NRC on the “non-call” (Update: FINED!)

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I get that officiating sucks..........it's too subjective and the rules change in the postseason which makes it even worse and for that matter harder for the officials to do the job with any consistency.

But as I said........WIN THE GAME decisively and it doesn't come down to an officials call.

The Saints really have nobody to blame for losing that game but themselves...........man did they crap the bed in those last 3 quarters.........and Brees choked hard at the end and in regulation.   If there was any poetic justice NRC takes that terrible read/throw and intercepts it and takes it to the house to put the Saints out of their misery in regulation.

Sometimes teams are evenly matched and you cant win DECISIVELY.  You just fight and scrap tooth and nail to barely win at all. Cant have refs costing you a game.

Edited by Bfanlc
Spell check :(
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, NoSaint said:

When your two big third downs in the 4th quarter see receivers clobbered substantially before the ball gets there, it gets hard to make clutch plays or extend drives. 

They had plenty of bad habits on display but... it’s hard to make the big play in the big moment when you get tackled while the ball is 10 yards away. 

Apparently the Saints should have been able to win decisively with a couple drives in the 4th quarter, particularly the last one, only getting 3 downs to pick up 10 yards instead of the customary 4. That’s what happens when you don’t win decisively. 

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I get that officiating sucks..........it's too subjective and the rules change in the postseason which makes it even worse and for that matter harder for the officials to do the job with any consistency.

But as I said........WIN THE GAME decisively and it doesn't come down to an officials call.

The Saints really have nobody to blame for losing that game but themselves...........man did they crap the bed in those last 3 quarters.........and Brees choked hard at the end and in regulation.   If there was any poetic justice NRC takes that terrible read/throw and intercepts it and takes it to the house to put the Saints out of their misery in regulation.

Brilliant!!  All teams have to do now is run the “win decisively” playbook!!  It’s that simple!  

What happens when both teams run with the “win decisively” gameplan?  Not sure I want to know. ?

Edited by dubs
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I actually look at it this way...........Brees chucked that ball where the DB should have easily intercepted it.........NRC made a moronic panicked play...... but it wasn't a good passing play that got fouled up by a desperate jersey tug or something that ball was going to have to go THRU a DB to get caught.  

My general impression of that game was that the Rams had been the better team.    Same with the Pats in their game.    The Saints actually got outplayed in both of their games IMO.    I'd like to see much better officiating for sure.......and I wouldn't be happy as a fan of a playoff team with all the contact that is allowed after a season where it was forbidden....... but the better teams won.

You posts are incredible. Just going with the George Costanza approach here. 

Only way NRC makes an interception there is if he has eyes and arms on his back. He was sprinting to catch up to the wide open receiver on his way to catching an easy TD. It’s why he just pummeled him instead of making a play on the ball. 

Say hi to Prickly Pete!!  Enjoy your two Solariums!

It is a shame this game was tainted by this and just a bit on a good guy like NRC.  Not his fault at all he was just playing the game.

However, I would have loved it if everything stayed the same and just before NRC gets there he would have turned to face the direction of the ball and put his hands up.

People would still complain, but the controversy would be over as he would be going for the ball.

...damn, second thought, if he is there way to early that it probably should be called in that instance, too.

Still would have liked to have seen it. 

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I just disagree with this. It's all well and good to say "win the game decisively," but as it happens all final four teams were really good this year and there were no walkaways on offer. The Rams were 13-3 and dominant at many times this season. Plus they are probably the most star-heavy team in the league on both sides of the ball. This wasn't a game against the Bills or the Arizona Cardinals.

3 hours ago, dubs said:

Only way NRC makes an interception there is if he has eyes and arms on his back. He was sprinting to catch up to the wide open receiver on his way to catching an easy TD. It’s why he just pummeled him instead of making a play on the ball. 

Exactly. He basically said he had no idea where the ball was because he was beaten so badly. An INT wasn't ever in the cards.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I just disagree with this. It's all well and good to say "win the game decisively," but as it happens all final four teams were really good this year and there were no walkaways on offer. The Rams were 13-3 and dominant at many times this season. Plus they are probably the most star-heavy team in the league on both sides of the ball. This wasn't a game against the Bills or the Arizona Cardinals.

