one OL guy is, for a multitude of variables. But we will still always need depth regardless, until we don't.

2 quality OL in FA is a pretty tall order- but we can hope ?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

We should absolutley look to upgrade the position but i dont see any need to get rid of him. We have cap room, he knows the system, could back up G/C. 

The system may change with new OL coach but unless contract has large bonus due. 

If new OL coach says he cannot use him that is a different issue.

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

He's been reported to have the ability to shift inside to Guard, but that was mostly coming out of college those assertions were circulated. I don't think he'd be worthy of starting caliber. My assessment is more in terms of depth along the OL, as I don't think we'll bring in as many OL guys as we need, and likely not as many as people think. No reason to be cutting anyone until we have to, but I agree with Groy's scenario not much left to salvage there.

I'm still entertaining the idea that the answer to our interior woes on the right side is currently playing LT, but two Tackles in one year is a much taller order to fulfill. But we have options for how we approach and offer FAs if the FO and Bobby/McD are open to moving guys around on the line.

That's a whole lot of shifting and a tall task for Beane. I guess I'm in the minority, but I thought Bodine was adequate. The center is largely a cerebral position and I think he's meh, but not awful. We absolutely NEED to add two starters and they have to be physically imposing and/or mobile. Depending on the way the draft/FA'cy shakes out, it may not be feasible to add 3 STARTERS. Wouldn't be shocked to see Bodine starting in 2019.

You move Dawkins to RG, which I don't hate, and then you're talking about 2 tackles. All of this may not be possible in one offseason.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Bodine has not, does not play guard.

Groy has played center but is actually a guard.

neither of them play center especially well.
what does that mean. since they were the two starting centers ?

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

Bodine has not, does not play guard.

Groy has played center but is actually a guard.

neither of them play center especially well.
what does that mean. since they were the two starting centers ?

Bodine was a hell of alot better than Groy. Groy has no place on the roster. It's gonna be a tall task to add 3 starters. That's all I'm saying. I'm sure the team knows quite a bit more than I do about Bodine's football IQ, but a center is not necessarily where you need a mauler/pocket pusher/puller. We definitely need some of those.

6 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Wouldnt they hire a coach who runs the blocking scheme the OC wants? 

waht ?
 is this a new trend in Buffalo or something ?

I thought we were either firing the new OC already  or he would be called up for a HC job. it was surely one or the other i read.

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Bodine was a hell of alot better than Groy. Groy has no place on the roster. It's gonna be a tall task to add 3 starters. That's all I'm saying. I'm sure the team knows quite a bit more than I do about Bodine's football IQ, but a center is not necessarily where you need a mauler/pocket pusher/puller. We definitely need some of those.

and what do you say when Groy adequately replace Wood when he broke his leg ? He played quite decently over all by most reports.
perhaps both would look better with better guards ?
But Groy and Bodine "seemed " to miss protection call last year

Of course Bodine graded out OK. The line went:

LT- Decent/OK

LG- Bad

C-middling 

RG- bad on most days

RT- middling

How does Bodine grade out if we upgrade both guards to decent players and the A-gap becomes a much bigger target/responsibility for uncle Russ? 

I am pretty wary of players who grade out as “meh” on bad units in any sport. More often than not it seems it’s because it’s just much easier everywhere else. 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

How does Bodine grade out if we upgrade both guards to decent players and the A-gap becomes a much bigger target/responsibility for uncle Russ? 

Anecdotally, it would seem effectiveness from the center position has been largely dependent on guard play. At least in the Bills case. That's why I could live with Bodine if we add 2 above average players at any of the other positions.