Football insurers continue to get out of the market...

row_33

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Something to watch for in the background.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/25776964

I have been beating this drum for a while. Football will drastically diminish or go away entirely because it becomes too expensive to insure for schools and municipalities. Sure there will be some drop because more parents won't want their kids to play given the CTE issue. But eventually there will be hugely won court cases, and insurance companies will make it so expensive for middle america and below, that football won't even be an option for a lot of kids. Not without a hefty price tag at least. Even so, those white collar areas will have to heavily compete with sports like row/crew, hockey, lacrosse, etc. 

People won't stop playing the sport in large numbers because people are running from the head injury risk. Insurance companies will make that decision for them in a lot of places. I am fairly confident in saying that my grand kids most likely won't grow up playing football or even with the NFL. I am in my early 30's and no kids. Probably 40 years at least from being a grandpa. 

• Like (+1) 1

Football played today is very different from that played in the '50s through the '90s. I foresee, in the very near future, the next major change will be the outlawing of the three-point stance. Unless by some miracle technology can overcome CTE.

16 minutes ago, Mango said:

I have been beating this drum for a while. Football will drastically diminish or go away entirely because it becomes too expensive to insure for schools and municipalities. Sure there will be some drop because more parents won't want their kids to play given the CTE issue. But eventually there will be hugely won court cases, and insurance companies will make it so expensive for middle america and below, that football won't even be an option for a lot of kids. Not without a hefty price tag at least. Even so, those white collar areas will have to heavily compete with sports like row/crew, hockey, lacrosse, etc. 

People won't stop playing the sport in large numbers because people are running from the head injury risk. Insurance companies will make that decision for them in a lot of places. I am fairly confident in saying that my grand kids most likely won't grow up playing football or even with the NFL. I am in my early 30's and no kids. Probably 40 years at least from being a grandpa. 

This topic has been discussed, from Day 1, by everyone's favorite radio host: Mike Schopp.  He brought it up again a few days ago for the first time in a while. 

He and you are right.  This is not going to happen overnight.  It will be a slow, cultural shift.

Like the slow shift going from "colored drinking fountains" to the average American thinking that policy is insane, stupid, and disgusting.  That didn't happen overnight.

And the thing is, the segment of society that will be able to afford the high costs of football is not the segment playing football anyway, for the most part.  They are doing other things.

So the long term future of football, as we know it, is definitely uncertain.

33 minutes ago, Mango said:

in the late 70s high schools in Ontario were put in the grind over helmet insurance, the concern was for spinal cord injuries back then, how little we knew what was coming.

in addition the school bus insurance skyrocketed, remember a beat up old bus for high school sports (and driving the elderly to church on Sunday)

A good read, something to file away as it looms larger.

A pro athlete is an employee and if they played one game in the state of California they are entitled to a lot of workers comp options....

This is overblown. Even if tons of schools stop having a football program, do you think any of those southern schools will stop? In many of those areas high school football is bigger than any other sport, including college and NFL football. They'll pay what it takes to keep the programs going, and have plenty of boosters and doners to ensure it.

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

This is overblown. Even if tons of schools stop having a football program, do you think any of those southern schools will stop? In many of those areas high school football is bigger than any other sport, including college and NFL football. They'll pay what it takes to keep the programs going, and have plenty of boosters and doners to ensure it.

there will be nobody to insure players for brain injuries

especially for 30 years down the road

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why southern schools? Do you know of a difference that people in the south have about their children vs other parts of the country?

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Thats because insurance agency's are nothing but crooks. All they want is to take your money and then not cover what they are supposed to . Nothing but legalized extortion forced on us by our worthless government.

the fear is another asbestos fallout situation

can't blame the insurance companies if they are going to be held responsible for every illness a former football player gets and blames it on playing the game

Interesting. 

Every once in a while ESPN still does some actual journalistic reporting, this is one of those occasions.

I think there has to be some inherent risk here on the parts of the athletes.  The level of their extreme compensation in comparison to the rest of the normal population should inherently cover some of those risk IMO. 

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Thats because insurance agency's are nothing but crooks. All they want is to take your money and then not cover what they are supposed to . Nothing but legalized extortion forced on us by our worthless government.

That’s a reasonable opinion. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Interesting. 

Every once in a while ESPN still does some actual journalistic reporting, this is one of those occasions.

I think there has to be some inherent risk here on the parts of the athletes.  The level of their extreme compensation in comparison to the rest of the normal population should inherently cover some of those risk IMO. 

We all say that, and everyone has known smoking is hazardous to one's health (officially announced in the early 1960s), but when people get sick they sue everyone they can shake a stick at.

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

self insure

hold harmless clauses

Yeah, that'll work and keep everyone playing. Ask a parent to a) buy their own insurance and b) hold leagues and schools that organize it harmless will drive out players. Very GOP solution. Any other great ideas, like maybe roofers paying for their own insurance and hold their employers harmless?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the fear is another asbestos fallout situation

can't blame the insurance companies if they are going to be held responsible for every illness a former football player gets and blames it on playing the game

too bad, that's there job. They have no problem screwing us.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

too bad, that's there job. They have no problem screwing us.

not sure if you have a RIGHT to health insurance for playing football

the fear is 30 years down the road, now that ex-players with Parkinsons are blaming it all on football and suing

you have a RIGHT to be offered auto insurance up here, but your premium may be $100,000 a year

a friend was into $40,000 for his insurance due to his lead-foot, he got that deal because his father was a biggie in the industry