Replacing Russell Bodine

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Keeping someone just cause you have the cap room is bad business and bad management.  I certainly hope Beane doesn’t have your mindset.  

You can only fill so many spots. Bodine knows the offense and played at a decent level. It’s not like he was a giant liability or something out there. Was he? You’re confident it’s easy to find a starting and backup center in free agency and the draft? 

Along with how many other starters? Backups? What are the chances you pay someone 3-5 million for 3-5 years in free agency and they are worse than Bodine? 

My point isn’t you keep players just for the sake of keeping them cause you have money, the point is you cut players after you have the replacements not before. That’s bad business in my opinion. Opening hopes before you’ve filled any. If they sign say Paradis and still draft another center then sure you can let Bodine go. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bodine was ok at times, awful at others, but never good. He's not a top-32 Center in the NFL. That said, he was much better than Groy.

We really need to upgrade Center, but I agree with keeping Bodine 1 more year as depth. Groy can walk.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s certainly cheap enough to keep around as depth. I would, however, expect him to be replaced as starter. 

Pretty much - don't understand why it's either move on and replace or keep him and scheme around him. Bring in another guy, let the best player win the starting job. 

Also, "not as bad as we feared" is not what you want to hear if you're trying to be a perennial playoff contender. 

The Bills 100% need an upgrade at center. It's the third most important offensive position, after QB and LT. Everyone knows a young QB's best friend is a quality center. Ask Jim Kelly how he felt about Kent Hull.

I really, REALLY hope the Bills don't rest on their laurels at the center position. It's a huge need. I'm fine with keeping Bodine as a backup.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

possibly.   the O Line as a whole need an upgrade.   Is he the worst of the bunch?   If not keep some consistency for Josh in 2019. 

Bodine was arguably the best starter outside of Dion Dawkins and/or Jordan Mills. Personally I'd rather spend free agent money on an upgrade to RT/RG and draft a C/G prospect in the mid rounds to compete to start with Bodine. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

Pretty much - don't understand why it's either move on and replace or keep him and scheme around him. Bring in another guy, let the best player win the starting job. 

Also, "not as bad as we feared" is not what you want to hear if you're trying to be a perennial playoff contender. 

I just wonder if the Bills get a top C in FA and then draft a young C or you vet C that is better than Groy and Bodine.  I think the Bills will be ugrading starters and backups.

1 minute ago, PIZ said:

I just wonder if the Bills get a top C in FA and then draft a young C or you vet C that is better than Groy and Bodine.  I think the Bills will be ugrading starters and backups.

Signs so far point to them looking to make those moves - I'd expect them to also make a run at Glowinski and prioritize RG/RT just as equally knowing they likely won't land all three guys, they could make pretty aggressive offers. I'm fine with Bodine as depth as he can also play interior guard. Injuries are crucial along the OL when they happen, so I'm fine with keeping him at his current price.

We'll obviously know in a few weeks when they start hosting and signing where the priorities likely lie, but I'd imagine the larger chunks of money to be spent along the OL.

• Like (+1) 1

I think finding a starting center will be their #1 off-season goal and it will be the one position they severely overpay to get one of Morse or Paradis. I have my money on Paradis. He’s much more likely to leave Denver than Morse is KC. Denver is about to go out and try to find a young QB build around, (unless they try to get on the Foles train). 

His play last year was better then I expected, and adequate for a  back up level player..

He will probably be a bit overpaid to be the backup in 2019, but it’s jot huge dollars and it will be only for a year..

I prefer that they find his replacement in FA and preferably one of the two big names... otherwise they will have to draft a C  early, and maybe Bodine will be the season starter whilst rookie gets up to speed..

There will be plenty of turnover on the OL with Groy, Mills, Ducasse and probably Miller and McDermott unlikely to be there Week 1 2019..Makes sense to being Bodine  back at this stage..

Edited by Aussie Joe

Outside of the pats game,I thought Groy held his own the last qtr of the season.Imo,he was a mess last preseason and when he was playing musical chairs with Bodine before the injury...bottom line,for me,I would keep Groy as a back up.p.s.-Bodine was bad in Cincinnati too..