Schefter gets hammered by Bills fans for Saints BTB losses tweet

4 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Just so I'm straight, we get mad when the media repetitively mentions bad things about Buffalo, and also when the media ignores bad things about Buffalo.  Right?

Its all about us even when its not about us ;)

I understand the uproar and the head coach crying the blues after the game.  The play was an obvious PI, even Robey said it was PI.  But it didn't directly cost the Saints the game.  It wasn't a 4th down throw trailing with little time left.  The game was tied and the result was a 4th down FG to take a 3 point lead with 1:40 left.  Their defense didn't stop the Rams from tying the game, the Saints won the coin toss, and Brees threw a pick on an ill-advised throw which led to a short Rams drive for the winning OT FG.

Officials miss calls and make some bad ones.  It happens every week and it happens in every sport at every level.  The Saints aren't the first team to lose a game because of a bad call or non-call during the game.  I haven't seen a lot of Saints football but I'll wager they've benefited during the season in one way or another from something not being called.  It's the importance of the event that magnifies it here. 

And if we're talking worst official call on a pass play I would cite the Bills/Patriots during the Wade Phillips era when the Bills were called for the only Hail Mary PI in the history of professional football.  Next play Patriots score with zero on the clock and win the game.  Rule changes followed. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'd like to see the Competition Committee change things so that Coaches would be able to challenge penalties.  This would go a long way towards fixing the problem.

I do not believe it would change much of anything and that was inside 2 minutes - couldn’t challenge - the league would then need to decide to challenge it.  

Just do not not see it happening anytime soon.

19 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

He’s definitely right.  The manner in which they lost each of those games is on par with the Music City Miracle.  We did not lose two playoff games in back to back seasons in improbable fashion to the extent the Saints have.

Not good at math but id rather lose 2 NFC Champ games than 4 superbowls, idk how theres even a comparison.  Id also say "wide right" trumps either of the saints loses

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

We're not trying to solve the Saints problem, it's a league wide problem. They have to eliminate bad refs. 

Is there a better crop of refs out there we havent interviewed?  Its a crazy fast paced game that comes down to literal millimeters for 7 old guys to monitor 22 bigger guys,  Human error is implied and will always be a  huge factor in games unless you replay every single down.  Theres just no avoiding it

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/21/2019 at 3:43 PM, Binghamton Beast said:

Who cares? So what?

I’m so sick of these freaking SB losses being wore like some badge of honor.

Considering we are the only team to do it, then yeah, it's KIND OF A BIG DEAL. 

If you can't be proud of the achievement, then I guess you chose the wrong team. Considering we haven't even SNIFFED an AFC Championship Game much less a Super Bowl since the mid 90s, I'd say your take is WAY off base.

On 1/21/2019 at 1:57 PM, That's No Moon said:

Just so I'm straight, we get mad when the media repetitively mentions bad things about Buffalo, and also when the media ignores bad things about Buffalo.  Right?

sounds about right.

On 1/21/2019 at 2:11 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Im starting to think Bills fans are a little sensitive...

we.. suck round here about things like this. Good god I'm embarrassed.

My favorite: "YOU WOULDN"T BELIEVE WHAT THIS A-HOLE (who doesn't give a crap about the Bills) GAVE A PASSING SLEIGHT AT THE BILLS! SPORTS JOURNALISM SUCKS!"

one week later: "Nice, Josh Allen got props by a national media author, he said he's athletic"

a couple of posts later: "WHAT AN A-HOLE, IS HE SAYING JA IS ONLY A RUNNING QUARTERBACK! WHO DARES MENTION ATHLETICISM IN MY QUARTERBACK. THE SLOWER THE BETTER.. OBVIOUSLY FAKE NEWS."

two weeks later: "PFF says if you take away all JA's bad throws he's a perfect passer. Nice."

And the circle of life continues.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Not good at math but id rather lose 2 NFC Champ games than 4 superbowls, idk how theres even a comparison.  Id also say "wide right" trumps either of the saints loses

I’m arguing apples, you’re arguing oranges.  Dudes miss 47 yard field goals all the time.  Especially in 1990.  On grass.  With that pressure.  Immaculate receptions, Music City miacles, Minneapolis miracles and the worst non-call in the history of the sport, do not happen often.