Exactly. He basically said he had no idea where the ball was because he was beaten so badly. An INT wasn't ever in the cards.

1) I've always believed that when it comes to close games.......FAR more often than not teams play themselves into closer games than necessary.

It's like......"well we have a lead and if we remain aggressive here we could expand it, demoralize the opponent and finish them off......but then again, we could make a mistake and open ourselves up to criticism.........well the odds are that if we play it closer to the vest here we should at worst come out with a small victory and that's all that matters so let's do that."

We see it time and again.

Yet whenever two good teams play and the game is close we, without fail, are treated with the "evenly matched" narrative...........and yet teams that clearly aren't evenly matched play close games too..........and sometimes considerably lesser talented teams even blow out their opponent(see Bills@Vikings). 

My take is human nature causes an excess of close games more than "even matchups" and when games are allowed to be decided by a play or two human error can become an unwanted byproduct.

My guess is that in due time analytics will take some of the drama out of the game........the way it has in MLB..........and people won't particularly love the decreased drama so for the benefit of people's mental health I would suggest they adopt an attitude like mine.    I loved those games because I acknowledge that it's interesting watching people make decisions and the consequences.

2) As for NRC........use your eyes.   He got to the receiver WAY before the ball.........so he CLEARLY........CLEARLY........was not beaten.    The ball went BEHIND HIM for chrissakes. :lol:

He simply panicked and THOUGHT he was beat and crapped himself.   The color guy was as stunned that he didn't intercept the ball as the way he plowed thru the receiver.    It was a totally f*cked up play all around and in a well played scenario where the first mistake is the last.......football fans should have been rewarded with a clean game ending pick-six that an official wouldn't have had the opportunity to blow the call on.

Didn't NRC take a similar pass to the house against Keenum when the Bills played the Rams in LA in 2016?   He's always been a good ball awareness guy but he flat out panicked there.   That was just an awful sequence of football.   You hope for better in that scenario but ultimately, like the players, the officials are going to make mistakes.   It outrages us but the game is so over-officiated as it is and at the same time anything short of disallowing contact of any kind with receivers isn't going to prevent mistakes either big and small. 

IMO it would also be great if such a disproportionately high percentage of the big plays in every game weren't made within 3 feet of the boundaries as well............but again........that adds drama and people prefer drama to competition every time.

36 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) I've always believed that when it comes to close games.......FAR more often than not teams play themselves into closer games than necessary.

It's like......"well we have a lead and if we remain aggressive here we could expand it, demoralize the opponent and finish them off......but then again, we could make a mistake and open ourselves up to criticism.........well the odds are that if we play it closer to the vest here we should at worst come out with a small victory and that's all that matters so let's do that."

We see it time and again.

Yet whenever two good teams play and the game is close we, without fail, are treated with the "evenly matched" narrative...........and yet teams that clearly aren't evenly matched play close games too..........and sometimes considerably lesser talented teams even blow out their opponent(see Bills@Vikings). 

My take is human nature causes an excess of close games more than "even matchups" and when games are allowed to be decided by a play or two human error can become an unwanted byproduct.

My guess is that in due time analytics will take some of the drama out of the game........the way it has in MLB..........and people won't particularly love the decreased drama so for the benefit of people's mental health I would suggest they adopt an attitude like mine.    I loved those games because I acknowledge that it's interesting watching people make decisions and the consequences.

2) As for NRC........use your eyes.   He got to the receiver WAY before the ball.........so he CLEARLY........CLEARLY........was not beaten.    The ball went BEHIND HIM for chrissakes. :lol:

He simply panicked and THOUGHT he was beat and crapped himself.   The color guy was as stunned that he didn't intercept the ball as the way he plowed thru the receiver.    It was a totally f*cked up play all around and in a well played scenario where the first mistake is the last.......football fans should have been rewarded with a clean game ending pick-six that an official wouldn't have had the opportunity to blow the call on.

