OT Rule needs to change!

BuffaloButt

https://www.theringer.com/2017/2/6/16042116/nfl-overtime-rules-super-bowl-li-patriots-falcons-62316a6f8e3c

Now almost 2 years old, but this study showed that ever since the NFL's new OT system was introduced, the team winning the OT coin toss wins the game 54.8 percent of the time. That's not terrible, but it still probably gives more of an advantage to a random event than most of us would like to see. And I suspect it's getting worse - as offenses become more dominant, the percentage of drives resulting in a touchdown (and hence a sudden death) is going up. So it's time to revisit the rule. And while I'm not happy it benefited the Pats (again) today (as it did in the Super Bowl a couple years ago), this is not about sour grapes. It's about trying to ensure as even a playing field as possible.

• Like (+1) 1

If you watched the Chiefs all year, outside of that one playoff game against the Colts they had to win every game in a shootout. Well, defense might not mean much in the modern NFL, but it sure as hell means something in overtime when you lose the coin toss. Chiefs used all their available cap space and draft capital on one side of the ball and paid the price today.

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The old way it was less than one percent favour to the coin toss winner taking the W, sometimes with multiple possessions 

but fans have a cognitive disorder that makes them think it was 90 percent of the time

Pretty sure that the numbers showed that as making long FG's became commonplace the coin toss winner became more relevant. 

Still doesn't sway me. Play defense or win in regulation if your defense sucks.

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

If you watched the Chiefs all year, outside of that one playoff game against the Colts they had to win every game in a shootout. Well, defense might not mean much in the modern NFL, but it sure as hell means something in overtime when you lose the coin toss. Chiefs used all their available cap space and draft capital on one side of the ball and paid the price today.

Shoulda drafted Tre White last year and passed on Mahomes!  ?

• Haha (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Unless I'm mistaken, on the overtime drive the Chiefs D failed to stop the Pats at least 3 times on 3rd and around 10.  

I prefer the straight-up sudden death OT rules of the past.

what are you talking about? it was a 15 minute OT.

It was unfair for the Chiefs since the defenses are usually gassed by this point. If KC had won the toss, they most likely would have won.

BTW, I searched for the two threads last month about this very same topic (OT rules need to be changed), and they weren't in the results. I tried every word, like "OT", "rules", and "overtime". I would have been the one to start this thread if I had enough posts.

I do agree both teams should get the ball once.  Teams win and lose games, not half of a team.  And when Pats won the coin toss, they got to put their best unit (offense) on the field against the Chiefs worst unit (defense).  And with a TD, Chiefs don’t get the same opportunity to put their best unit (offense) against Pats worst unit (defense).  

So is it really fair that a coin decides how much of an advantage or disadvantage each team has in a game this important?  

Shame Mahomes doesn’t get a chance to dual Brady in OT after such a great game.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I do agree both teams should get the ball once.  Teams win and lose games, not half of a team.  And when Pats won the coin toss, they got to put their best unit (offense) on the field against the Chiefs worst unit (defense).  And with a TD, Chiefs don’t get the same opportunity to put their best unit (offense) against Pats worst unit (defense).  

So is it really fair that a coin decides how much of an advantage or disadvantage each team has in a game this important?  

Shame Mahomes doesn’t get a chance to dual Brady in OT after such a great game.  

It was less than a one percent advantage for the winner of the coin toss under the sudden death years

It’s just that fans whine all the time and think it was a 90 percent advantage

Just like fans whine all the time that all the calls go against their team when they even out almost always 

Edited by row_33

Just now, MJS said:

Stop crying. The rule is absolutely fine. Play defense or you don't deserve to get the ball back.

It’s a bit more “fair” under this rule, but there was never an advantage on the sudden death method

22 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

what are you talking about? it was a 15 minute OT.

Current rules are sudden death if first score is a TD or first score is a safety or first offensive drive isn't a score.

Prior to that it was first score wins. Everyone got their panties in a bunch over the one-drive-long-FG wins and got nutty about the coin flip winning the game.

I think you may be right about a true 15 minute OT at one point, but that would have pre-dated the two above.

Some of y'all are ridiculous.  The NFL continues year after year to make rules that favor the offense bc they like high scoring games.  Then they say in OT that if you don't want us to win then stop us.  You can't have it both ways.  Each offense should get an opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

It was less than a one percent advantage for the winner of the coin toss under the sudden death years

It’s just that fans whine all the time and think it was a 90 percent advantage

Just like fans whine all the time that all the calls go against their team when they even out almost always 

You didn’t actually discuss anything I just said though.  You’re just whining about people you perceive to be whining

3 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

The OT rule needs  to change giving the other team an opportunity to match a TD scored.  Falcons & Chiefs both lost due to a fricken coin toss!

Nah.  The Chiefs lost because their defensive scheme sucked, and they couldn't execute when it mattered.  The Chiefs lost because their LBs are not good enough in any phase.  The Chiefs lost because their offense was M.I.A. In the first half.   What they need to be given is a DE who doesn't line up in the damn neutral zone and wipe out a game clinching INT (I know his POP WARNER coach taught him and the other kids how to line up correctly his first year playing football).

So what the Patriots won the coin toss? That's a coin toss, not game play.  Chiefs had every opportunity to not lose that game.  If you want something to change hope the rules are changed to give the defense an opportunity to play football too.

Edited by purple haze

3 hours ago, wppete said:

The NFL needs to adopt the NCAA Overtime rules. Way more entertaining and is fair for both teams. 

Seems too gimicky to me and it runs up the score making betting the over/under problematic.  Plus, the record books for scoring would be skewed.

I think the easy fix to this is for each team to get a posession and have the chance to tie each other (like the Chiefs could've answered the Pats TD with a TD of their own).  Sudden death after that.