Favorite, and Least Favorite, Stand Up Comedians

12 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Sandler, he single handidly keeps a bunch of untalented friends working for years, even though you would question how he continues to get work these days.....

you guys are making me hate him even more!

14 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Stanhope I cannot listen to anymore. He’s progressed so little that I’m beginning to think it’s not an act, which is just sad.

the last time i hear some of his act he sounded physically awful.  i know he prides himself on being the classic tortured comedian, but i can get old.  he does have a strange life though.  doug's mom requested that he roast her while she committed suicide, and he did it.  when she was dead, he used her credit cards to buy a bunch of ***** and didn't have to pay for it.

Favorite male comedian: Brian Regan. Clean sense of humor and really gets to the nitty gritty of every day things in a humorous way (the guy who created "blank inside" cards and the guy who called into CBS to report the birds chirping in the background during The Masters were not anywhere near Georgia...discovered CBS used fake bird noises during the tournament...funny bits).

Favorite female comedian: Lisa Lampanelli. They say her act (likeDon Rickles) is the easiest form of comedy but she absolutely kills it making fun of every race/gender/sexual orientation in the audience.  

Honorable mention to Frank Caliendo - I enjoy listening to his impressions

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I think Larry Davis is horrible 

Fluffy is cool  (Gabriel Iglesias)

Larry David ?   

if so woooooooof, Curb your enthusiasm is the goat.    And that whole Seinfeld show ??

Edited by Teddy KGB

14 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Silverman has had a couple funny moments, could probably count on less than one hand how many times Shumer has been funny. It's tough to find funny female comics, mostly cause they are all the same with the same routine. It's either talking about sex/dating and "female health issues"......

Sara Silverman was funny for a while. But she's kind of a one trick pony. Once you get over the cute, innocent seeming girl, saying dirty things, a lot of it stops being funny. 

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Favorite male comedian: Brian Regan. Clean sense of humor and really gets to the nitty gritty of every day things in a humorous way (the guy who created "blank inside" cards and the guy who called into CBS to report the birds chirping in the background during The Masters were not anywhere near Georgia...discovered CBS used fake bird noises during the tournament...funny bits).

Favorite female comedian: Lisa Lampanelli. They say her act (likeDon Rickles) is the easiest form of comedy but she absolutely kills it making fun of every race/gender/sexual orientation in the audience.  

Honorable mention to Frank Caliendo - I enjoy listening to his impressions

I love Brian Regan. The one that he broadcast live was probably the best. His last one, I hate to say it, was really weak. Caliendo is hilarious. 

14 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

If you find any funny clips from Silverman or Shumer can you post them ? 

I’ve never laughed once at either of them. 

I watched Amy Schumer's entire special. Through the whole thing, I remember finding one thing very mildly funny. Not enough to laugh, but enough to think it might have been funny. Her problem is, even the rare times she gets to a joke that might be funny, her timing is so bad and she ruins it. 

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Sara Silverman was funny for a while. But she's kind of a one trick pony. Once you get over the cute, innocent seeming girl, saying dirty things, a lot of it stops being funny. 

I agree, her act is mostly her trying to be dirty, with some holocaust and 9/11 jokes sprinkled in. I dont hate her,  just find she is over rated.

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I watched Amy Schumer's entire special. Through the whole thing, I remember finding one thing very mildly funny. Not enough to laugh, but enough to think it might have been funny. Her problem is, even the rare times she gets to a joke that might be funny, her timing is so bad and she ruins it. 

Schumer is similar, go on stage trying to be the cute/sweet girl who says dirty things for shock value.

Lisa Lampenelli is similar as a one trick pony, her entire act is mostly about her love of Black and Gay men. We get it, you are a bigger woman who likes being a *****. Joan Rivers was similar, except her act was more about insulting others.

There are good female comics, but I think there are more bad then good. I think the problem is most female comics tend to be the same, and their acts are all similar, they feel they all have to be shocking/dirty to be funny. Not that I am much of a fan of hers, but Ellen is one of the few that doesnt fit that mold. I have found Kathleen Maddigan to be pretty funny, and she also doesnt fit that mold.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

I agree, her act is mostly her trying to be dirty, with some holocaust and 9/11 jokes sprinkled in. I dont hate her,  just find she is over rated.

