90s Bills legacy in serious jeopardy next year...

Big Turk

Just now, Bills!Win! said:

Does anyone else think that Brady is continuing to play into his 40's just to see if he can get to 5 straight and beat the bills record? What else doesn't he have to play for? 

Nah, why would he care about that? It's all about racking up rings.

I agree with the OP; spinning our Superbowl era into a discussion about being AFC champions 4 straight years and the drive it took to do that is the lasting legacy of this organization.

If NE tied that record or even beat it, it would be disappointing.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Its always been said that never again will a team go to 4 straight Super Bowls...

Well...New England is currently on 3 straight...if they do it again next year they would make it 4...

Bills legacy is in danger of being marginalized...

So the concern is that the Patriots are one season away from overshadowing the Bills legacy of greatness??

12 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Its always been said that never again will a team go to 4 straight Super Bowls...

Well...New England is currently on 3 straight...if they do it again next year they would make it 4...

I hear ya. As recently as earlier the past week I was posting that no one has ever won 3 afccs in a row after the Bills (Miami did do this before us, as D2D pointed out below, but never made it to 4 either), to say nothing of 4. Obviously now NE has joined the 3 in a row crowd. That said I do think that context to everything matters, and (1) we did it before the Pats; (2) we never had to cheat or push the boundaries of what is legal; (3) D’s were much more punishing back in the day towards O’s, and our D while good, was never a steel curtain, so our O consistently thrived and carried the dynasty in spite of facing more punishment arguably than Brady; (4) Brady’s been coached by the best—our coaches for the 90’s Bills were good, but not GOAT; (5) Nutritional/health science advancements are light years beyond where the players were in the 90’s—helping the current crop’s staying power 

Anyway, feel free to disagree but the above is some of the reason why the 90’s Bills will always be special to me, no matter what BB/Brady do from here. 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I hear ya. As recently as earlier the past week I was posting that no one has ever won 3 afccs in a row after the Bills, to say nothing of 4. That said I do think that context to everything matters, and (1) we will always be the first to have done it; (2) we never had to cheat or push the boundaries of what is legal; (3) D’s were much more punishing back in the day towards O’s, and our D while good, was never a steel curtain, so our O consistently thrived and carried the dynasty in spite of facing more punishment arguably than Brady; (4) Brady’s been coached by the best—our coaches for the 90’s Bills were good, but not GOAT; (5) Nutritional/health science advancements are light years beyond where the players were in the 90’s—helping the current crop’s staying power 

Anyway, feel free to disagree but the above is some of the reason why the 90’s Bills will always be special to me, no matter what BB/Brady do from here. 

I also feel that free agency wasn't what it is/was now and there were more teams that stayed very good for longer as they didn't have to constantly worry about good players overpricing themselves out of their range...

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I also feel that free agency wasn't what it is/was now and there were more teams that stayed very good for longer as they didn't have to constantly worry about good players overpricing themselves out of their range...

So you could’ve expected other teams in the same era to do it too, but still only the Bills. 

No they wont unseat us.  They have lose 4 straight to do that.

They proved to be the greatest team in NFL history a long time ago.  Even though I am among the minority that doesnt view Brady as the GOAT, he is the leader of the GOAT dynasty team.  SuperBowls are a team accomplishment.  I do not believe they will go to a fourth.  They should not be in this one as they were helped by BS calls.  Next season their core will be another year older and Gronk will likely retire and even though he hasnt been as dominant in the pass game he has still been a beast in the run.  They are slowly spiraling down

Edited by formerlyofCtown

17 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

No they wont unseat us.  They have lose 4 straight to do that.

They proved to be the greatest team in NFL history a long time ago.  Even though I am among the minority that doesnt view Brady as the GOAT, he is the leader of the GOAT dynasty team.  SuperBowls are a team accomplishment.  I do not believe they will go to a fourth.  They should not be in this one as they were helped by BS calls.  Next season their core will be another year older and Gronk will likely retire and even though he hasnt been as dominant in the pass game he has still been a beast in the run.  They are slowly spiraling down

I like the logic in your post.

