Rams vs. Pats*** -- this is where it all ends

eball

2 hours ago, Wo-Bah said:

I respect where you are coming from, but I still have a hard time putting Bellicheck ahead of Bill Walsh (whom I consider the best of all time).

Bill Belichick is coaching in era of the cap which promotes player movement. And because of his extended success he has had to deal with a lot of coaching and front office departures. His teams never seem to lose a step.

I do have a high regard for Bill Walsh and especially his innovative offensive systems. He is without question deserving of his HOF status. But in the era that he coached he was better able to keep his team in tact and out spend other organizations to maintain their roster. Belichick doesn't have that luxury and advantage. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Bill Belichick is coaching in era of the cap which promotes player movement. And because of his extended success he has had to deal with a lot of coaching and front office departures. His teams never seem to lose a step.

I do have a high regard for Bill Walsh and especially his innovative offensive systems. He is without question deserving of his HOF status. But in the era that he coached he was better able to keep his team in tact and out spend other organizations to maintain their roster. Belichick doesn't have that luxury and advantage. 

Well...not so fast...they have the luxury of a franchise QB who takes well below market value because he has some side business deal with Kraft and his wife makes 5 times what he makes anyway...no other team in the NFL has this luxury for this long of a time period...

I mean how do you even plan for that? Have your QB marry some super rich and famous supermodel and then start a side business where him and the owner have a "wink and nod" agreement in place, likely for some huge amount of money after he retires? Its like you couldn't even write this if you tried.

The really good teams with their QBs on rookie contracts have it better but only for a few years and then they have to pay out the nose for them...Patriots have basically had "rent control" in place with their QB like they are a NYC landlord...

Edited by matter2003

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Well...not so fast...they have the luxury of a franchise QB who takes well below market value because he has some side business deal with Kraft and his wife makes 5 times what he makes anyway...no other team in the NFL has this for this long of a time period..

The really good teams with their QBs on rookie contracts have it better but only for a few years and then they have to pay out the nose for them...Patriots have basically had "rent control" in place with their QB like they are a NYC landlord...

You can make excuses if you want  as to why they constantly win. It doesn't matter what others think because their record is their record. Your rationalization is your rationalization. The Colts had Peyton, and the Packers had Favre and Rodgers. Combined how many SBs do they have compared to Brady and the Pats? Who cares what the financial arrangement is between the qb and the owner? And who cares and what relevancy is that Brady has a wife who earns more than he does. Winners win and losers make excuses. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You can make excuses if you want  as to why they constantly win. It doesn't matter what others think because their record is their record. Your rationalization is your rationalization. The Colts had Peyton, and the Packers had Favre and Rodgers. Combined how many SBs do they have compared to Brady and the Pats? Who cares what the financial arrangement is between the qb and the owner? And who cares and what relevancy is that Brady has a wife who earns more than he does. Winners win and losers make excuses. 

If we are to assume that Brady offers no advantage over other absolutely top flight QBs like Rodgers or Peyton Maning, and if we are to assume that the Patriots organization is not engaged in some type of systemic cheating scheme giving them an advantage, the only thing left to explain the Patriots' phenomenal success is Bill B.

He may be more important to that franchise over the years than Brady.  Which is ironic, as a lot of folks here will tell you the only reason he is thought of as "good" is because he has Brady.

He is the GM and coach and has total control over shaping what New England is about as a football team.  He also never gets good draft slots and has huge turnover on both sides of the ball all the time...and yet he stays at the top year after year.  It's incredible.

Try to come up with a list of "famous Patriots" whose careers will be associated exclusively with NE during this huge win streak of theirs...there are a few names, certainly Gronk and a maybe a few others, but it's mostly Brady, Bellichick, and whoever else is playing for them at the moment.

BB is the smartest/best football coach ever.  At least that's my conclusion

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

BB is the smartest/best football coach ever.  At least that's my conclusion

BB and Parcells were among the few who developed a team from scratch without fanfare.  Parcells many times.

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The salary cap was designed to keep the more well to do owners from in theory buying championships.   While I believe that Bill B has a lot to do with the Pats success circumventing the salary cap is in poor sportsmanship.  While we can't prove that Kraft is circumventing the cap we also can't prove that he is not.  I don't believe that the Pats would have the same success without Brady that they would have with him.  Of course if Bill B sticks around several more years with a new QB and wins then that would be a big statement as to who deserves most of the credit.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

can they put together film with isolation on Emandola and how he manages to never have adequate coverage on 3rd and long ever?

and send it to opposing Ds so maybe once in 10 tries they can stop him?

he is not even on the team. 

