OT Rule needs to change!

BuffaloButt

OT has gotten better since having strict sudden death. It may need a little tweaking maybe straight of  playing10 minutes to a win or tie in the regular season or 15 minutes sessions until there is a winner at the conclusion in the postseason. Just don’t do what college football does. It is like putting cheat codes in Madden.

3 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Ridiculous that a Championship is decided by a coin toss. The 'play better defense' argument is just straight up stupid. The Patriots didn't play better defense, the game was tied in regulation. Did the Patriots play better defense in overtime? They didn't have to play any defense, they just had to win a coin toss and play offense. If the Chiefs had won the toss and scored it would obviously be just as unfair. People pretending these overtime rules are fair are just willfully ignorant or straight up stupid imo.

Someone called up WGR today while I was listening and offered what I thought would be a great modification to the OT rule...

Basically eliminate the OT coin toss and have it tie into the decision on the opening kickoff...basically whoever gets the ball first(usually the loser of the coin toss since most teams defer) will get the ball to start OT.  That way everybody knows who is getting the ball, there are no surprises and the end of the games can be coached accordingly based on the strategy involved with whether you know if you are getting the ball first or not if it looks like its going to OT. Additionally, the team who won the toss decided who got the ball in OT so there can be no crying about it.  You win the toss and want to defer to gain an advantage, then you take a small risk that if the game goes to OT the other team automatically gets the ball to start off.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

Damned whining from the Patriot Haters...pathetic.

IT'S TOO LATE TO CHANGE!

And next time around, the Patriots would probably benefit from whatever rule change was implemented. They are the ultimate franchise. The know how to correctly strategize for every situation, and RARELY make a mistake. Rule changes aren't going to help....they know how to maximize them.

Just stop.

The OT is great. It gives both teams enough of a chance. 

it all reminds me of when people who hated the 90's Bills decided that Rich Stadium was too much of advantage, and that the Championship game should be played at a neutral site.

Pathetic.

3 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Ridiculous that a Championship is decided by a coin toss. The 'play better defense' argument is just straight up stupid. The Patriots didn't play better defense, the game was tied in regulation. Did the Patriots play better defense in overtime? They didn't have to play any defense, they just had to win a coin toss and play offense. If the Chiefs had won the toss and scored it would obviously be just as unfair. People pretending these overtime rules are fair are just willfully ignorant or straight up stupid imo.

It wasn't "decided by a coin toss". What a simplistic, disingenuous comment.  

Not even worth arguing with such a silly statement.

Edited by OJ Tom

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Pretty much this.  The Chiefs had the worst D of any of the final 4 teams and it showed yesterday.

You have to have D in this league to get to and win the big one. KC’s D yesterday was one of the worst I remember seeing in a long time. They were epically bad and some things the Pats did were pretty basic however KC lost the trench battle, the second level battle, and DB’s were lost all over the place.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I hate how this exact same thread gets rehashed after every overtime game. Give it a rest already. The rules are fine. Find something else to be aghast about.

Regular season and playoff OT are different.

I'm aghast because the much despised Pats/NFL playground bully's are advancing to the Superbowl on the flip of a coin.

Taking all of Mahomes/Chiefs lunch money in the process.

Hate it when that happens...

Just now, Figster said:

Regular season and playoff OT are different.

I'm aghast because the much despised Pats/NFL playground bully's are advancing to the Superbowl on the flip of a coin.

Taking all of Mahomes/Chiefs lunch money in the process.

Hate it when that happens...

You choose to see it that way. The Chiefs had every chance to stop them. They couldn't because they have a sucky defense. The game was in their hands to stop Brady and give Mahomes a shot, but they couldn't get it done. Defense is important. The team with the better defense won the game.

Forgive me, but I think there would be no ado if Mahomes had driven for a TD in overtime against the Pats. People are mostly angry because the outcome wasn't what they wanted.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, MJS said:

You choose to see it that way. The Chiefs had every chance to stop them. They couldn't because they have a sucky defense. The game was in their hands to stop Brady and give Mahomes a shot, but they couldn't get it done. Defense is important. The team with the better defense won the game.

Forgive me, but I think there would be no ado if Mahomes had driven for a TD in overtime against the Pats. People are mostly angry because the outcome wasn't what they wanted.

I'm not sure you can call the Pats the team with the better D in a tie football game.

Better or more lucky?

I agree on why most folks are angry.

Edited by Figster
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

You have to have D in this league to get to and win the big one. KC’s D yesterday was one of the worst I remember seeing in a long time. They were epically bad and some things the Pats did were pretty basic however KC lost the trench battle, the second level battle, and DB’s were lost all over the place.

if they were that bad the Putz would have scored over 45 points.  just saying.  

