How Does LA Match Up Against New England?

Denver rushed 5, pressed the WRs, dropped a robber in the hole.  Their Edge guys won their 1 v 1 match ups.  You don't try to fool him because he always knows where the blitz is coming from.  You line up your best 5 guys.  Press the WRs but have a plan for when they try to motion Edelman to get that free release.  Maybe go with some switching, I dunno.  You have to hit Brady, that's all.  Even if you don't sack him, he needs to be hit, A LOT.  The only other strategy that has worked was the Baltimore Strategy.  Don't blitz.  Line up base in zone.  BUT, when the WR's catch it, they must be punished profusely.  They will fold and stop desiring to make those catches.

20 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Funny because:

Brady > Foles

Belichick > Pederson

Belichick > Schwartz

Vikings > Eagles

How did that work out?

Funny because:

You asked us how we thought they matched up. So I bit. Based on your op, sounds like you felt the same about the Pats vs. Eagles last year. "Jared Goff is the wild card here.  I can see Belichick making him look very bad, but then again I thought the same thing about Nick Foles." . 

How did that work out? 

53 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Rams D is our only hope left against the Pats at this stage. Hopefully McVay/Wade can bring the pressure to Brady every play. The Rams offense is pretty damn good overall. 

I honestly give the edge to the Rams but have seen this movie way too many times now.

a horror filled groundhogs day ....

1 hour ago, Success said:

Sorry - I’m still coming to grips with the idea that God may not exist after all...

If there is a God, he/she/it is either a fan of NE or doesn’t care about fairness. Take your pick. Ancient civilizations had it right. Pray to anything and everything, sacrifice some virgins and move on to your next life.

51 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If Suh breaks Brady's leg I'm getting a Suh jersey.

I may get the home and away version, just because....

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Funny because:

Brady > Foles

Belichick > Pederson

Belichick > Schwartz

Vikings > Eagles

How did that work out?

As Giselle said, "Sometimes it's good to let others win."

1 hour ago, Chris66 said:

Pats have sb experience. Everything is longer in this game. Halftime killed the falcons they weren't prepared for it.

Neither were the Eagles.

2 hours ago, Chris66 said:

Pats have sb experience. Everything is longer in this game. Halftime killed the falcons they weren't prepared for it.

If the Falcons run the ball three times and kick a field goal they win that SB. If the Seahawks run Lynch from the one yard line they win that SB.

3 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Looking ahead to the Super Bowl, I’m trying to see how The Rams march up against The Patriots.

On paper, I think that the Rams defense has some potential advantages that Kansas City never had.  

- Defensive Line.  Suh, Brockers, Donald and Fowler are great at rushing the passer and I think there’s a better chance that they’ll stuff the run.  Fowler especially can get after the passer off the edge. Donald and Suh have the potential to push the pocket back which had traditionally hurt Brady in the Super Bowl against NYG.  

- Cornerbacks - Peters and Talib are far better than anyone on KC who struggled defending just about every New England WR.   They also can help defend against White and other RB’s on pass routes.  

Nickell The Nickell - Nickell Roby Coleman made some nice played yesterday but also had a few mental mistakes.  If he can bounce back, I see Roby as being a good defender against those routes to RB’s that KC can’t defend.  The liability would be if Roby gets matched up on Gronk and the potential for him to outmuscle or outjump a much smaller Roby.  You can probably say the same thing about most of the CB’s on the Rams.  They don’t have a big defender to match up on Gronk. 

Wade Phillips - He’s stopped Brady and NE before and is regarded as one of the best DC’s in the game.  Bob Sutton - not so much.  Wade will do his homework, so I feel LAR will be better prepared than KC was.  KC having zero sacks and few pressures was pathetic.

In the end, I feel a lot of pressure lies on the chess match between McVay and Belichick.  Like Pederson last year, McVay is going to have to have show he can manufacture points against a NE defense who will be schemed to take one part of their game away.   He can’t let Goff look like Mahomes did in the first half of the game, because KC was extremely lucky to only be down by the scores.  

This is is where I felt Andy Reid and Mahomes failed badly, especially in the first half.  Andy was outcoached by Belichick and it put the team in a hole which could have cost them in the end.  McVay needs to show that he can stand up to Belichick and can’t get schooled the way Reid and Sutton did.

Jared Goff is the wild card here.  I can see Belichick making him look very bad, but then again I thought the same thing about Nick Foles.  

They match up terrifically imo. They're going to play a ton of man on the outside with Talib and Peters (which is the right call against a pretty weak NE wideout group) and send pressure on blitz with Suh and Donald playing a little wider to create lanes. Fowler and Barron are the perfect combo of LBs to both bring pressure against run/pass and match up w/ Gronkowski in coverage on 3rd downs. 

