NRC on the “non-call” (Update: FINED!)

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I actually look at it this way...........Brees chucked that ball where the DB should have easily intercepted it.........NRC made a moronic panicked play...... but it wasn't a good passing play that got fouled up by a desperate jersey tug or something that ball was going to have to go THRU a DB to get caught.  

My general impression of that game was that the Rams had been the better team.    Same with the Pats in their game.    The Saints actually got outplayed in both of their games IMO.    I'd like to see much better officiating for sure.......and I wouldn't be happy as a fan of a playoff team with all the contact that is allowed after a season where it was forbidden....... but the better teams won.

This logic is absurd. The only thing that matters in that saints game situation is that the referee missed as obvious of a penalty as there can be and if he does his job, saints win and go to the Super Bowl. There is no other way to look at it. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Time to implement more technology into refereeing. Time to modernize that embarrassing area in the business. 

It took blatant missed calls in big games to get us instant replay in the first place. I think this play will be the tipping point and they'll introduce some sort of limited review of penalties next year, especially with Payton on the competition committee.

Instant replay is great when it overturns the indisputable blown calls. Unfortunately it's devolved to the point where we're relying too much on the technology with super slo-mo and zoom to try to get borderline calls "right" when half the time nobody agrees on the correct call anyway. Oh well, there's no turning back on that aspect.

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

who is saying it wasn't a bad non-call?

so what do (or did you) do in real life when this happened to you or your actual team you were playing for??

1)  quit right on the spot and spend the rest of your life tearing the scab off?

not or

2)  suck it up and play harder?

what do you tell the kids you are coaching, or your son or daughter when a call goes against them... QUIT and grumble the rest of your life?

Not quite apples-to-apples, but I freakin' loved it when Wade Phillips took the team off the field before the end of the "just give it to them" game in NE.

Edited by Rico

1 hour ago, dubs said:

This logic is absurd. The only thing that matters in that saints game situation is that the referee missed as obvious of a penalty as there can be and if he does his job, saints win and go to the Super Bowl. There is no other way to look at it. 

If they called the multiple delay of games and facemasks against the Saints that they missed would any of that have mattered in the final score?

That's the thing about blaming officiating..........you have to take it in it's totality.

And you will never see a game even close to being perfectly officiated.

So do what the objective of the game is..........BEAT your opponent decisively...........if you let it come down to a play at the end you need to understand that you are leaving the result to luck/fate.

But hey look at it this way..........if coaches didn't play to the sticks and the clock and the scoreboard so much then "drama" like that missed call at the end doesn't happen.

And the truth is a lot of people....perhaps yourself......prefer the drama aspect to the competition.

A lot of Bills fans can't even STOMACH the competition..........they are always making excuses and lowering their own expectations and then blaming officiating or the league or cheating etc..?:doh:

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

It took blatant missed calls in big games to get us instant replay in the first place. I think this play will be the tipping point and they'll introduce some sort of limited review of penalties next year, especially with Payton on the competition committee.

Instant replay is great when it overturns the indisputable blown calls. Unfortunately it's devolved to the point where we're relying too much on the technology with super slo-mo and zoom to try to get borderline calls "right" when half the time nobody agrees on the correct call anyway. Oh well, there's no turning back on that aspect.

I think you are right that it will change now.  There's some really blatant calls that are missed. There are also a lot of fans that don't know the game and just scream at every call.  Read any comment section ever and you'll realize how stupid people really are.  Don't rely on a referee's opinion, that's clearly not good enough. 

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If they called the multiple delay of games and facemasks against the Saints that they missed would any of that have mattered in the final score?

That's the thing about blaming officiating..........you have to take it in it's totality.

And you will never see a game even close to being perfectly officiated.

So do what the objective of the game is..........BEAT your opponent decisively...........if you let it come down to a play at the end you need to understand that you are leaving the result to luck/fate.

But hey look at it this way..........if coaches didn't play to the sticks and the clock and the scoreboard so much then "drama" like that missed call at the end doesn't happen.

And the truth is a lot of people....perhaps yourself......prefer the drama aspect to the competition.

A lot of Bills fans can't even STOMACH the competition..........they are always making excuses and lowering their own expectations and then blaming officiating or the league or cheating etc..?:doh:

Come on, it’s two different 4th quarter drives ending in absolute muggings. It’s hard to compare that impact to whether the play clock was a tenth of a second late or a borderline incidental face mask happened. I get your point but there were a few huuuge plays. The holding of ginn on 3rd and 7 was pretty aggressive too. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Come on, it’s two different 4th quarter drives ending in absolute muggings. It’s hard to compare that impact to whether the play clock was a tenth of a second late or a borderline incidental face mask happened. I get your point but there were a few huuuge plays. The holding of ginn on 3rd and 7 was pretty aggressive too. 

Again.........the OTHER bad calls are not the point.

The Saints didn't make plays for most of the last 3 quarters...........including on two of the three downs in this infamous series......remember that terrible worm burner pass on first down.......and then Brees threw a should-have-been-intercepted pass and almost got bailed out by NRC making his own mistake...........but yeah.....season was STOLEN from them. :doh:

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Again.........the OTHER bad calls are not the point.

The Saints didn't make plays for most of the last 3 quarters...........including on two of the three downs in this infamous series......remember that terrible worm burner pass on first down.......and then Brees threw a should-have-been-intercepted pass and almost got bailed out by NRC making his own mistake...........but yeah.....season was STOLEN from them. :doh:

When your two big third downs in the 4th quarter see receivers clobbered substantially before the ball gets there, it gets hard to make clutch plays or extend drives. 

They had plenty of bad habits on display but... it’s hard to make the big play in the big moment when you get tackled while the ball is 10 yards away. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

When your two big third downs in the 4th quarter see receivers clobbered substantially before the ball gets there, it gets hard to make clutch plays or extend drives. 

They had plenty of bad habits on display but... it’s hard to make the big play in the big moment when you get tackled while the ball is 10 yards away. 

You can’t argue based upon what could have or “should have” happened. What DID happen was a blatant penalty that cost the Saints the game. This was not a missed facemask call in the first quarter. Things that happen in the beginning allow you time to overcome. You play a little differently, knowing the time and score. 

Things that happen at the end of the game have a finality that earlier calls do not. They are NOT all equal. 

30 minutes ago, Augie said:

You can’t argue based upon what could have or “should have” happened. What DID happen was a blatant penalty that cost the Saints the game. This was not a missed facemask call in the first quarter. Things that happen in the beginning allow you time to overcome. You play a little differently, knowing the time and score. 

Things that happen at the end of the game have a finality that earlier calls do not. They are NOT all equal. 

One thing NRC did put to bed is the talk of turning PI into anything other than a spot foul. I’ve often read here that corners wouldn’t intentionally interfere in the situation... 

but heck, on the saints last three drives the final plays ended up with a blatant PI no call, the worst PI no call in years (and helmet to helmet on a defenseless receiver to boot) and I haven’t seen a replay of the interception since at the game but it sure looked like brees was hit high and Thomas held at the time. It’s hard to make plays in that setting.

Edited by NoSaint

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I get that officiating sucks..........it's too subjective and the rules change in the postseason which makes it even worse and for that matter harder for the officials to do the job with any consistency.

But as I said........WIN THE GAME decisively and it doesn't come down to an officials call.

The Saints really have nobody to blame for losing that game but themselves...........man did they crap the bed in those last 3 quarters.........and Brees choked hard at the end and in regulation.   If there was any poetic justice NRC takes that terrible read/throw and intercepts it and takes it to the house to put the Saints out of their misery in regulation.

• Like (+1) 1