On 1/21/2019 at 3:27 PM, metzelaars_lives said:

He’s definitely right.  The manner in which they lost each of those games is on par with the Music City Miracle.  We did not lose two playoff games in back to back seasons in improbable fashion to the extent the Saints have.

Really?

Ronnie Harmon's drop in the end zone in 1989 followed by Norwide "Wide Right" in 1990's Super Bowl is a little worse I think.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

I’m arguing apples, you’re arguing oranges.  Dudes miss 47 yard field goals all the time.  Especially in 1990.  On grass.  With that pressure.  Immaculate receptions, Music City miacles, Minneapolis miracles and the worst non-call in the history of the sport, do not happen often.

You know what happens even less?  Losing 4 straight championships. Not often do those missed field goals decide a super bowl either. A missed tackle in a divisional game and a missed call, on what other posters are saying was a stupid play call to begin with,  and a missed penalty.  Ill give you the music city miracle but the rest are just more recent. 

On 1/21/2019 at 4:51 PM, dickleyjones said:

it is the wrong call in a vacuum, yes, i agree. but in the context of the game it may be correct. there were many other 'missed' PI calls yesterday. that's how it goes with judgment calls, the refs set a precedent and hopefully uphold it all game. 

edit: and to add replay into the mix totally undermines the refs' precedent.

I see your point, but a complicating issue is that it wasn't just PI, it was helmet-to-helmet as well.

If the NFL is going to effectively pretend to care about head trauma, they can't let them go all game, or let one go because they may have missed another.

They have got to find a way to call them consistently.  Maybe they need a "head shot" ref reviewing film or something, I dunno.

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I see your point, but a complicating issue is that it wasn't just PI, it was helmet-to-helmet as well.

If the NFL is going to effectively pretend to care about head trauma, they can't let them go all game, or let one go because they may have missed another.

They have got to find a way to call them consistently.  Maybe they need a "head shot" ref reviewing film or something, I dunno.

good point. the helmet-to-helmet does matter.

still, they miss those both ways and they can be judgment calls. it's a tough one.

14 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Really?

Ronnie Harmon's drop in the end zone in 1989 followed by Norwide "Wide Right" in 1990's Super Bowl is a little worse I think.

No.  It's definitely not.  You are failing to grasp exactly what would happen in Buffalo if they got jobbed the way the Saints did on Sunday.  Again, dudes drop passes and miss field goals in almost every single NFL game.  Guys do not avoid PI calls while nearly decapitating the intended receiver a full second before a catchable ball arrives, ever.  

6 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

No.  It's definitely not.  You are failing to grasp exactly what would happen in Buffalo if they got jobbed the way the Saints did on Sunday.  Again, dudes drop passes and miss field goals in almost every single NFL game.  Guys do not avoid PI calls while nearly decapitating the intended receiver a full second before a catchable ball arrives, ever.  

Ok then whoever is blocking Jerry Hughes could get called for holding every play. Dude is literally tackled half the time and nothing is called...

I'm sure there are plenty of bad calls/no calls if you want to look back through every game.

Bottom line is Saints were at home up 13-0 against a team that looked scared to be in the moment and instead of destroying them early they let them back in the game. The only people the Saints have to blame are themselves for allowing the Rams to hang around instead of making it over by halftime. Honestly they deserved to lose the game because they didnt handle their business the way they should have.

Edited by matter2003

16 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Ok then whoever is blocking Jerry Hughes could get called for holding every play. Dude is literally tackled half the time and nothing is called...

I'm sure there are plenty of bad calls/no calls if you want to look back through every game.

Bottom line is Saints were at home up 13-0 against a team that looked scared to be in the moment and instead of destroying them early they let them back in the game. The only people the Saints have to blame are themselves for allowing the Rams to hang around instead of making it over by halftime. Honestly they deserved to lose the game because they didnt handle their business the way they should have.

Yeah and the Bills should've/could've and had every opportunity to put away the Giants.