OT Rule needs to change!

BuffaloButt

2 hours ago, DallasMac said:

Some of y'all are ridiculous.  The NFL continues year after year to make rules that favor the offense bc they like high scoring games.  Then they say in OT that if you don't want us to win then stop us.  You can't have it both ways.  Each offense should get an opportunity.

This is what I was thinking.  I really hated the old rule, where a coin flip, decent runback, and 20-30 yards wins you the game.............And, I thought this was a great idea.............But, now offenses are so supercharged, with the top 4 in the final four, that I think it needs that the other team gets a chance to tie, even if the first team scores a TD. 

4 hours ago, wppete said:

The NFL needs to adopt the NCAA Overtime rules. Way more entertaining and is fair for both teams. 

I'd say the college football OT structure with some tweaks. Starting at the opponents 25 is pretty easy. Unless a team totally screws up with losing yards thru plays or penalties, they're likely to get a makeable FG try.  NFL kickers are much better than the average college kicker so it's pretty much a makeable three points.  Of course, the opponent next starting at the 25 can quickly score a TD and win the game.

For the NFL, maybe they could start at midfield or their own 40.  So, they may have to gain 20 to 30 yards to get a legit FG try.  In today's NFL, with an above average QB, that may also seem easy but more difficult than starting at the opponent's 25.

4 hours ago, wppete said:

The NFL needs to adopt the NCAA Overtime rules. Way more entertaining and is fair for both teams. 

Please no. College rules for overtime are Pop Warner. Do it like hockey. Play set amounts of time until there is one left standing. 

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Seems too gimicky to me and it runs up the score making betting the over/under problematic.  Plus, the record books for scoring would be skewed.

I think the easy fix to this is for each team to get a posession and have the chance to tie each other (like the Chiefs could've answered the Pats TD with a TD of their own).  Sudden death after that.

Yes, as a bare minimum both teams need to have a possession.  

Do we think a defensive touchdown on the first possession still ends the game?  It kind of doesn't make sense that the team winning the coin toss and taking the ball first could screw up so badly and still get another chance.

I don't dislike the rule as it is now. My only issue with it is that it's inconsistent with what the league has been pushing for. They clearly want high scoring games with high octane offenses duking it out, rather than two dominant defenses stuffing the opposing offense for 60 minutes. That's fine, but if they're going to give offenses the edge, the OT rules should reflect that and give both offenses a chance. 

6 hours ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Lol, Na. Play better defense. Make a stop.

Both the chiefs and falcons LOST BECAUAE THEY COUDNT MAKE A STOP.

BOTH THE CHIEFS AND FALCONS HAD OVER 90 PLAYS RAN ON THEM.

This is correct.  They already changed it from a field goal wins it...

This is what happens when you don't have a defense...

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I do agree both teams should get the ball once.  Teams win and lose games, not half of a team.  And when Pats won the coin toss, they got to put their best unit (offense) on the field against the Chiefs worst unit (defense).  And with a TD, Chiefs don’t get the same opportunity to put their best unit (offense) against Pats worst unit (defense).  

So is it really fair that a coin decides how much of an advantage or disadvantage each team has in a game this important?  

Shame Mahomes doesn’t get a chance to dual Brady in OT after such a great game.  

Life isn't fair. Perhaps if the chiefs played defense better than a girl scout troop, they could have won. Guess we'll never know.

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

The OT rule needs  to change giving the other team an opportunity to match a TD scored.  Falcons & Chiefs both lost due to a fricken coin toss!

????????????????????

I hate emojis.    Especially TOPHATS!!!!!!

Edited by Turk71

7 hours ago, H2o said:

Exactly. How many 3rd and long conversions did the Chiefs give up on that drive? At least 3 I can recall. 

It was unbelievable. I couldnt understand wtf Sutton was thinking. Every third and long, the chiefs rushed 4, got nowhere near Brady, gave up the middle of the field and were gashed each time.

So frustrating. 

3 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Yes, as a bare minimum both teams need to have a possession.  

Do we think a defensive touchdown on the first possession still ends the game?  It kind of doesn't make sense that the team winning the coin toss and taking the ball first could screw up so badly and still get another chance.

Joe, you are hammered.?