Rams on offense just need to let Gurley do his thing and have Goff limit mistakes. Maybe hit a big play or two, convert some third-and-longs but overall they should be seeing enough of the ball due to their defense that they'll score enough to win. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Looking ahead to the Super Bowl, I’m trying to see how The Rams march up against The Patriots.

On paper, I think that the Rams defense has some potential advantages that Kansas City never had.  

- Defensive Line.  Suh, Brockers, Donald and Fowler are great at rushing the passer and I think there’s a better chance that they’ll stuff the run.  Fowler especially can get after the passer off the edge. Donald and Suh have the potential to push the pocket back which had traditionally hurt Brady in the Super Bowl against NYG.  

- Cornerbacks - Peters and Talib are far better than anyone on KC who struggled defending just about every New England WR.   They also can help defend against White and other RB’s on pass routes.  

Nickell The Nickell - Nickell Roby Coleman made some nice played yesterday but also had a few mental mistakes.  If he can bounce back, I see Roby as being a good defender against those routes to RB’s that KC can’t defend.  The liability would be if Roby gets matched up on Gronk and the potential for him to outmuscle or outjump a much smaller Roby.  You can probably say the same thing about most of the CB’s on the Rams.  They don’t have a big defender to match up on Gronk. 

Wade Phillips - He’s stopped Brady and NE before and is regarded as one of the best DC’s in the game.  Bob Sutton - not so much.  Wade will do his homework, so I feel LAR will be better prepared than KC was.  KC having zero sacks and few pressures was pathetic.

In the end, I feel a lot of pressure lies on the chess match between McVay and Belichick.  Like Pederson last year, McVay is going to have to have show he can manufacture points against a NE defense who will be schemed to take one part of their game away.   He can’t let Goff look like Mahomes did in the first half of the game, because KC was extremely lucky to only be down by the scores.  

This is is where I felt Andy Reid and Mahomes failed badly, especially in the first half.  Andy was outcoached by Belichick and it put the team in a hole which could have cost them in the end.  McVay needs to show that he can stand up to Belichick and can’t get schooled the way Reid and Sutton did.

Jared Goff is the wild card here.  I can see Belichick making him look very bad, but then again I thought the same thing about Nick Foles.  

Good analysis; I agree with most of it.

I thought McVay made a few tactical errors yesterday that he can't make in the Superbowl against NE.  In particular, deciding to kick that FG later in the game instead of punching the ball into the end zone from the 1 foot line.

Last year, Pederson made some ballsy decisions and had some clever plays, all of which clearly showed his strategy.  He was prepared to gamble and be aggressive, knowing that he who plays it safe loses to the Patriots.

McVay needs to be aggressive as well, and he needs to play for TDs and not FGs.

The NE OL was making big holes all game long yesterday; Suh should be able to do something about that.

I think the weak link in the equation from a "I hate NE and they can't win this game" point of view is Goff.  He needs to have a strong game and for me, and that's a big question mark.

Edited by Nextmanup

Outside of Baltimore the top AFC teams are pretty finesse and soft

NFC has more balanced tougher teams imo

NE had won most of their Super Bowls as a smash mouth team. When they were finesse and scored tons of points and only threw it they lost

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

They match up terrifically imo. They're going to play a ton of man on the outside with Talib and Peters (which is the right call against a pretty weak NE wideout group) and send pressure on blitz with Suh and Donald playing a little wider to create lanes. Fowler and Barron are the perfect combo of LBs to both bring pressure against run/pass and match up w/ Gronkowski in coverage on 3rd downs. 

Rams on offense just need to let Gurley do his thing and have Goff limit mistakes. Maybe hit a big play or two, convert some third-and-longs but overall they should be seeing enough of the ball due to their defense that they'll score enough to win. 

Pats use lots of screens and there RB core is great. Throws lots of passes to RB esp White. That is there strength for passing right now.

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Correct. This is a bad matchup for Pats. 

I honestly think it's a good matchup for Pats imo

I think the Rams LB'S if they have speed is the key match up vs Pats how they use screens, running the ball, or White type player example catching the ball.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Pats use lots of screens and there RB core is great. Throws lots of passes to RB esp White. That is there strength for passing right now.

I honestly think it's a good matchup for Pats imo

If the Rams bring blitz like I think they will and keep Pats' RBs in to block they can limit the damage. Stopping Michel and forcing Patriots into passing is going to be key in that; can they slow down run game enough to allow themselves to bring pressure against Brady when he's passing.