OT Rule needs to change!

BuffaloButt

both teams get an equal number of offensive possessions

2 point conversions required after a TD

all replays initiated from the booth

10 minute period, 4th quarter rules

if tied after period, both kickers line up for a 40 yard FG.  if both make, move back to 45, 50, 55, ..., until one kicker misses.  if both kickers miss same distance, game regular season game is a tie.  for post season, if both kickers miss same distance move back to previous kick spot and rekick

43 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

this isn't against you in particular (unless it does ;) ) 

How this "argument" was similar / different with the Buffalo Miami OT game where TT had 300 yards passing and the Bills Lost.  

All they had to do was score and stop Miami on 2 (maybe 3) drives.

Not sure where you're going with this.  Bottom line is that football involves both offense and defense.  You have the ball, it's on you to score.  You don't have the ball, it's on you to stop them from scoring. 

Both games yesterday showed why D matters in the league.  When you have to get a stop, your D needs to step up.

9 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

If you watched the Chiefs all year, outside of that one playoff game against the Colts they had to win every game in a shootout. Well, defense might not mean much in the modern NFL, but it sure as hell means something in overtime when you lose the coin toss. Chiefs used all their available cap space and draft capital on one side of the ball and paid the price today.

Pretty much this.  The Chiefs had the worst D of any of the final 4 teams and it showed yesterday.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Not sure where you're going with this.  Bottom line is that football involves both offense and defense.  You have the ball, it's on you to score.  You don't have the ball, it's on you to stop them from scoring. 

Both games yesterday showed why D matters in the league.  When you have to get a stop, your D needs to step up.

It reminded me of an argument I had with board members  and OT that's all.  

To the BOLD  - this brings up the in season threads  we've seen (and recently) -  

Defense wins Championships.

In the regular season Scoring wins out as entertaining (and the obvious W) 

But in the playoffs. 

It all comes down to the Defense. 

10 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Nope.

Stop them from going 75 yards

Stop 3rd and longs.

Nothing wrong with the rule. Kcs defence needed just to just make 1 more play and they couldn’t 

4 of the highest scoring teams made the final 4 meaning nobody could stop them.

You tell me where its fair for Mahomes to tie a football game in 30 some seconds just to never see the ball again in overtime?

Its a simple fix, play a whole quarter.

Sorry I don't buy the "just play defense" argument. Were the Pats asked to "just play defense" and I somehow missed that? The NFL is actually a hilarious league, change all the rules in favor of the offensive side in regulation play then in OT, to determine the winner, the team that plays the better defense wins. Good stuff.

Also, why not have it setup that teams KNOW who gets the ball first going into OT. Home team, better seed, most yards, anything. That way there is more incentive to finish the game BEFORE OT. A coin flip basically encourages a team to take a chance that they may get the ball first.

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Sorry I don't buy the "just play defense" argument. Were the Pats asked to "just play defense" and I somehow missed that? The NFL is actually a hilarious league, change all the rules in favor of the offensive side of the ball in regulation play then in OT, to determine the winner, the team that plays the better defense wins. Good stuff.

Great response Wayne Cubed,

The AFC Champion was basically determined by the toss of a coin IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

The OT rule needs  to change giving the other team an opportunity to match a TD scored.  Falcons & Chiefs both lost due to a fricken coin toss!

Rather than change the rules, change the way to determine who gets the ball. Instead of a coin toss, have a scrum. 

4 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Rather than change the rules, change the way to determine who gets the ball. Instead of a coin toss, have a scrum. 

personally, i prefer Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Edited by Foxx