Do you do it yourself ???

mead107

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yep.  Basin wrench for reaching up under (and blindly behind) basin to tighten or loosen basin nut.  Without it, it's almost impossible to do, a total muthaphu...er.  

LoL... I have vivid memories of my old man hollering it up before he got one.  LoL

These were the pre-Chinese, Harbor Freight days when tools went for an arm and leg AND first born Son!  Ha!  MAGA!

Now... MOST faucets eliminate that nut, snap in, etc... But handy to have.  Neighbor went to change his father in law's faucet many miles away.  I told him to take it just in case.  He almost didn't take it!  He came back, thanked me... Said he had to use it.  It saved day!!!

I had to replace the drain in our tub.  I could not, for the life of me, get the old drain out.  Turns out, there's a special tool built specifically for this purpose.  I went to Lowe's, bought one for about $10, carefully opened it, used it, repackaged it, then returned it.  I've owned a home for about 20 years and have only had to use it once.  I'll take my 10 bucks back, thanks.

EDIT:  Here is the tool ... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman-Dumbbell-Wrench-45089/205807859?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D26P|26-7_PLUMBING_REPAIR_%26_REPLAC|NA|PLA|71700000033850300|58700003919643946|92700031584469550&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-JXiBRCpARIsAGqF8wXZYvGsRzyiaam9lNdiVVlkQDf-dp6KynYOhZXOMMRHEIlCaDtqKe4aAiQlEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Gugny

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Try changing a radio in a car.  

Some of them you do have to tear the whole interior out.  

Used to have an '84 Saab, turning off the warning light was a 3-hour job tearing out the dashboard.  :wacko:

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I had to replace the drain in our tub.  I could not, for the life of me, get the old drain out.  Turns out, there's a special tool built specifically for this purpose.  I went to Lowe's, bought one for about $10, carefully opened it, used it, repackaged it, then returned it.  I've owned a home for about 20 years and have only had to use it once.  I'll take my 10 bucks back, thanks.

EDIT:  Here is the tool ... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman-Dumbbell-Wrench-45089/205807859?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D26P|26-7_PLUMBING_REPAIR_%26_REPLAC|NA|PLA|71700000033850300|58700003919643946|92700031584469550&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-JXiBRCpARIsAGqF8wXZYvGsRzyiaam9lNdiVVlkQDf-dp6KynYOhZXOMMRHEIlCaDtqKe4aAiQlEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

That's a three way peace pipe...great for parties.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Battery on the 2014 MINI Cooper (F56)... I never seen anything like it!  Totally enclosed under hood.  Have to remove part of the hood molding... Total P.I.T.A. But it looks pretty all hidden and insulated in there.  I guess it's the heat and humidity that destroy batteries the most. Better damn work, extend the life of battery.

I dread changing it, probably throw a damn code or something! /smh

I had to remove the inner wheel well plastic to change the bulbs in my driving lights on my RAV4. 

Like most here, I know what I can do, and what tools I have, so I can choose my battles, or pay someone. Like when I moved in with my then GF, now wife, the cold water would not shut off when it was running, so she would run downstairs and shut it off manually when she heard the washer go into the spin cycle. No way was I doing that. Looked it up, and it was the valve in the washer itself. $40 for the part and about 20 minutes of my time. She also had a ceiling fan in the kitchen with a light that would not shut off, it worked off a remote, not the traditional pull chains. Looked it up, and found others had the same issue, the receiving unit in the fan was bad. Bought a new unit and viola! Fixed. 

Going to buy a 350 hp Steiger/International with an engine oil leak...probably going to try to fix that myself too. Will let you folks know how it goes. GD thing pulls a 14' offset disc...what a monster. 

574991-1.jpg

No electronics to mess with but still a bear of a job getting into an engine that's 8 feet off the ground. And nobody wants to help...go figure.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Dishonorable cheapskate! ?

LoL...

