Bon Appetit magazine travels to Buffalo to find the perfect wings - 12 different spots

YoloinOhio

OK, it’s on my list for my annual pilgrimage in 2019. I tried to get to Duff’s last year on Sheridan. Time was tight, and my memory failed me. As a teen we went there more for the beer than wings. I assumed I could steal an odd chair at the bar,  but no bar? I didnt wait an hour plus for a table of one. Should have ordered some to go, but I just went the my old HS football game. What a great weekend! (Despite a gameday meltdown.) 

I had Bar Bills over xmas break and they were simply fantastic.  Nothing but clean bones on the table when we were done; not even leaving the little nibs of meat on the ends.  So if they are even better at Gabriel's Gate then they must be spectacular!  And if I don't have to stand *inside* a coat rack while waiting for a table like at BB's then that's another bonus.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I had Bar Bills over xmas break and they were simply fantastic.  Nothing but clean bones on the table when we were done; not even leaving the little nibs of meat on the ends.  So if they are even better at Gabriel's Gate then they must be spectacular!  And if I don't have to stand *inside* a coat rack while waiting for a table like at BB's then that's another bonus.  

Go to Nine-Eleven Tavern.  They will tell you right off the bat that it's a 45 minute wait.  But worth it.  I think they wait till the oil reheats, don't just keep dropping them.

It blows Barbill out of water.  

Yet... It's just a SouthBFLo bar.

The gold standard of wings!  Cash only.

On 1/21/2019 at 8:57 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Gonna have to disagree with this. I did not like them at all to be nice about it. 

5 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Just had bar bill for first time a week or two ago. Very good. 

Gabriels gate for some reason wont give me a crispy wing. I want to like them but the wings have been "soggy" the few times ive been there despite ordering them extra crispy each time. 

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Oh my God... They taste like crispy candy there.  What was wrong with your order?

The wings were perfectly cooked but i didn't like the sauce. The taste turned my stomach.  Wasnt a fan of the fries either. Ended up there on a drunk night a few months ago and tried them again. I ate half a wing. Nobody wanted the rest. They ended up sitting in fridge for a while and got thrown out. 

11 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

The wings were perfectly cooked but i didn't like the sauce. The taste turned my stomach.  Wasnt a fan of the fries either. Ended up there on a drunk night a few months ago and tried them again. I ate half a wing. Nobody wanted the rest. They ended up sitting in fridge for a while and got thrown out. 

Well, at least they didn’t come with ranch.....     ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Wow... Maybe I am easy.  You can't screw sauce up... I won't even let Little Caesar's wings go to waste.

When I was back for the opener last year I tried to get into Duffs on Sheridan. Huge Saturday afternoon crowd waiting outside. I went in figuring I could get one seat at the bar.....only to realize they don’t HAVE a bar. Odd, since growing up we mostly went there for the (under age) beer!  That’s how I remember it, but I guess we were always at a table. Very disappointing as I didn’t get my wing fix satisfied. 

I’ll plan better next year. 

27 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Wow... Maybe I am easy.  You can't screw sauce up... I won't even let Little Caesar's wings go to waste.

Wings never go to waste in my house. Thats how bad they were. The plain corned beef and bread sandwich was very underwhelming as well. Didnt like any food they had plus the place hasnt been cleaned in years(thick dust and cobwebs everywhere) and the staff is very rude to say the least.  I would recommend little Caesars wings before nine eleven(maybe not that bad but close)

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

When I was back for the opener last year I tried to get into Duffs on Sheridan. Huge Saturday afternoon crowd waiting outside. I went in figuring I could get one seat at the bar.....only to realize they don’t HAVE a bar. Odd, since growing up we mostly went there for the (under age) beer!  That’s how I remember it, but I guess we were always at a table. Very disappointing as I didn’t get my wing fix satisfied. 

I’ll plan better next year. 

If you get there and theres a long wait call and order take out. Usually takes 20 mins. We do it all the time amd sit at the picnic benches outside

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Wings never go to waste in my house. Thats how bad they were. The plain corned beef and bread sandwich was very underwhelming as well. Didnt like any food they had plus the place hasnt been cleaned in years(thick dust and cobwebs everywhere) and the staff is very rude to say the least.  I would recommend little Caesars wings before nine eleven. 

If you get there and theres a long wait call and order take out. Usually takes 20 mins. We do it all the time amd sit at the picnic benches outside

I am a bit skeptical.  An old school tavern playing by their own rules.

When we went there... We even said: "Betcha this place turns the fussy neat freaks off... The wait probably breaks them too... But better for us!"  It's very "South Buffalo", which could put people off too.

It's a dive... But we found the food great.  Yeah you gotta get past it being a dive.  Those are the best places.

I find your review totally out of joint.  Agree to disagree.  The good thing is, it (your review) may scare people off... So the place doesn't "take off" and go down hill.

It does seem, that they don't need any more business, the place was packed.

Word of mouth may be a bad thing.

I think the cash only  thing too would turn people off too.

To each their own.

• Like (+1) 1