Schefter gets hammered by Bills fans for Saints BTB losses tweet

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

We're not trying to solve the Saints problem, it's a league wide problem. They have to eliminate bad refs. 

Ugh!  The current example is the Saints...right?  Sheeeesh

"Eliminating bad refs" is a lot easier said than done, and will only happen after a team gets screwed. Wouldn't be easier to have a system that can correct for a bad call on the field?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

"Eliminating bad refs" is a lot easier said than done, and will only happen after a team gets screwed. Wouldn't be easier to have a system that can correct for a bad call on the field?

I want refs to be able to make obvious calls. The problem with challenging penalties is most of them are not obvious. I'm fine with human error, but too many times there are calls and non calls that make fans question the integrity of the game. 

6 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

i wonder if it was. relatively speaking.

You could question early or late, but you can't question if he was playing the ball or if he turned his head. It was a textbook PI call. 

You can't miss that call without losing your job. Any ref could have called it, which only makes me think it was decided before hand not to call PI. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

a bad call according to who? that is the problem. the refs were loose yesterday, all game. were they all bad calls? i remember thinking "wow, this is great, they are letting them play rough today!" but suddenly they are supposed to not be loose at the very end? and we want a system that allows us to cherry pick bad calls when context should be considered?

i like how it happened yesterday just fine. i'm not sure how bad that call was considering the many no calls for the entire game.

3 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

You could question early or late, but you can't question if he was playing the ball or if he turned his head. It was a textbook PI call. 

i'm not questioning the PI. i'm saying context matters. for example: if the refs let 9 PI calls go uncalled, 6 maybes, 3 obvious, why call the obvious 10th?

3 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

a bad call according to who? that is the problem. the refs were loose yesterday, all game. were they all bad calls? i remember thinking "wow, this is great, they are letting them play rough today!" but suddenly they are supposed to not be loose at the very end? and we want a system that allows us to cherry pick bad calls when context should be considered?

i like how it happened yesterday just fine. i'm not sure how bad that call was considering the many no calls for the entire game.

i'm not questioning the PI. i'm saying context matters. for example: if the refs let 9 PI calls go uncalled, 6 maybes, 3 obvious, why call the obvious 10th?

I love letting them play. That wasn't letting them play. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

I love letting them play. That wasn't letting them play. 

ok. but maybe some of the missed calls earlier in the game was also not letting them play. shouldn't context matter? it's either that or demand that every single penalty be called which i assume no one wants.

1 minute ago, dickleyjones said:

ok. but maybe some of the missed calls earlier in the game was also not letting them play. shouldn't context matter? it's either that or demand that every single penalty be called which i assume no one wants.

There is a difference. I don't typically blame refs. Pro sports are hard to call, game is fast. But there are times it's obvious the refs purposely don't make a call or call something that clearly wasn't a foul. This was one of those times. The question is why? 

The bigger question is why aren't the refs held accountable? 

24 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

There is a difference. I don't typically blame refs. Pro sports are hard to call, game is fast. But there are times it's obvious the refs purposely don't make a call or call something that clearly wasn't a foul. This was one of those times. The question is why? 

The bigger question is why aren't the refs held accountable? 

once again, i think it matters that other obvious calls were not made. if the game was called really tight all day and then suddenly this play happens and no call, that's bad. but that's not how it went down.

as for accountability, since the job requires judgement calls we don't want to complicate things. we don't need the refs thinking "hmm i better call this or i'll be in trouble". we just want them to call the game as straight up as they can. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Four straight Super Bowl losses? Yeah...

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/expo/sports/g66l-2019/01/0fd80941c78789/buffalo-bills-fans-media-remind-adam-schefter-that-saints-suffering-far-from-worst.html

I mentioned it yesterday that the couple of calls against us were far more egregious than one non-PI call, which had Sean Peyton merely ran the ball they more than likely would have won.

:14 left and :00 left on the clock for three egregious calls in two games didn't leave us the same chance!

My tweet made it :lol: 

1 hour ago, dickleyjones said:

What?  The Rams pass interference was not a bad call...it was the wrong call.  If the Coach was allowed to challenge that call, or the booth within the last two minutes, it would definitely have been a penalty.  Likewise, the Chiefs roughing the passer call would have been reversed since the defender clearly didn't hit the QB in the head.  These penalties have just as much of an impact on the outcome of a game as a turnover does, (and possibly as much as a touchdown does),...and both turnovers and touchdowns are both now automatically reviewed.  I would have no problem with a coach being allowed to use one of his two challenges on either reversing or calling a penalty.

32 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What?  The Rams pass interference was not a bad call...it was the wrong call.  If the Coach was allowed to challenge that call, or the booth within the last two minutes, it would definitely have been a penalty.  Likewise, the Chiefs roughing the passer call would have been reversed since the defender clearly didn't hit the QB in the head.  These penalties have just as much of an impact on the outcome of a game as a turnover does, (and possibly as much as a touchdown does),...and both turnovers and touchdowns are both now automatically reviewed.  I would have no problem with a coach being allowed to use one of his two challenges on either reversing or calling a penalty.

it is the wrong call in a vacuum, yes, i agree. but in the context of the game it may be correct. there were many other 'missed' PI calls yesterday. that's how it goes with judgment calls, the refs set a precedent and hopefully uphold it all game. 

edit: and to add replay into the mix totally undermines the refs' precedent.

Edited by dickleyjones

I think a part of what's being overlooked on the horrific non PI call is the distance the play occurred from the ball. 

It wasn't your typical interference where the DB, the WR, and the ball were all tangled up in the same spot. Certainly not absolving the official of blame, but I haven't heard that mentioned. Sans the interference, it would have been a catchable ball, but my initial thought was the ref could have whiffed on the call because it appeared uncatchable. Just a thought.

As to the topic, I find it insane that Bills fans would feel "slighted" by a missed reference to the miserable 4 straight Superbowl losses. Who the hell wants to be reminded of that?

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

No way he should have thrown the slant to Thomas on first down.  I had no clue what he was doing.   Even if they dont get the 1st running the ball, they milk more of the clock and still kick the field goal.  At the very least the Rams dont have time outs left.

I agree the safe play there was to run the clock and give the ball back to the Rams with about 50 seconds and no timeouts, however, the first down pass was open and Brees just threw it into the ground.  He had a couple big misses yesterday.

27 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

As to the topic, I find it insane that Bills fans would feel "slighted" by a missed reference to the miserable 4 straight Superbowl losses. Who the hell wants to be reminded of that?

Some fans don't want to ever miss a chance to play the 'woe is us' card.  Bills fans are nearing territory that was once held by Red Sox and Cubs fans.

Edited by KD in CA