Don't tell me the NFL (and pro sports in general) aren't rigged....

bills6969

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

Bobby Hebert said three of the officials from yesterday's team are from California. He said they should be tarred and feathered.

Or at least fired.

I think if a ref makes a call that bad he/she should be suspended.  to get back off suspension they need to get 90%+ on a hard 100 question rules test.

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Or at least fired.

I think if a ref makes a call that bad he/she should be suspended.  to get back off suspension they need to get 90%+ on a hard 100 question rules test.

Lol. You think the issue is knowledge of the rulebook?

58 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Best outcome is still minimally better than the alternate outcomes.  They are not risking a $100B corporation to insignificantly add a teeny bit more ratings/profits on a single game.  Talk about terrible risk vs reward.  Let’s gamble a $100B company to charge a few hundred thousand more per commercial in one game.  That’s literally the only thing to gain, and honestly I highly doubt it’s even that much, if any at all.  And it impacts NEXT years Super Bowl commercial rates, not this years which were locked in and paid for already.  They base rates off expected ratings and the previous years game factors into that.  Ratings were gonna be strong no matter who made it, all teams had popular and great storylines, all teams had exciting teams.  Rigging the Rams and Pats has almost no value other than hoping Rams sell more tickets.  And again, they aren’t risking a $100B league, that’s owned by all 32 owners to help one team sell a few more tickets.  

Two different arguments.  You said if it was rigged they would have helped the Saints and Brees.  I am basically saying not necessarily.  For your second argument...  Just because the NFL may or may not be rigged doesn't mean that certain referees aren't corrupt. 

Outside of that, it was probably the worst blown no call I have ever seen.  Even if they aren't corrupt or "rigged" that was some pretty incompetent referring.  Its the title game and these refs are suppose to be the best of the best like the players were.  The Saints got screwed big time.  It literally is the difference between a win and a loss.  I have no skin in this game as I couldn't have cared less who won.  Therefor I hold no bias. 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, SDS said:

In some cases knowledge of the rule book is the problem, the refs know it so well that they will call some minuscule thing that's buried somewhere and hasnt been called in decades (usually favoring the Patriots somehow in one of their games though)

Yesterdays blown call was more about refs on the field missing the play or not being at an angle to get a good look at it to make the call. I do believe that the refs involved should be fined or reviewed for future games they will be involved in, but that's only to get them to be better on the field. If teams wont seriously hold players accountable for missing plays or costing them games (linemen for the Chiefs yesterday with the offside, or Clay dropping an easily catchable ball in Miami) why should we expect more from the officials and the league?

Here's what should have happened.

New Orleans calls a timeout RIGHT after that play and doesn't go back onto the field until that play is reviewed.

You MUST force the hand of the NFL. You don't just sit there and take it, because when you do, you lose. You see what happened when they just "dealt with it".

No, you make them make the right call. Even if they penalize you and fine you and whatever it may be, you MUST be the aggressor in this situation.

That no-call essentially destroyed the Saints and everyone knows it. L.A. got in via the cheap way, and that's horse *****.

If that happened against the Bills the crowd would have rioted and the game would likely be put on hold due to the refs running into the tunnel in fear of their lives.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Two different arguments.  You said if it was rigged they would have helped the Saints and Brees.  I am basically saying not necessarily.  For your second argument...  Just because the NFL may or may not be rigged doesn't mean that certain referees aren't corrupt. 

Outside of that, it was probably the worst blown no call I have ever seen.  Even if they aren't corrupt or "rigged" that was some pretty incompetent referring.  Its the title game and these refs are suppose to be the best of the best like the players were.  The Saints got screwed big time.  It literally is the difference between a win and a loss.  I have no skin in this game as I couldn't have cared less who won.  Therefor I hold no bias. 

Did the refs screw this up big time, yes absolutely.

Difference in winning or losing though was when they passed (incomplete) on first down instead of running.  That was a bigger factor than the PI as the PI never happens if they run on first down.  It was the dumbest call I have seen in a big moment like this.

And Saints had multiple chances to still win the game after the PI and failed to do so.  Yet PI getting called there doesn’t guarantee a win either.  

Still, none of this has anything to do with the NFL rigging the game.  And Rams or Saints making SB has almost no measurable benefit in the scope of risking a $100B corporation on it. 

They simply need to make judgement calls reviewable like PI and roughing the passer.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I disagree.

Isn't all of what we are doing right now, beefing constantly about "the NFL" on these types of sites part of the entertainment we enjoy?

Of course it is!---and the NFL depends on that.  No other pro league generates this kind of 365 day a tear passion about the tiniest of details.  Nobody cares about the NBA, NHL or MLB in their off seasons (if they even care during those interminable seasons), yet the NFL RULES the sports  news cycle all year long.

No entertainment entity in the world is better at manipulating their viewers than the NFL. 

EVERYONE says "I'll never watch an NFL game again!"----and the League knows you're lying....that you are incapable of turning away.

EVERYONE says "the NFL is dying", or "the end is coming for the NFL"....yet the league continues to destroy all other pro leagues, with gap widening, and continues to bring in record revenues.

Despite some of these owners seeming to be legit morons (at least at running their teams), it doesn't matter.  This business is idiot proof and there are enough clever owners to keep the golden goose fat.  And they have Roger Goodell as the villain fans can't hate to love enough.  He is the NFL's greatest asset.  He is paid handsomely to be the very public villain and take all the punches for Kim, Terry and the others. 

