How Does LA Match Up Against New England?

Looking ahead to the Super Bowl, I’m trying to see how The Rams march up against The Patriots.

On paper, I think that the Rams defense has some potential advantages that Kansas City never had.  

- Defensive Line.  Suh, Brockers, Donald and Fowler are great at rushing the passer and I think there’s a better chance that they’ll stuff the run.  Fowler especially can get after the passer off the edge. Donald and Suh have the potential to push the pocket back which had traditionally hurt Brady in the Super Bowl against NYG.  

- Cornerbacks - Peters and Talib are far better than anyone on KC who struggled defending just about every New England WR.   They also can help defend against White and other RB’s on pass routes.  

Nickell The Nickell - Nickell Roby Coleman made some nice played yesterday but also had a few mental mistakes.  If he can bounce back, I see Roby as being a good defender against those routes to RB’s that KC can’t defend.  The liability would be if Roby gets matched up on Gronk and the potential for him to outmuscle or outjump a much smaller Roby.  You can probably say the same thing about most of the CB’s on the Rams.  They don’t have a big defender to match up on Gronk. 

Wade Phillips - He’s stopped Brady and NE before and is regarded as one of the best DC’s in the game.  Bob Sutton - not so much.  Wade will do his homework, so I feel LAR will be better prepared than KC was.  KC having zero sacks and few pressures was pathetic.

In the end, I feel a lot of pressure lies on the chess match between McVay and Belichick.  Like Pederson last year, McVay is going to have to have show he can manufacture points against a NE defense who will be schemed to take one part of their game away.   He can’t let Goff look like Mahomes did in the first half of the game, because KC was extremely lucky to only be down by the scores.  

This is is where I felt Andy Reid and Mahomes failed badly, especially in the first half.  Andy was outcoached by Belichick and it put the team in a hole which could have cost them in the end.  McVay needs to show that he can stand up to Belichick and can’t get schooled the way Reid and Sutton did.

Jared Goff is the wild card here.  I can see Belichick making him look very bad, but then again I thought the same thing about Nick Foles.  

Edited by BillyWhiteShows
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good points, especially about the LA Defense and the pressure they generate up the middle. For the life of me I dont understand why Pats opponents do not do this often as it has proven in the few times done that Brady is at his worst when he is pressured in front. He gets rid of the ball quick so the rush from the outside is useless since he either has gotten rid of the ball or moves up to avoid the hit. But getting pressure up the middle and in his face takes away those strengths of his.

I feel the Rams with Donald and Suh can generate that rush and agree that Phillips is light years ahead of Sutton in terms of scheming and bringing out the best from his players. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Looking ahead to the Super Bowl, I’m trying to see how The Rams march up against The Patriots.

On paper, I think that the Rams defense has some potential advantages on Kansas City never had.  

- Defensive Line.  Suh, Brockers, Donald and Fowler are great at rushing the passer and I think there’s a better chance that they’ll stuff the run.  Donald and Suh has the potential to push the pocket back which had traditionally hurt Brady in the Super Bowl.

It's stunning how no one even gets near Brady on most passing downs, or how much time he gets to throw.  What's he got like 5 HOF'ers in front of him.  Or a lot of uncalled holding.  It's just like you see no one in the NFL with the protection he gets

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

It's stunning how no one even gets near Brady on most passing downs, or how much time he gets to throw.  What's he got like 5 HOF'ers in front of him.  Or a lot of uncalled holding.  It's just like you see no one in the NFL with the protection he gets

He gets rid of the ball fast and NE had good success against the run.  That’s what seemed to neutralize the pass rush.  Rams can pressure him up the middle which KC was unable to do.  Most of their pressure comes off the edge.   

14 minutes ago, Stevie Ray said:

Good points, especially about the LA Defense and the pressure they generate up the middle. For the life of me I dont understand why Pats opponents do not do this often as it has proven in the few times done that Brady is at his worst when he is pressured in front. He gets rid of the ball quick so the rush from the outside is useless since he either has gotten rid of the ball or moves up to avoid the hit. But getting pressure up the middle and in his face takes away those strengths of his.

I feel the Rams with Donald and Suh can generate that rush and agree that Phillips is light years ahead of Sutton in terms of scheming and bringing out the best from his players. 

I think the problem is that most teams can’t push the pocket with their DT’s alone.  You can create pressure up the middle though blitzing but Brady is so good at making quick decisions that it doesn’t matter.  You need to push the pocket without blitzing, like the Eagles did last year with Fletcher Cox.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Maybe he was just trying so save us Bills fans from two weeks of fellow fans lameneting about Patrick Mahomes or over-evaluating Reggie Ragland or Sammy Watkins 

Post of the year!!!!! So true!

• Like (+1) 1

The only advantage the Rams have is Wade Phillips.  He seems to be the only defensive mind that knows how to play the Patriots offense.  It just sickening watching these guys call coverage schemes that defend things the Patriots do not do.  For instance, the Patriots do not have a vertical perimeter game at all.  SO why in the hell to coordinators call cover 2 defense against them, which allows the Pats to actually play to their strength.  They hit you in the middle. The Pats are all about the middle of the field because teams for some reason run cover 2 Man coverage????????  Why???  If you press they motion to get that specific guy open.  If you play off your DB will get picked.  IT's simple.  They are not doing anything special, yet here we are.  You sit back in cover 3 and Brady will get surgical.  Then you watch the Pats defense doing EXACTLY what teams should be doing ot the Pats offense.  BEAT THE HELL out of the WRs within the first five yards and send pressure right up the middle.  ?

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Pulling for Wade & Co to be totally successful!  Goff will have to have a better game than he had against New Orleans, if that's possible?  Once again the Refs may doom anyone who plays NE.

Good point about Wade, they guy deserves a win in the SB!

1 minute ago, Real McCoy said:

Depends. Who are the refs for this game?

This 

I'd say (yes I am a hater) the Rams have the edge on Defense and may be a better team offensively.  

I wanted the Saints to win because I'm a fan, but I think the Rams are the better team in this situation.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

The only advantage the Rams have is Wade Phillips.  He seems to be the only defensive mind that knows how to play the Patriots offense.  It just sickening watching these guys call coverage schemes that defend things the Patriots do not do.  For instance, the Patriots do not have a vertical perimeter game at all.  SO why in the hell to coordinators call cover 2 defense against them, which allows them to actually play to their strength.  They hit you in the middle.  If you press they motion to get that specific guy open.  If you play off your DB will get picked.  IT's simple.  They are not doing anything special, yet here we are.  You sit back in cover 3 and Brady will get surgical.  Then you watch the Pats defense doing EXACTLY what teams should be doing ot the Pats offense.  BEAT THE HELL out of the WRs within the first five yards and send pressure right up the middle.  ?

I know what you mean.  SD and KC played right into what NE wanted to do on offense.  I don’t see that happening with Wade.

I also see a huge advantage with Donald and Suh against the run and pass.  NE has yet to face that caliber of talent up front yet.

• Like (+1) 1