Favorite, and Least Favorite, Stand Up Comedians

3 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

My all time favorite is Rodney Dangerfield. Of course Carlin, Eddie Murphy, Prior, Cosby (despite his background) are great. Some of the more modern ones I like are Bill Burr, Louis CK, John Mulaney. John Cappurllo. 

Overrated: Jeff Dunham. Amy Schumer. Kevin Hart. Never thought any of them were very funny. Kevin Hart has some good movies, but he's not that great in standup. We get it, you're short and black. Next. 

We have the exact same taste.  I'd add that I think Chappelle is hilarious too.  And I loved that Rod Man from last comic standing, kind of faded out though.  I always felt that Sam Kinison was overrated.  Its funny for a few minutes, but gets old really quick to me. 

Edited by Mark80

Favorite all time is Seinfeld.  Amazingly funny without needing to be filthy.  And to show I'm fine with filthy, too, Chris Rock is hard to top.  Eddie Murphy and George Carlin.  Among female comics I like Joan Rivers (RIP), Ellen, Sarah Silverman, Amy Schumer, and Whitney Cummings.  I think I'd have loved Rickles in the day.  Sam Kinison had his moments but overall I wasn't a big fan.  I don't follow enough individual male comics these days to know one from the other.  Just listened to Sebastian Maniscalco on Stern last week so I'm going to watch his Netflix special.

21 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Bill Burr and Joe Rogan right now. Hannibal Buress also.

The ones I don't like I forget. I do remember George Lopez being terrible.

Every time he talks about things that Mexicans do, it always seems to be things that most people I know, regardless of ethnic background, did. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, teef said:

i love bill burr and john mulaney as mentioned earlier, (just saw his special on nextflix this weekend).  dave chappelle of course, pete holmes, doug stanhope, paul f thompkins and i know there's others, but these are the ones who come to mind.

not my least favorite, but i saw seinfeld last year and thought it was average at best.  i was also given expensive tickets, (almost $300) to see sebastian maniscalco...meh.

Stanhope I cannot listen to anymore. He’s progressed so little that I’m beginning to think it’s not an act, which is just sad.

2 hours ago, eball said:

Favorite all time is Seinfeld.  Amazingly funny without needing to be filthy.  And to show I'm fine with filthy, too, Chris Rock is hard to top.  Eddie Murphy and George Carlin.  Among female comics I like Joan Rivers (RIP), Ellen, Sarah Silverman, Amy Schumer, and Whitney Cummings.  I think I'd have loved Rickles in the day.  Sam Kinison had his moments but overall I wasn't a big fan.  I don't follow enough individual male comics these days to know one from the other.  Just listened to Sebastian Maniscalco on Stern last week so I'm going to watch his Netflix special.

If you find any funny clips from Silverman or Shumer can you post them ? 

I’ve never laughed once at either of them. 

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

Silverman has had a couple funny moments, could probably count on less than one hand how many times Shumer has been funny. It's tough to find funny female comics, mostly cause they are all the same with the same routine. It's either talking about sex/dating and "female health issues"......

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

Silverman has had a couple funny moments, could probably count on less than one hand how many times Shumer has been funny. It's tough to find funny female comics, mostly cause they are all the same with the same routine. It's either talking about sex/dating and "female health issues"......

Whitney seems alright.    Iliza is solid too.   Iliza is smoking hot to boot.  

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

2 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Your loss.  They're definitely funny; you must have some other hangup or feel threatened by the subject matter.  Which is fine -- everyone has their issues to deal with.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

My all time favorite is Rodney Dangerfield. Of course Carlin, Eddie Murphy, Prior, Cosby (despite his background) are great. Some of the more modern ones I like are Bill Burr, Louis CK, John Mulaney. John Cappurllo. 

Overrated: Jeff Dunham. Amy Schumer. Kevin Hart. Never thought any of them were very funny. Kevin Hart has some good movies, but he's not that great in standup. We get it, you're short and black. Next. 

Always good for laughs. 

Saw Dangerfield in Vegas about 5 years before he died.  Did 40 minutes straight of jokes before he even took a drink of water. The sweating was not fake.  Sat about 5 rows back rom the stage.

3 hours ago, eball said:

Your loss.  They're definitely funny; you must have some other hangup or feel threatened by the subject matter.  Which is fine -- everyone has their issues to deal with.

I think taste in humor is commonly different between men and women.  Purely anecdotal but I've watched a number of ex girlfriends suffer through my favorite stand-up specials and then crack up during a woman's stand up act while I took my turn pretending to laugh trying not to ruin her fun.    

5 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I think taste in humor is commonly different between men and women.  Purely anecdotal but I've watched a number of ex girlfriends suffer through my favorite stand-up specials and then crack up during a woman's stand up act while I took my turn pretending to laugh trying not to ruin her fun.    

No comedian is always funny.  I just find that men are much more quick to dismiss female comics as "unfunny."  Jerry Lewis had that problem and was a complete ass about it -- which is ironic since he's about as unfunny as they come.