OT Rule needs to change!

BuffaloButt

10 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So what happens when clock strikes 0:00 and   the game is still tied.  Excellent idea.  

keep playing until the team i irrationally hate falls behind

could be here for two months

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Edelman for 20

Edleman for 15

Gronk for a first down

Romo even called them in real time as they lined up

Yup

If you have a good defense it's almost an advantage to kick off. 

Get a 3 and out make them punt and get it back with great field possession needing only a FG to win it

There are a few rules that need to be changed, but the rule allowing offensive picks on DBs is ruining the game.

Picks were always penalties, but my guess is Kraft/ Bellichek got this changed for Tommy Tutu, under the disguise of more offensive points.

We are going to be stuck watching Brady’s small ball for quite awhile. The Pats are masters of pick plays and Brady is better then anyone at it. You cant stop it, there’s no defense against it, especially if Tommy is accurate that day.

30 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Yup

If you have a good defense it's almost an advantage to kick off. 

Get a 3 and out make them punt and get it back with great field possession needing only a FG to win it

how can NOBODY cover Edelman???

12 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

The OT rule needs  to change giving the other team an opportunity to match a TD scored.  Falcons & Chiefs both lost due to a fricken coin toss!

I am all in favor of this and they can specifically call the new rule the "Patriots Rule"...

The game was for the conference championship and the right to go to the Superbowl, played in front of a packed house of rabid fans, and it didn't look like a single person went home early.

For Christ's sake, play an additional QUARTER of football and let's see who is winning at the end of it.

If the score is STILL miraculously tied, PLAY ANOTHER ONE.

They do it in hockey and baseball and games that go late become part of history.

As fatigue sets in, play will probably break down, and cheap scores will be had anyway; I doubt many games, ever, would go beyond 1 full quarter of extra play.

DO IT!

11 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I really don't see any reason why - in the playoffs - we don't simply play it NBA or soccer style and add on a normal 15 minute period. The chances of a tie after the additional period are low enough that it would probably resolve 80-90% of ties without anyone whining about "fairness." It can't be unfair because it's just a continuation of the same game with the same rules, not based on something random like which side a coin lands on. If it's tied after the additional period, well, that's when some other rule more arbitrary rule can come into play.

This makes a lot of sense.  For those that argue that the defense needs to make a stop...both defenses yesterday were giving up points, particularly in the 4th qtr.  NE should have stopped KC from getting into field goal range with 39 seconds left to tie the game.  So it came down to a coin flip as to whose offense got to touch the ball first.  The same argument would apply if KC had won the toss and scored and NE didn't get to try to match it.  A coin flip decided the game. 

1 hour ago, Figster said:

4 of the highest scoring teams made the final 4 meaning nobody could stop them.

You tell me where its fair for Mahomes to tie a football game in 30 some seconds just to never see the ball again in overtime?

Its a simple fix, play a whole quarter.

Defence is part of the game. 

Chiefs don't deserve to go to the SB if they can't stop a 75 yard drive with home field advantage and the weather elements on their side.

Saints got the ball first in OT but lost because DEFENCE is still part of the game. No one mentions that though...

12 hours ago, row_33 said:

The old way it was less than one percent favour to the coin toss winner taking the W, sometimes with multiple possessions 

but fans have a cognitive disorder that makes them think it was 90 percent of the time

That is also what I remember.    But the issue comes up when a team never gets the ball which does happen.  I see it from both sides, even if statistically it does not show much, it seems fair that both teams should get the ball.    In that game yesterday no one could stop anyone once the fourth quarter started so it seemed like whoever won the coin toss got an advantage.

12 hours ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Lol, Na. Play better defense. Make a stop.

Both the chiefs and falcons LOST BECAUAE THEY COUDNT MAKE A STOP.

BOTH THE CHIEFS AND FALCONS HAD OVER 90 PLAYS RAN ON THEM.

Valid point, but the rule changes in favor of the offense has accelerated so much in the past few years it doesn't seem fair that a team doesn't get a chance.

Just now, Foxx said:

that is an altogether different issue.

OK

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

boom....(just playoff games)

How about for regular season games each team gets the ball once regardless if first team scores a TD? After that if there is no score next score wins?