Replacing Russell Bodine

YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Anecdotally, it would seem effectiveness from the center position has been largely dependent on guard play. At least in the Bills case. That's why I could live with Bodine if we add 2 above average players at any of the other positions.

Oh so could I...IF we upgrade BOTH pieces around him. 

Just sort of thinking out loud. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's a whole lot of shifting and a tall task for Beane. I guess I'm in the minority, but I thought Bodine was adequate. The center is largely a cerebral position and I think he's meh, but not awful. We absolutely NEED to add two starters and they have to be physically imposing and/or mobile. Depending on the way the draft/FA'cy shakes out, it may not be feasible to add 3 STARTERS. Wouldn't be shocked to see Bodine starting in 2019.

You move Dawkins to RG, which I don't hate, and then you're talking about 2 tackles. All of this may not be possible in one offseason.

Likely not - but I'd hope they're at least open to the idea depending on if we sign a tackle like D. Williams, and even draft another if the value pick is there at the right time. Dawkins in the middle as a pulling guard would be reminiscent of Richie if I had to bet one way or the other. Guy took this year off, admittedly, so nothing good there, but he clearly likes the physical aspect and was responsible for a couple pancakes. His mobility would also get me hyped for the pulling blocks and second level LB seals. Imagine if we were to land Glowinski via Bobby and either move Dawkins inside or developing Teller.

As for Bodine, I agree he was adequate but I'm not sold that he's what we should anchor our OL with either. Those cerebral qualities of the Center to dictate blocking adjustments and trade-offs needs to develop. And who knows, maybe he will under Bobby and the new OL scheme, but I'm not one to hold my breath there. Keep him as the option until we have someone better. That being said, I too wouldn't be surprised to see him as our starter going into next year just based upon probability of landing guys in FA. 

Either way - with 2-3 solid holes to fill along our OL, our best approach to address as many of them as possible would be to sign whoever we can in FA and remain open to adjusting positions to best fill what holes are there. I'm also curious to see how existing guys may develop/change under Bobby as opposed to Castillo - Miller may be a lost cause at this point, but had a great first year, and I'd like to see how Teller gets along this year as well. Lots of unknowns with the new assistant coming in but with so many holes, you've got to keep your options open.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Anecdotally, it would seem effectiveness from the center position has been largely dependent on guard play. At least in the Bills case. That's why I could live with Bodine if we add 2 above average players at any of the other positions.

you guys know this was my idea.

Lets never give up on the concept that Coaching goes a rather long way.
Offensive lines are funny animals in how , many things need to go right each play for success . execution of the play called is big.

But making the right protection call is key imho for Allen and the run game as well.
Having a center who is solid and steady? 

That is a position you want to secure at a high level long term.
Then you guard him up. game changer fixing the interior of the Bills line.
Is Bodine that Guy ?

I would shoot higher as how i value the position.

excuse the ramble

: (

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

I have to believe that Morse or Paradise and Darryl Williams will be MAJOR targets come March 13th.

22 million in cap space will be spent on fixing C and RT immediately come March 13th.

2 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

We'll be true winners when we finally stop attempting to justify mediocrity.  Most of the OL has to go.

Changing coordinators last year and changing line Coach this year , should be in lockstep as to what players they are looking for this off season.
and they KNOW they must upgrade the Line Play significantly. Coaches are in place

Now its getting the right players at the right price ( subjective )

I would overspend for two O line men and still look early in the draft. But thats just me