It's all genius.  "Are you not entertained?"

You have a point. But at the risk of going all amateur social theorist on you - maybe both statements are true.  The actual entertainment of the game itself is negatively impacted by all the reviews/stoppages/seemingly arbitrary decisions. But you're right: we're now in kind of a "meta" entertainment world, where enjoying the event itself seems to be less important, or at least less interesting to people, than arguing about what it all means and how history could have been changed. I will likely remember nothing about this year's Academy Awards, but I will remember that Kevin Hart was disinvited, or disinvited himself. Or that last year, or a couple years ago, it was all about "#OscarsSoWhite."  That stuff we can still chew on long after the event is over. There's no topic posted here on the nature of, "Find Words to Describe the Brilliance of Mahomes Getting the Ball Around a Defender By Throwing Sidearm." Yet there's multiple topics about the game being rigged, about the OT rules needing changing, about what referee was assigned to the game, etc, etc. -- all "meta" topics.  Maybe it's generational, and I know I'm on the wrong (well, older) side of the split, but I really think just making the call on the field and then moving on makes for a better real-time game experience. But the NFL, like everything else, is all about the "meta" level now, and they are masters of manipulating it. See the Great NFL Cycle of Life:  Super Bowl -> Combine -> Free Agent Period -> Draft -> "Optional" Preseason Workouts -> Training Camp -> Roster Cuts -> Regular Season -> Playoffs/Super Bowl. All beautifully staggered to keep the talk and controversy flowing ....

14 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You have a point. But at the risk of going all amateur social theorist on you - maybe both statements are true.  The actual entertainment of the game itself is negatively impacted by all the reviews/stoppages/seemingly arbitrary decisions. But you're right: we're now in kind of a "meta" entertainment world, where enjoying the event itself seems to be less important, or at least less interesting to people, than arguing about what it all means and how history could have been changed. I will likely remember nothing about this year's Academy Awards, but I will remember that Kevin Hart was disinvited, or disinvited himself. Or that last year, or a couple years ago, it was all about "#OscarsSoWhite."  That stuff we can still chew on long after the event is over. There's no topic posted here on the nature of, "Find Words to Describe the Brilliance of Mahomes Getting the Ball Around a Defender By Throwing Sidearm." Yet there's multiple topics about the game being rigged, about the OT rules needing changing, about what referee was assigned to the game, etc, etc. -- all "meta" topics.  Maybe it's generational, and I know I'm on the wrong (well, older) side of the split, but I really think just making the call on the field and then moving on makes for a better real-time game experience. But the NFL, like everything else, is all about the "meta" level now, and they are masters of manipulating it. See the Great NFL Cycle of Life:  Super Bowl -> Combine -> Free Agent Period -> Draft -> "Optional" Preseason Workouts -> Training Camp -> Roster Cuts -> Regular Season -> Playoffs/Super Bowl. All beautifully staggered to keep the talk and controversy flowing ....

Certainly many say the game itself is negatively impacted by refs, etc......yet they simply cannot stop watching!  No one can, it seems.

And, as soon as the season ends, no one can wait for the season to start!  Meanwhile, no one is even watching the NBA, the NHL or MLB.

What I think happened on that call was yes it was inside 2 minutes. Refs tend to let both teams get more physical. Inside those refs mind they know the scenario before they do anything.

That ref knew at that point of the game if he threw a flag for PI the game would be pretty much done and the game would end on his call.

He probably thought it wasn’t as bad as it was (worst non call ever).  And plain an simple he didn’t want the game to end and wanted it to be close down to the wire.

Those refs know what they’re doing. He just wanted it to end differently other than on his PI call.

Don’t know if he wanted a specific team to win.... but he thought he was saving the game and helping it come down to the wire. Well you screwed the Saints, the ref did play a huge part in that 100%.

2 hours ago, SDS said:

not necessarily. But then again, how come the ref there didn't know that if you lower your head and plow into a receiver early without even looking for the football is a foul?  There were actually 2 fouls by Robey on that hit.  Do you think that ref knew the rules and chose not to call it?  That's even more disturbing.

i was thinking of more of a penalty on the ref. That was a huge blown call that should be accounted for, not just move onto the next  game.  There should be serious consequences for a blown call like that.

As long had he/she is suspended, couldn't hurt to brush up on an overly complicated rule book.

Edited by reddogblitz

22 hours ago, Foxx said:

just stop.

...agree....BILLIONS at stake in TV revenues as well as advertisers as THE major sources.....how many of those would want to be supportive of a game fixing, collusive and corrupt organization?........think about the public outcry, financial fallout and throw in the "government do-gooders (COUGH-photo op time)" sticking their noses in the fray....

I was more annoyed at the spot they gave Patriots on a run about 4 minutes into the fourth quarter.  He appeared to be stopped just maybe inches short of the first down, but they spotted the ball a full yard past where ANY part of his body reached, beyond the first down.  You could literally drive a shopping cart through the path between where the furthest part of his form (never mind the ball) reached and where they spotted it for the first down.

22 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I was more annoyed at the spot they gave Patriots on a run about 4 minutes into the fourth quarter.  He appeared to be stopped just maybe inches short of the first down, but they spotted the ball a full yard past where ANY part of his body reached, beyond the first down.  You could literally drive a shopping cart through the path between where the furthest part of his form (never mind the ball) reached and where they spotted it for the first down.

I'm sure I know the play you're referencing. It was a terrible spot, but it looked like he got the first down from my vantage point.