Schumer is similar, go on stage trying to be the cute/sweet girl who says dirty things for shock value.

Lisa Lampenelli is similar as a one trick pony, her entire act is mostly about her love of Black and Gay men. We get it, you are a bigger woman who likes being a *****. Joan Rivers was similar, except her act was more about insulting others.

There are good female comics, but I think there are more bad then good. I think the problem is most female comics tend to be the same, and their acts are all similar, they feel they all have to be shocking/dirty to be funny. Not that I am much of a fan of hers, but Ellen is one of the few that doesnt fit that mold. I have found Kathleen Maddigan to be pretty funny, and she also doesnt fit that mold.

Yeah. Kathleen Maddigan is hilarious.

Best: 

Anthony Jeselnik - His Thoughts And Prayers special was one of the best sets I have ever seen.  Offensive and hilarious!  If you haven't seen it and enjoy no holds barred comedy, you need to check it out.

John Caparulo,  Jim Gaffigan, Mike Birbiglia, Rodney, are some of the best.

Worst:

Robin Williams - I never understood how anyone could find him funny.

Jim Jefferies, Trevor Noah, and worst of all, Samantha Bee.

5 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

Best: 

Anthony Jeselnik - His Thoughts And Prayers special was one of the best sets I have ever seen.  Offensive and hilarious!  If you haven't seen it and enjoy no holds barred comedy, you need to check it out.

Worst:

I've seen Caparulo live twice. Super nice guy. He's my brother's all time favorite comedian. I happened to see him on the night of my brother's birthday, who still lives up in Buffalo. He called him and wished him a happy birthday, and talked to him on my phone for like two minutes. 

Jeselnik is funny, and talented. But not my style. I don't mind shocking humor, but just shock for shock gets kinda old.

15 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

Best: 

Worst:

Gaffigan and Birbiglia are good. I think Robin William's was better in movies and TV then a traditional stand up though. Samantha Bee is ok, but not great, because a good chunk of her act is political I can see how some might not like it. I like Trevor Noah and have watched his specials. Jim Jeffries is meh to me I dont hate him, but cant really say I like him.

The only standup I have seen live that I can remember was Lewis Black who was great, and Canadian Rick Mercer, his show was alright but was mostly him just talking about stories from his TV show and showing clips.

I have never been able to stand Jeselnik, his act just seems offensive to be offensive and everything is just to be shocking. I would rather listen to Daniel Tosh who can be offensive but not as much.

One of my favorite standup specials was Eugene Merman 'Vegan on his way to the Complaint Store'. I also have watch John Molanys specials and thought they were pretty good, but I found his short lived TV show was horrible.

I think with some, they may be funny, but more as actors in movies or TV, but not great doing traditional standup and also the opposite for others, great at traditional standup but bad in shows or movies.

18 hours ago, Another Fan said:

He was before my time but I was a big Andy Kaufman fan.  Well if you even consider him a comedian.  He was so ahead of his time in many ways.  For example Borat kinda stole from Andy’s foreign man routine 

He is the only famous “stand-up” comedian I’ve ever seen. I forget the year but it was around 1980 or so at Purdue and pretty heavy on his SNL stuff, good show, I was entertained. I saw Marcel Marceau there too, but I don’t think he counts. :D

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Sandler, he single handidly keeps a bunch of untalented friends working for years, even though you would question how he continues to get work these days.....

the worst successful total hack ever

4 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I also have watch John Molanys specials and thought they were pretty good, but I found his short lived TV show was horrible.

I think with some, they may be funny, but more as actors in movies or TV, but not great doing traditional standup and also the opposite for others, great at traditional standup but bad in shows or movies.

Reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg Joke.

When you're in Hollywood and you're a comedian, everybody wants you to do other things. All right, you're a stand-up comedian, can you write us a script? That's not fair. That's like if I worked hard to become a cook, and I'm a really good cook, they'd say, "OK, you're a cook. Can you farm?"

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg Joke.

When you're in Hollywood and you're a comedian, everybody wants you to do other things. All right, you're a stand-up comedian, can you write us a script? That's not fair. That's like if I worked hard to become a cook, and I'm a really good cook, they'd say, "OK, you're a cook. Can you farm?"

Was that Hedberg? I remember hearing that one before.

• Like (+1) 1