Do you do it yourself ???

mead107

Around the house, I do pretty much everything myself.  Plumbing, electrical, painting, staining, gutters, snow removal, lawn maintenance.

The only thing I do with my car is change the air filter, put air in the tires and fill the windshield washer fluid.  It's not even close to cost effective to change my own oil.  I pay $20 every 5-7 thousand miles.  I don't trust myself to do brakes or anything else, so I'm fine paying the pros.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Around the house, I do pretty much everything myself.  Plumbing, electrical, painting, staining, gutters, snow removal, lawn maintenance.

The only thing I do with my car is change the air filter, put air in the tires and fill the windshield washer fluid.  It's not even close to cost effective to change my own oil.  I pay $20 every 5-7 thousand miles.  I don't trust myself to do brakes or anything else, so I'm fine paying the pros.

I’ll buy you a beer if you will come and replace my windshield wipers. 

58 minutes ago, mead107 said:

What do you do yourself? 

I do my own driveway (snow)

Clean the House 

mow 

how much do you yourself?

We don't outsource any of those three.

For the most part, I like clearing snow. Depending on the accumulation I'll either shovel or use the snow blower. And if it's snow blower worthy I'll take care of neighbors who need help. Had an elderly couple I took care of for years.

Cleaning the house is probably an 80/20 proposition between wifey and me. She'd probably call it 90/10 or worse but the sad fact is that whatever the number is it trends in the wrong direction with each passing year.

I may be the only jackass on my block that doesn't have a lawn service AND doesn't have a ride-on mower. Fortunately I have sons and that transition has begun.

Yes, yes I do.

Lawn care, snow removal, minor home repairs, yes.

I’m not very picky about my lawn. I fertilized it once, about twenty years ago.  What a mistake, it just made the grass grow faster and thicker.  What’s the point in that?  It made mowing a bigger nuisance. 

I’ll do minor plumbing, finish carpentry, minor electrical.

Car maintenance, no, except for wiper replacement and washer fluid refill. 

My wife has a coworker who has a small engine repair business on the side.  He’s been doing the annual maintenance on my snowblowers and lawnmowers for the past three years. That’s a blessing.  He charges practically nothing since he knows us, but we give him a little extra money because we feel guilty and we are glad to have him do it. 

Self ..Mow lawn . less than 1/2 acre.  the hilly terrain of WV makes this a challenge.

remove snow.  snow blower since 1996.  

laundry.  I have done all the laundry since the 1990 bleach incident (  ? Mrs. lew )   that ruined a Sabres and a Bills golf shirt.

very minor car repairs. 

most house  repairs that don't involve electricity.

painting the house inside and out.

14 hours ago, mead107 said:

What do you do yourself? 

I do my own driveway (snow)

Clean the House 

mow 

home repairs

how much do you yourself?

don’t do car repair 

Home stuff, too much to list: landscaping, lawn care, masonry, carpentry. plumbing.  Last five years I've done custom trim molding, replaced a brick step, replaced a concrete pad, sodded the side yard (after the wife sprayed it with Roundup :wallbash:), replaced a water heater, replaced a toilet, sistered floor joists, rebuilt interior steps, built a deck, drywall, paint, installed a window.

Car repair, used to do most of it myself, but not having a garage now, it's not worth my time.  If I can get to it from above, and the weather's nice, I'll do it - spark plugs, water pump, air filters.

Also build my own guitars and computers.  And set my own broken ankle.

Basically, I hate people, so I do everything myself.

Edited by DC Tom

I lived in an apartment up until recently, so I really didn't have to do much. Although I used to mow my aunt's yard for her just because I like doing it. 

Not much of a car guy, but when I first bought my used car, the battery died literally any time I left it off for more than an hour. I learned how to jump start it in under a minute, till I brought it to a mechanic to get the issues fixed. Also, out of necessity, I can change a tire. 

My brother is an auto mechanic and said to me once "I bet you don't even know how to change your own oil!" Sure I do. I  take my car to Walmart, do some shopping, then give the guy $20. 

not so much anymore.

i can't fix simple stuff, but if it's semi-complicated, i punt it off.  i always did own yard work, but now we have a dude for the lawn, and i think i'm done cutting shrubs, weeding, raking leaves, etc.  there wasn't enough time this year.  i hate paying someone to do what i can do anyway, but for the first time in my life, i was sick of it.

16 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Do it all myself!

Sometimes the wife even helps. Sometimes I seek professional help when it's really hard. That doesn't happen too much, I am getting older so things really aren't that hard anymore... I learned a lot during my years.

?

I don't think he was asking about sex. ?

• Haha (+1) 1