Didn't NRC take a similar pass to the house against Keenum when the Bills played the Rams in LA in 2016?   He's always been a good ball awareness guy but he flat out panicked there.   That was just an awful sequence of football.   You hope for better in that scenario but ultimately, like the players, the officials are going to make mistakes.   It outrages us but the game is so over-officiated as it is and at the same time anything short of disallowing contact of any kind with receivers isn't going to prevent mistakes either big and small. 

IMO it would also be great if such a disproportionately high percentage of the big plays in every game weren't made within 3 feet of the boundaries as well............but again........that adds drama and people prefer drama to competition every time.

I sorta agree about NRC, but remember: the mind is the most powerful organ of all, so regardless of his physical position, he was out of the play. The pass was on target. But you're right, he panicked and basically choked.

I'm honestly not sure of your other point. The Rams are a good, talented team that overcame a couple of chokes by Gurley and put it together against an opponent they were about even with on the coaching and talent fronts. A lot of these games are see-saw affairs. Christ, when is the last time the greatest coach in NFL history had a "decisive win" in a SB?  To paraphrase your favorite coach, it's hard to win against good teams in the NFL. :)

Edited by dave mcbride

7 hours ago, dubs said:

Funny how my "hot take" posts that inflame those like yourself almost inevitably prove accurate/prescient though.    I guess TBT.:flirt:

Trust me I can't wait for the game to be taken out of the hands of human officials the same way I can't wait for umpires to go away in baseball...........but until the technology makes it so.......this is the product we have so buyer beware when you let the game come down to a play or two at the end.   

And like I said.......most of the whiny b*tches who blame officiating for deciding the game on one play amidst 150-200 other snaps aren't going to like it when the drama decreases because they like the drama A LOT more than the competition.:lol:

I mean........who wants to deal with the idea that your team was just out-coached or out-played when you can be outraged by an official or a kicker for a decisive play that only happened after inevitably dozens of other ineffective plays by your team over the course of a game?   

Edited by BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I sorta agree about NRC, but remember: the mind is the most powerful organ of all, so regardless of his physical position, he was out of the play. The pass was on target. But you're right, he panicked and basically choked.

I'm honestly not sure of your other point. The Rams are a good, talented team that overcame a couple of chokes by Gurley and put it together against an opponent they were about even with on the coaching and talent fronts. A lot of these games are see-saw affairs. Christ, when is the last time the greatest coach in NFL history had a "decisive win" in a SB?  To paraphrase your favorite coach, it's hard to win against good teams in the NFL. :)

The pass was on target...........to be intercepted for a pick six........it was a poor read/decision but the throw was right on the money!:thumbsup:

As for my other point.........I don't let the calls bother me.........gave that up long ago.......the blown call was an ugly mistake........not nearly as final as say, the Alshon Jeffrey dropped pass the week before........but either way, just dust yourself off and make the next play.........it wasn't even the end of the game and they had a chance to win in OT and blew that too.......even if comes down to one decisive play there were always opportunities to win games before the last two minutes of regulation.

I could go on but I don't want to continue to offend the people in their cubicles who are feverishly playing down to their competition so they have something to complain about at dinner tonight.:flirt:

Edited by BADOLBILZ

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The pass was on target...........to be intercepted for a pick six........it was a poor read/decision but the throw was right on the money!:thumbsup:

As for my other point.........I don't let the calls bother me.........gave that up long ago.......the blown call was an ugly mistake........not nearly as final as say, the Alshon Jeffrey dropped pass the week before........but either way, just dust yourself off and make the next play.........it wasn't even the end of the game and they had a chance to win in OT and blew that too.......even if comes down to one decisive play there were always opportunities to win games before the last two minutes of regulation.

I could go on but I don't want to continue to offend the people in their cubicles who are feverishly playing down to their competition so they have something to complain about at dinner tonight.:flirt:

It was certainly was as final as the Jeffrey play. If the call gets made, there is 1:45 left on the clock and it's first down with only one TO left for the Rams. If you assume three plays take around 15-18 seconds and then add on 78 seconds for between-play runoff, the Saints would have kicked the FG with about 8-9 seconds left. The Rams would have got it with 3-4 seconds left if it was a touchback, and zero time if they returned it. Game over. It's basic math.