17 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The salary cap was designed to keep the more well to do owners from in theory buying championships.   While I believe that Bill B has a lot to do with the Pats success circumventing the salary cap is in poor sportsmanship.  While we can't prove that Kraft is circumventing the cap we also can't prove that he is not.  I don't believe that the Pats would have the same success without Brady that they would have with him.  Of course if Bill B sticks around several more years with a new QB and wins then that would be a big statement as to who deserves most of the credit.

You also cannot prove that Pegula is not circumventing that cap. 

42 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Just pure envy here.

Nope. I save my envy for teams like the Steelers. They have been a model of consistency and success over the decades. 

The Patriots are an aberration. Their fans are dogs**t. Kraft and Belichick are so crooked, they need help screwing on their pants every morning. They will come crashing back to earth soon enough and one day we will all learn the extent of their cheating. 

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

he is not even on the team. 

You also cannot prove that Pegula is not circumventing that cap. 

True but the value of the contracts out there for the Bills are at market and maybe a bit higher than market for players such as Star.  Would you hazard a guess as to who Pegula is paying off of the books?  Brady's NFL contract is far from his value in terms of production and playoffs.  Sorry that we live in an age where the rich promote cynicism among the everyday working people.  Get back to me when Pegula has several players working considerably under their market value.  

Just now, RochesterRob said:

True but the value of the contracts out there for the Bills are at market and maybe a bit higher than market for players such as Star.  Would you hazard a guess as to who Pegula is paying off of the books?  Brady's NFL contract is far from his value in terms of production and playoffs.  Sorry that we live in an age where the rich promote cynicism among the everyday working people.  Get back to me when Pegula has several players working considerably under their market value.  

I was just pointing out that your previous post suggesting people need to prove the negative is completely inane. 

8 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Bradys cap hit was 22 million for this year. They gave him 30mil up front.

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Tom Coughlin and Steve Spagnolo had two weeks to prepare.  Sean McVay and Wade Phillips have two weeks to prepare.  Wade has had to prepare for Brady (and was successful) when he was the Broncos DC.  Hope he has the personnel he needs to execute his plan to stop Brady.  I wouldn't count the Rams out so quickly.

A Wade-coached defense almost knocked the Bills out of the 1991 playoffs - when the Bills were running the K-gun and were an offensive juggernaut.  The final score was a 10-7 Bills victory, but the Broncos defense sure made them earn it.

1 hour ago, Chris66 said:

Either one. My hope is Brady wins this one, retires and they take the money and give it to Foles.

So you agree that should Brady return for another season, there is a good chance the wheels come off? He's at the point where he really can't afford to lose ANY velocity. As great as he is(the greatest), the end is right around the corner. 

I hope he returns next season as well.?

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

So you agree that should Brady return for another season, there is a good chance the wheels come off? He's at the point where he really can't afford to lose ANY velocity. As great as he is(the greatest), the end is right around the corner. 

I hope he returns next season as well.?

No, I still think they will be good enough to make the afccg, but there is something to be said for going out on top.

Just now, Chris66 said:

No, I still think they will be good enough to make the afccg, but there is something to be said for going out on top.

I personally project the wheels falling off for TB in 2019, but that's an opinion.

Leaving that aside, he would walk away the ultimate winner if he gets ring number 6 and says "I'm done." 

Not quite sure why Bills fans would be happy with that Tom Brady finale.

22 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Bradys cap hit was 22 million for this year. They gave him 30mil up front.

Even if you prorate Brady's contract over three years to make the 30 million bonus look dramatic that is likely many millions under his value if he hit the open market.  If Brady were 36 years old in 2019 being dumped in a rebuild by his old team his achievements to age 35 would make him worth considerably more than 30 million per year depending how you structure salary and bonus.  I would venture a guess that if Snyder orJones were in the market at that point that Brady at 36 would command a contract of over 40 million dollars per year.  I think that Khan (Jacksonville), Ross (Miami), or the late Paul Allen would be there knocking on Brady's door if he could be had at an amount a little under 40 million.  Jerry Jones dream scenario is Brady comes along at a time when the Cowboys have most of their starting 22 under easy to digest contracts for the next few years that he would even go 45 million per year on Brady if it meant 4 SB appearances.  It would behoove Jurrah to also buy McDaniels or some other NE flunky to make sure Brady's transition is smooth.  Just my opinion.   

Edited by RochesterRob