Don't tell me the NFL (and pro sports in general) aren't rigged....

bills6969

50 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm sure I know the play you're referencing. It was a terrible spot, but it looked like he got the first down from my vantage point.

He may very well have made the first down line, but the refs made damn sure there was no doubt about it.

33 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

New Rule.  

Anyone that signals a ref for PI when there isn’t one should get a 5 yard penalty.  

I saw the Pats do it half a dozen times.  

Trying to get the "Brady Effect" by association.  I think the NHL has a penalty for diving, they should maybe do a similar penalty for the Brady-style bitching for an unwarranted penalty.  Extension of unsportsmanlike conduct.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

New Rule.  

Anyone that signals a ref for PI when there isn’t one should get a 5 yard penalty.  

It seems like every WR in the league does it several times a game....and it should be considered unsportmanlike conduct.  All they are doing is showing up the officials.

Personally I thought the two most exciting things that happened during the AFC Championship game were when the refs huddled up for about five minutes both times and then told us "The game clock is correct." Now THAT'S NFL football and the drama of competition at its finest! I'm glad that was on display yesterday to national TV audience so that even the casual fan could enjoy the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Trying to get the "Brady Effect" by association.  I think the NHL has a penalty for diving, they should maybe do a similar penalty for the Brady-style bitching for an unwarranted penalty.  Extension of unsportsmanlike conduct.

The NHL does?   

I’ve yet to see it called but maybe because of said rule. I’ve seen a few “fake flops”

the Brady Effect.  I like it 

A delay of game.  

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

New Rule.  

Flip side- Tommy lee Lewis needed to sprint to the refs demanding the call. They needed to know in the moment this was a big thing.

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Flip side- Tommy lee Lewis needed to sprint to the refs demanding the call. They needed to know in the moment this was a big thing.

I did stipulate falsely. 

Delay of game. 5 yard penalty 

What we saw in NO was justified and warranted a talk to the ref.  

16 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The NHL does?   

I’ve yet to see it called but maybe because of said rule. I’ve seen a few “fake flops”

the Brady Effect.  I like it 

A delay of game.  

I thought Brady Effect was a known term, maybe I was wrong and accidentally invented it.

In the MLB players get outright ejected from the game for questioning balls and strikes calls, don't think it's a stretch to have a 5 yard "minor unsportsmanlike conduct" for repeated attempts to coerce refs into a call.

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

I thought Brady Effect was a known term, maybe I was wrong and accidentally invented it.

In the MLB players get outright ejected from the game for questioning balls and strikes calls, don't think it's a stretch to have a 5 yard "minor unsportsmanlike conduct" for repeated attempts to coerce refs into a call.

The Brady Rules.  

Rules made to protect Saint Thomas 

14 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

WRONG: Not rigged or blind.  Just too chicken to make a game deciding call.  It's believable, done often by refs in all sports who don't want to take the responsibility of deciding a game when a non call gives the game back to the players to decide.  

Look at it this way.  2 teams won the coin toss in OT.  NO threw a pick & lost the game. NE won the toss and drove down the field for a TD.  In both cases the players decided the game.  

Sure, that’s what you’d like to think.  Doesn’t mean that that’s actually the truth.  

On 1/20/2019 at 4:57 PM, eanyills said:

Professional sports are not rigged. The fallout from a league-wide game rigging scandal (and subsequent federal prosecution) would probably end the league.

The money goes too far for any serious talk of rigging. 

The Western Conference finals in the NBA were fixed before and that league is more popular then ever.

What I don't understand in a situation like that, when the play first happened they said on TV "The officials are huddled up" Why don't they just huddle up for an extra long time, talk about the weather, where to go eat after the game whatever, just to kill some time.  And while they're huddled a couple of them look up out of the corner of their eye and watch the replay on the jumbotron.  Then say oops, and throw the flag. 

Yes they'd get ripped for throwing a flag maybe  20 seconds later, but probably less so than what's happening now. And at least they 'd know the right call was made.  They could always say we were just checking to make sure no one saw a tipped pass or something else and it took awhile to figure things out. 

On 1/20/2019 at 6:28 PM, bills6969 said:

Clear evidence today by that atrocious missed DPI.    The worst missed call I have ever seen in a football game and its not even debatable. 

So you missed Super Bowl XXVI & XL?

6 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Never underestimate the gullibility of the millenials.

Did you watch Game 6 of the Kings-Lakers Western Conference series back in 2002?  That was about as blatant as it gets.

On 1/21/2019 at 8:07 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

The first game was enjoyable.  But when a blown call changes the outcome .....  then I / we have valid points to b itch about 

The latter game ... someone breathed on Tom and got a RTP call.  

Shades of the TUCK rule.  

Um, you might want to reconsider after watching this brutally obvious and blatant pick play that went for 38 yards late in the game: 

On 1/20/2019 at 5:29 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

yuuuuuup

gotta pimp that LA team. Seats to sell in a 2 billion dollar stadium ya know?

If the NFL really wanted it to have the kind of transparency and governance as something like an Olympic event or such, they could start by having an independent Officiating body that has some kind of "objective" 3rd party oversight.

The "We police ourselves and we find that we are awesome" mantra that they try to sell just does not fly. Doesn't work in business, sports, etc..

Fans should always keep the perspective that this is an entertainment business that needs to fill seats and generate advertising revenue that BTW also now allows gambling over outcomes. Not to be all conspiracy theory, but there are a lot of reasons that folks would have to slant the outcomes of games including as you mention above towards creating favorable outcomes for teams in new markets with large fan bases and there is very little "real" oversight to prevent that from happening by means of favorable calls or non-calls.

So the NFL has enacted a conspiracy to cheat a popular team (the Saints) for a team that can’t fill half its stadium to play against a team that everybody outside of New England hates? 

Conspiracies are possible. But I fail to see how a bad call equates to “clear” or “obvious” evidence of anything but bad officiating. Your logic is questionable at best.

Further, the bad call is bad for the NFL, which already is suffering from bad PR from CTE, Anthem kneelers, limited millennial attention spans, parents increasingly not letting their kids play and declining viewership. How on Earth is a ***** no-call going to help the NFL?

Conspiracies need reasons for them to exist.