10 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Regardless of who won, the overtime rules are dumb and I have felt that way all along. That said, I definitely would have preferred a Chiefs victory but that wouldn't change my opinion of the OT rules.

Good use of the word dudgeon.

Its the difference between pro and amateur(college).

While were at it lets give all teams a participation trophy.

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Someone called up WGR today while I was listening and offered what I thought would be a great modification to the OT rule...

Basically eliminate the OT coin toss and have it tie into the decision on the opening kickoff...basically whoever gets the ball first(usually the loser of the coin toss since most teams defer) will get the ball to start OT.  That way everybody knows who is getting the ball, there are no surprises and the end of the games can be coached accordingly based on the strategy involved with whether you know if you are getting the ball first or not if it looks like its going to OT. Additionally, the team who won the toss decided who got the ball in OT so there can be no crying about it.  You win the toss and want to defer to gain an advantage, then you take a small risk that if the game goes to OT the other team automatically gets the ball to start off.

I could totally get behind this.  Make deferring a more dangerous option.  

I think it is fine the way it is the Rams proved exactly what you do when you lose the coin flip you go out play defense get a turnover or stop the other teams offense and then score....all fundamentals of winning football.  Stop the other team and score points.

How many 3rd and longs did that pathetic chiefs defense allow on that OT drive ...three if I recall correctly 3rd and 7...3rd and 9...3rd and ten....

Why reward a team that obviously is not good enough to stop the opposing team from going 75yrds and scoring a TD.

7 hours ago, Figster said:

I'm not sure you can call the Pats the team with the better D in a tie football game. 

Better or more lucky?

The pats Defensively were the better team in the first half when they didn't let the chiefs score one pt. .......that is the difference in this game not the OT....people never want to place the blame where it truly is and instead divert to something more meaningless.

Edited by ILBillsfan

7 hours ago, MJS said:

The problem is that against good offenses, defenses are at a serious disadvantage because they're flat out exhausted. Does it matter in a Bills/Arizona Cardinals game? Not so much. However, when the Pats are the opponent - a team that constantly runs a TON of offensive plays in regulation (roughly 85 plays going into OT vs both Atlanta and KC, btw) -- the coin flip win gives them a huge advantage. I know that the Saints lost, but I believe that in most games involving playoff teams with good QBs/offenses, losing the coin flip puts you at a serious disadvantage to the point where it increases the likelihood that you'll lose.  

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

I think it is fine the way it is the Rams proved exactly what you do when you lose the coin flip you go out play defense get a turnover or stop the other teams offense and then score....all fundamentals of winning football.  Stop the other team and score points.

How many 3rd and longs did that pathetic chiefs defense allow on that OT drive ...three if I recall correctly 3rd and 7...3rd and 9...3rd and ten....

Why reward a team that obviously is not good enough to stop the opposing team from going 75yrds and scoring a TD.

The pats Defensively were the better team in the first half when they didn't let the chiefs score one pt. .......that is the difference in this game not the OT....people never want to place the blame where it truly is and instead divert to something more meaningless.

There was no differrence in the game at the end of regulation in case you missed it...

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

The problem is that against good offenses, defenses are at a serious disadvantage because they're flat out exhausted. Does it matter in a Bills/Arizona Cardinals game? Not so much. However, when the Pats are the opponent - a team that constantly runs a TON of offensive plays in regulation (roughly 85 plays going into OT vs both Atlanta and KC, btw) -- the coin flip win gives them a huge advantage. I know that the Saints lost, but I believe that in most games involving playoff teams with good QBs/offenses, losing the coin flip puts you at a serious disadvantage to the point where it increases the likelihood that you'll lose.  

Good posting dave, 

I realize I'm repeating myself,  play extra quarters until the tie is broken in a way that best simulates a game ending in regulation.

Its a no brainer...

8 minutes ago, Figster said:

There was no differrence in the game at the end of regulation in case you missed it...

What don't you get with football you stop the other team and you score points......this saints stupidity to change the OT rule the chiefs oh Mahomes didn't get his chance.

BS they had there chance in the game to make the difference too many whiners in life that complain life isn't fair well the system isn't rigged against you it's rigged against those that say it doesn't fit there free loving style sorry buttercup look in the mirror own up and don't blame a freaking coin flip for why you lost

9 hours ago, Figster said:

Better or more lucky?

They had the better defense statistically.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm not willing to accept that without looking at the data. My guess is that teams have a slight advantage by getting the ball first, but that it is not significant. I'd have to see the data though.

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

They had the better defense statistically.

I'm not willing to accept that without looking at the data. My guess is that teams have a slight advantage by getting the ball first, but that it is not significant. I'd have to see the data though.

Agreed.