OT Rule needs to change!

BuffaloButt

They just have to change it to when the team I’m cheering for takes the lead, then the game is over

They get a million chances until they take the lead then the game is over and I win

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

You are correct.  The team I want should clearly win! 

The old way it was less than one percent favour to the coin toss winner taking the W, sometimes with multiple possessions 

but fans have a cognitive disorder that makes them think it was 90 percent of the time

11 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

The OT rule needs  to change giving the other team an opportunity to match a TD scored.  Falcons & Chiefs both lost due to a fricken coin toss!

Agreed. Maybe not in the regular season, but definitely in the playoffs. The new rule was created in a lower scoring environment out of concern that the winner of the coin toss would have too great an advantage because new era kickers could easily hit a 55 yarder: take possession at the 25, gain 37 yards, kick a FG, game over. Now that offenses score - and score touchdowns - at a significantly greater rate than even a few years ago, the coin toss is again becoming too great a factor.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Lol, Na. Play better defense. Make a stop.

Both the chiefs and falcons LOST BECAUAE THEY COUDNT MAKE A STOP.

BOTH THE CHIEFS AND FALCONS HAD OVER 90 PLAYS RAN ON THEM.

Unless I'm mistaken, on the overtime drive the Chiefs D failed to stop the Pats at least 3 times on 3rd and around 10.  

I prefer the straight-up sudden death OT rules of the past.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, wppete said:

The NFL needs to adopt the NCAA Overtime rules. Way more entertaining and is fair for both teams. 

An abominable gimmick made worse by counting all the TDs into regulation stats

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I really don't see any reason why - in the playoffs - we don't simply play it NBA or soccer style and add on a normal 15 minute period. The chances of a tie after the additional period are low enough that it would probably resolve 80-90% of ties without anyone whining about "fairness." It can't be unfair because it's just a continuation of the same game with the same rules, not based on something random like which side a coin lands on. If it's tied after the additional period, well, that's when some other rule more arbitrary rule can come into play.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, wppete said:

The NFL needs to adopt the NCAA Overtime rules. Way more entertaining and is fair for both teams. 

Yeah but what if my team doesn't play well on their first possession resulting in a punt or turn over on downs?  Do I then get to piss and moan and demand that the 15 minute OT period be completed?  After all I'm going to be super pissed if my team doesn't win.

29 minutes ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Lol, Na. Play better defense. Make a stop.

Both the chiefs and falcons LOST BECAUAE THEY COUDNT MAKE A STOP.

BOTH THE CHIEFS AND FALCONS HAD OVER 90 PLAYS RAN ON THEM.

Exactly!

Defenses and special teams are part of the team too.

No wonder the Patriots captains yelled "WE WANT THE BALL" with the Chiefs' mix of awesome offense and horrible defense

13 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I really don't see any reason why - in the playoffs - we don't simply play it NBA or soccer style and add on a normal 15 minute period. The chances of a tie after the additional period are low enough that it would probably resolve 80-90% of ties without anyone whining about "fairness." It can't be unfair because it's just a continuation of the same game with the same rules, not based on something random like which side a coin lands on. If it's tied after the additional period, well, that's when some other rule more arbitrary rule can come into play.

You’ll have someone complain they got the ball one less time that the team that won the toss. 

So, a simple fix would be two 8min overtimes where each team has a chance to lead with the ball. At the end of the 2nd OT, the score is final. The coin flip would be to see who gets their chance first or second. 

If its still tied, do it all over again 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 2