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Dishonorable cheapskate! ?

LoL...

He almost got me arrested! I went ballistic when I realized my new purchase was “pre-owned” and they refused to accept my return! They said the package had been opened. “Well, NOT by ME!”, I said. Then it got ugly..... 

I almost ended up in the Big House over a $10 tool. Some people.....

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

He almost got me arrested! I went ballistic when I realized my new purchase was “pre-owned” and they refused to accept my return! They said the package had been opened. “Well, NOT by ME!”, I said. Then it got ugly..... 

I almost ended up in the Big House over a $10 tool. Some people.....

Sorry, Augs!!!

I bought a screw extractor bit at Lowe's today.  When I got home and opened it, it was clearly bought/returned, but I didn't care.  It didn't do the job for this particular problem (one of my son's guitars ... ugh ...), but I'm sure it'll come in handy someday.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Sorry, Augs!!!

I bought a screw extractor bit at Lowe's today.  When I got home and opened it, it was clearly bought/returned, but I didn't care.  It didn't do the job for this particular problem (one of my son's guitars ... ugh ...), but I'm sure it'll come in handy someday.

That makes me cringe.  Why are you using a Lowe's screw extractor bit on a guitar?  Tell your son to get some real luthier's tools.  Or get a real guitar, and not some knock-off piece of crap that can be repaired with tools from Lowe's.  :cry:

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

That makes me cringe.  Why are you using a Lowe's screw extractor bit on a guitar?  Tell your son to get some real luthier's tools.  Or get a real guitar, and not some knock-off piece of crap that can be repaired with tools from Lowe's.  :cry:

It's the string stopper screw on the low E string of his floating tremolo (Edge 3) on his Ibanez RG-370-DXL (he's a lefty).  It's not one of his higher quality guitars, but it means a lot to him.  When he was changing his strings, he over tightened it and it snapped off.  Not enough room to dremel a slot, so I had to try to drill it out.  Even tried to epoxy a small screwdriver in there.  No dice.  We can order an entire saddle for that string for about $30, which we'll do this week.  In the meantime, the string is secure and the guitar is perfectly playable.

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's the string stopper screw on the low E string of his floating tremolo (Edge 3) on his Ibanez RG-370-DXL (he's a lefty).  It's not one of his higher quality guitars, but it means a lot to him.  When he was changing his strings, he over tightened it and it snapped off.  Not enough room to dremel a slot, so I had to try to drill it out.  Even tried to epoxy a small screwdriver in there.  No dice.  We can order an entire saddle for that string for about $30, which we'll do this week.  In the meantime, the string is secure and the guitar is perfectly playable.

You lost me in the first sentence, but we will pray for your low E string floating tremolo recovery. 

I think. 

• Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Get a set of "EZ-Outs"

https://www.amazon.com/ATE-Tool-piece-Screw-Extractor/dp/B0002UJNWE

41eHS38ziZL._AC_SY400_.jpg

24 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Not sure what size... But why would it damage it if you are careful and using right size extractor?

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Sorry, Augs!!!

Ooops, just saw this!

LoL...

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

wouldn't getting it serviced have been quicker ???   LOL 

That's after it was serviced.  Light was wired to the odometer to go off every 30k miles to remind you to change an oxygen sensor.  I changed the sensor - $20 and 10 minutes - then had to take it to a mechanic to have the light turned off.

Stuff around the house:  Mostly do it myself or with the help of my father-in-law.  If it's a big job (mainly electrical) (ex.  Had to have my circuit breaker panel and service replaced earlier this year), I'll outsource it.  Fixing roof, installing/fixing appliances, yardwork (tough to find time to do much other than mow/weed, though), snowblow, plumbing, etc, all falls to me.  I'm too cheap to hire someone else to do it.

As for my car, I tend to let a mechanic mess with those things.  I know next to nothing about cars.

13 hours ago, Gugny said:

and some said Ralph was cheap...