Bills avoid London in 2019

YoloinOhio

Four games in the UK.  The slippery slope continues.

Soon, having to make it across the ocean to play a football game will be thought of as "normal" and that's when they will introduce the newest member of the NFL, the London Royals or some such.

These billionaires can't wait to add a few zeros in their bank accounts and make the NFL a global phenomenon, or at least a N. American and Western European phenomenon.

As I mentioned in another thread, ALL playoff games and the Super Bowl were/are being aired this year in Germany on free TV.

The indoctrination continues!

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

The team giving up there home game makes more money? The NFL makes money?

what about the extra travel expenses?

why did Ralph sell 1 home game to Toronto for those years?  

$$$$$ 

all but maybe 1 of the London games have sold out

about 40,000 people bought tickets to all four games. You know what that sounds like, don't you?

A fan base.

Shipping teams there may lose $, but the merchandising helps offset that.  

And it’s working, even if the NFL is losing money on the games in London, according to Bloomberg. The NFL has started to develop fans in the UK thanks to London playing host to games, which are also free to watch on BBC. That’s different than in the U.S., where advertising dollars are a huge factor in the NFL’s revenue. And you can expect it to change in England, as well. But the exposure has created a large number of loyal fans.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

33 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Four games in the UK.  The slippery slope continues.

Soon, having to make it across the ocean to play a football game will be thought of as "normal" and that's when they will introduce the newest member of the NFL, the London Royals or some such.

These billionaires can't wait to add a few zeros in their bank accounts and make the NFL a global phenomenon, or at least a N. American and Western European phenomenon.

As I mentioned in another thread, ALL playoff games and the Super Bowl were/are being aired this year in Germany on free TV.

The indoctrination continues!

They (Roger Goodell) killed off NFL Europe in favor of the NFL International series as it was named back then after the first game sold out 100.000 seats within 30 minutes. The original intend had been to have 1 real NFL game travel throughout the European continent. However the strong support in Wembley coupled with the historical success of the WLAF in Wembley years prior kept them in London. Expansion to 4 games was said to be the first step towards investigating the viability of an expansion in London as the European franchise. Many interviews have been given, which state so at least partly. It's a common recurring theme during interviews/press coverage leading up to games.

All playoffs and Superbowl games have been on air in at least Sweden, the UK, the Netherlands and Germany for years, I can even get regular season games in the Netherlands although I prefer to watch through NFL Gamepass. Heck even Superbowl parties are starting to be a thing.

The NFL has been trying to get a foothold ever since the mid nineties.

I'm not sure if I would call it indoctrination, it a very different game from what is available in Europe. Interest rises with the understanding of the chess part of the game and the understanding of what is happening in what is perceived as downtime.

Also the team will be named the London Monarchs as the NFL still owns those trademark rights.

Also of note is that London is only 5 hours of EST and they speak the same language as long as it doesn't involve any joint painting in something other then black or white.

Edit: also yes I'm alive! And now back to lurking mode... ;)

Edited by bladiebla
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

Now lets hope they can skip that godawful Hard Knocks.

Bills won't be forced as they changed the rule recently that teams who made the playoffs aren't forced to participate. The Raiders would be an entertaining choice, but I think we're in for a 49ers snoozer.

1 hour ago, bladiebla said:

They (Roger Goodell) killed off NFL Europe in favor of the NFL International series as it was named back then after the first game sold out 100.000 seats within 30 minutes. The original intend had been to have 1 real NFL game travel throughout the European continent. However the strong support in Wembley coupled with the historical success of the WLAF in Wembley years prior kept them in London. Expansion to 4 games was said to be the first step towards investigating the viability of an expansion in London as the European franchise. Many interviews have been given, which state so at least partly. It's a common recurring theme during interviews/press coverage leading up to games.

All playoffs and Superbowl games have been on air in at least Sweden, the UK, the Netherlands and Germany for years, I can even get regular season games in the Netherlands although I prefer to watch through NFL Gamepass. Heck even Superbowl parties are starting to be a thing.

I'm not sure if I would call it indoctrination, it a very different game from what is available in Europe. Interest rises with the understanding of the chess part of the game and the understanding of what is happening in what is perceived as downtime.

Also the team will be named the London Monarchs as the NFL still owns those trademark rights.

Also of note is that London is only 5 hours of EST and they speak the same language as long as it doesn't involve any joint painting in something other then black or white.

Do you believe that the London Monarchs becoming an NFL franchise is imminent? Be they an expansion team or the Jacksonville Jaguars?

3 hours ago, Leonhart2017 said:

I am in the minority here but I wanted a London game. I went back in 2015 and it was a blast minus EJ’s performance and the refs screwing us of course. Would have been noce to have another vacation in the UK though.

I'm right there with you! I've been to two of the Bills Super Bowl appearances and the London trip was right up there with it.  For those who don't think they can afford Super Bowl tickets, I would highly recommend the London experience. It's relatively affordable, and if you can get the time, take the Eurostar bullet train to Paris and back while you're there.  (Two hours each way and $99 round trip.)

5 hours ago, bladiebla said:

All right, who built a time machine?

• Haha (+1) 1