IMO, calling Brady GOAT is an apples to oranges comparison with guys like Marino, Elway, Kelly, Montana, etc playing in a different era with different philosophies and rules; just not an appropriate comparison.  I do think NE is the GOAT pro sports franchise.  What they have been able to do in this era of FA is remarkable since it is harder to hold onto good players and stay within a salary cap.  They seem to value a core: Belichick, Brady, Gronk, Edelpunk; the rest look to be plug and play.  They are good at evaluating a player and determining if the player can fit into the system and bringing out a player's strengths.

It will be interesting to see how they'll replace Gronk, if they even can, since his physical skills are really deteriorating.  Win or lose (which I really hope they lose)  this is not the end of NE.  I don't think they'll be done until they're like 6-10 and Brady is getting pounded by the opposing defense.  This could take a few more years.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, matter2003 said:

The Bills legacy is actually in danger of becoming more impressive if the Patriots make it to four straight.  

Think about it- the Bills being mentioned as the only other team to make it to four straight along with the the invincible Brady / Belichick Partiots?  

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I like the logic in your post.

IMO, calling Brady GOAT is an apples to oranges comparison with guys like Marino, Elway, Kelly, Montana, etc playing in a different era with different philosophies and rules; just not an appropriate comparison.  I do think NE is the GOAT pro sports franchise.  What they have been able to do in this era of FA is remarkable since it is harder to hold onto good players and stay within a salary cap.  They seem to value a core: Belichick, Brady, Gronk, Edelpunk; the rest look to be plug and play.  They are good at evaluating a player and determining if the player can fit into the system and bringing out a player's strengths.

It will be interesting to see how they'll replace Gronk, if they even can, since his physical skills are really deteriorating.  Win or lose (which I really hope they lose)  this is not the end of NE.  I don't think they'll be done until they're like 6-10 and Brady is getting pounded by the opposing defense.  This could take a few more years.

The Yankees have had a pretty good run many times over the last 100 years.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I hear ya. As recently as earlier the past week I was posting that no one has ever won 3 afccs in a row after the Bills, to say nothing of 4. That said I do think that context to everything matters, and (1) we will always be the first to have done it; (2) we never had to cheat or push the boundaries of what is legal; (3) D’s were much more punishing back in the day towards O’s, and our D while good, was never a steel curtain, so our O consistently thrived and carried the dynasty in spite of facing more punishment arguably than Brady; (4) Brady’s been coached by the best—our coaches for the 90’s Bills were good, but not GOAT; (5) Nutritional/health science advancements are light years beyond where the players were in the 90’s—helping the current crop’s staying power 

Spot on as always and well said.

One thing though, No Hud my friend, Miami did do it before us.  I believe SBs V, VI and VII.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Spot on as always and well said.

One thing though, No Hud my friend, Miami did do it before us.  I believe SBs V, VI and VII.

Turkey Jones stopped the Steelers at 2

12 hours ago, matter2003 said:

The Bills have one of the best chances to end it since they are in the same division.  I don't think people say 4 in a row will never happen again.  I have heard it said that it is an extraordinary accomplishment, because it is.  But that is generally in context that they never won.  The Dolphins went to three in a row in the 70's.   the Bills accomplishment.....and all others are already dwarfed by what the Patriots have done in the last 18 years, 13 AFC championship games, 9 super bowls, 5 or 6 SB wins....none of that would be though of as possible if it was not fact.  They have even taken a legit shot at the "greatest comeback" with the Atlanta meltdown..........

18 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Or they would have gone to 3 straight, too?

Didn't know that.

Still remember that game as if it was yesterday, definitely a major factor in the Steel Curtain missing out, i thought he was dead for a few seconds.

Bradshaw was out for half the season and the Steelers had to go to Oakland in the playoffs.  Bleier was hurt and Franco (allegedly) was too hurt to play also.

If it was in Pittsburgh it might have been different, best stat D for the Dynasty that season.

Yes, Facenda and the xylophone clip....

Edited by row_33

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Still remember that game as if it was yesterday, definitely a major factor in the Steel Curtain missing out, i thought he was dead for a few seconds.

Yes, Facenda and the xylophone clip....

Row...row...I remember the play,  Not live, but I have seen that video countless times.

Damn.

When I was watching SB XIV I for some reason thought they were going for their 4th straight...at the time.

Still, 4 in 6 years...amazing.  A couple of teams have done 3 in 4 years (Cowboys, Patriots), which is tremendous, but I still rank the Steelers a little higher.

• Like (+1) 1