Replacing Russell Bodine

YoloinOhio

Russell Bodine played a pretty competent brand of football in his first year with the Buffalo Bills. Never dominating in the trenches, Bodine was rarely a liability either. It was common to see Bodine helping out his guards with blocks and at times looked like the best protector for Buffalo. With Bodine at center, Buffalo is unlikely to establish a power running game without some true maulers to flank him. A more finesse and speed based game should be an easier style to get going with Bodine and require less overhaul around him (though it would still need some).

It’s widely expected that the Buffalo Bills will seek to improve the offensive line this offseason and Russell Bodine shouldn’t be considered safe.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Over $80 mil in cap space ... Why do they need to save a little cash?  

I

Good Centers don't grow on trees.  It's always good to have a quality backup tho

He’s certainly cheap enough to keep around as depth. I would, however, expect him to be replaced as starter. 

• Like (+1) 7

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s certainly cheap enough to keep around as depth. I would, however, expect him to be replaced as starter. 

If they can't get one of the better centers in FA, but end up drafting one, then he may hold down the position until the player is ready.  Hopefully they will be able to upgrade in FA though.

I know you need a dance partner to trade down.

However, it would be intriguing to trade down in Round 1, get a tackle, get a WR with the Bills 2nd round pick and then pick up one of those tier 1 Cs in round 2 with what you got in the trade down.

Jeepers can you imagine if you also pick a G and T in FA?!

...sorry, just like thinking about it.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

I would say given what Bodine did this past year they will be better off keeping him as a depth player if they get another center in the draft or FA .

Groy was suppose to be that guy but he didn't pan out so if they let him go Kromer will more than likely pick him up as a rotational guy in LA which was the club that offered him a contract when the Bills gave him his extension so keeping Bodine will be a good move & upgrade from wha they had as a back up plan !! 

Edited by T master
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Good Centers don't grow on trees.  It's always good to have a quality backup tho

Well luckily for the Bills, Bodine is neither a good center nor a quality backup.

41 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I

That’s no excuse to throw away 2 million on a bad player.  He’ll be released 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Well luckily for the Bills, Bodine is neither a good center nor a quality backup.

29 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

That’s no excuse to throw away 2 million on a bad player.  He’ll be released 

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Based on the All-22 analysis, I think he’s a decent backup at a decent salary. 

If the FO thinks he's not the starter they will do something about it.  

Part of my comment as its such a small amount when you have over $80 million to spend on what 10 to 20 new players?

I can never understand with how many holes the team has already why so many are cut happy. It’s not our money, they have more cap than they can probably spend and why would you want more holes? Bad enough we have starter needs already to fill which is insanely hard as is, why create more depth holes? 

Bodine certainly isn’t an elite center but he’s more than serviceable and that contract is dirt cheap for a player who can start when needed. What’s the harm in him playing out this year under that salary? We have seen how much it sucks to have street free agent pickups mid season come in and start 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I can never understand with how many holes the team has already why so many are cut happy. It’s not our money, they have more cap than they can probably spend and why would you want more holes? Bad enough we have starter needs already to fill which is insanely hard as is, why create more depth holes? 

Bodine certainly isn’t an elite center but he’s more than serviceable and that contract is dirt cheap for a player who can start when needed. What’s the harm in him playing out this year under that salary? We have seen how much it sucks to have street free agent pickups mid season come in and start 

Keeping someone just cause you have the cap room is bad business and bad management.  I certainly hope Beane doesn’t have your mindset.  

Paradis and Mitch Morse are going to be the main attractions. The other guy, coming off of injury is Nick Easton. He is better than Bodine, but a notch below those other guys. 

I think the best centers in the draft aren't actually centers, and that's Jonah Williams and Dalton Risner. They are both projections, but I think they could both be elite centers, especially Williams. I like Deiter too. 

You definitely kepe Bodine for depth. And I would be okay with him as a starter if they upgraded the guards. Like say they miss out on Paradis and Morse and instead sign Spain and Glowinski, well now Bodine will be more serviceable because he is surrounded by better players. 

I think the best thing for Josh Allen is a veteran center. If you watched KC closely this year, Morse and Mahomes had a ton of communication and I think Morse was clearly not the issue in pass protections. They are going to be hurting for cap space, so I do think he will shake free. 

Paradis seemed like a guy that would re-sign with the Broncos, but now I think maybe he goes elsewhere. He is a smallish zone center, perfect for teh Kubiaks and Shanahans of the world. I don't think he is a Mike Munchak type of center. I could see Paradis going to Arizona or Minnesota. If he follows Kubiak, I might make a call to the Vikings about the availability of Pat Elflein, who is not a great zone fit as a guy who is solid, but lacks quickness.

But my #1A plan is to sign Mitch Morse. He's a great fit and very scheme versatile. He's a leader, and he is a great communicator on the line. He's my favorite player in free agency. I don't love Paradis because I think he is a zone only center, and I hope Daboll goes to more of a power running scheme like we saw with the Patriots this year. If that's the case I try to sign Morse, or attempt a trade for Elflein. I'd be fine with Paradis, but I think Morse should be our focus. 

• Like (+1) 2