Also, no comment on Belichick's string of decisive victories in Super Bowls? :) 

Edited by dave mcbride

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

That's my problem with it.

Payton sulked the rest of the game. You could see him bitching to the refs well in to OT about that play, and his team followed suit. 

if you want to be a big boy you gotta suck it up and play right to the last second

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It was certainly was as final as the Jeffrey play. If the call gets made, there is 1:45 left on the clock and it's first down with only one TO left for the Rams. If you assume three plays take around 15-18 seconds and then add on 78 seconds for between-play runoff, the Saints would have kicked the FG with about 8-9 seconds left. The Rams would have got it with 3-4 seconds left if it was a touchback, and zero time if they returned it. Game over. It's basic math.

Also, no comment on Belichick's string of decisive victories in Super Bowls? :) 

Actually my comment on Belichick's lack of margin of victory in SB's is.............in how many of those did he have the better roster?

None,  IMO.  

And if he wins this one it will be no different.

Hate the guy all you want but he is a competitive SOB to the core........he would rather beat you with lesser players that HE coaches up than anything else.

He tried having the best roster in the league........he annihilated teams week-in-and-week-out, set the NFL scoring record and finished 16-0.......and then his star-driven roster made "individual" mistakes and didn't get the job done in the SB and he's never tried that again.

It's maddening watching this guy keep his roster entirely beatable.....knowing full well he doesn't have to...........and then spin up a new gameplan every week and stymie opponents with almost mistake free play and execution.    

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Actually my comment on Belichick's lack of margin of victory in SB's is.............in how many of those did he have the better roster?

None,  IMO.  

And if he wins this one it will be no different.

Hate the guy all you want but he is a competitive SOB to the core........he would rather beat you with lesser players that HE coaches up than anything else.

He tried having the best roster in the league........he annihilated teams week-in-and-week-out, set the NFL scoring record and finished 16-0.......and then his star-driven roster made "individual" mistakes and didn't get the job done in the SB and he's never tried that again.

It's maddening watching this guy keep his roster entirely beatable.....knowing full well he doesn't have to...........and then spin up a new gameplan every week and stymie opponents with almost mistake free play and execution.    

I thought he had a way better roster vs. Carolina and both of those Giants teams (especially 2007; they had no business losing that game). It was arguably better than Philly's in 2004 too; Brady was a good bit better than McNabb and Dillon was a beast that season (and to be fair that Eagles wasn't as close as the score indicated). Bear in mind that i think he's the greatest coach ever. 

Edited by dave mcbride

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Funny how my "hot take" posts that inflame those like yourself almost inevitably prove accurate/prescient though.    I guess TBT.:flirt:

Trust me I can't wait for the game to be taken out of the hands of human officials the same way I can't wait for umpires to go away in baseball...........but until the technology makes it so.......this is the product we have so buyer beware when you let the game come down to a play or two at the end.   

And like I said.......most of the whiny b*tches who blame officiating for deciding the game on one play amidst 150-200 other snaps aren't going to like it when the drama decreases because they like the drama A LOT more than the competition.:lol:

I mean........who wants to deal with the idea that your team was just out-coached or out-played when you can be outraged by an official or a kicker for a decisive play that only happened after inevitably dozens of other ineffective plays by your team over the course of a game?   

Haha. Such a misguided post. Badolbilz strikes again. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/21/2019 at 10:53 AM, Thurman#1 said:

It completely looked like roughing the passer, a hit to the head. Until the video was slooooooooooooooooooooooowed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down.

It was a wrong call but extremely close. Which is why the announcers also got it wrong till they saw the slo-mo.

Yeah, thats your opinion.

But not mine.

Even in real time, it wasnt ROUGHING the passer.  In real time, the rushers hand might have grazed Bradys helmet.  But certainly wasnt a "shot" to the head.

Was a complete and total BS call.