Don't tell me the NFL (and pro sports in general) aren't rigged....

bills6969

12 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So who is on the fix?  Players? Refs? Owners?

Coaches?  

Stupid thread.  Nothing more than human error. 

Its probably just a troll thread.

Yea the NFL is rigged to make money yet the two teams in the biggest market have been awful for years and the Cowboys, their most valuable franchise by far, hasnt won anything in a long long time. Also the NBA is rigged, thats why the Knicks win every year and small market teams like Oakland, SA and Cleveland are rarely successful.

Edited by jletha
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

the non-call was a lot closer than many of you would like to think. and if any of you watched any of the playoffs, this year or any of the recent past years, you would understand that PI is not called as close as it is during the regular season. in fact it typically tends to become more lax as the season wears on.

the second replay in this tweet shows that the ball was right about there. and 'd be willing to wager that if an overhead shot were found, it would show that it was even closer.

stop with this nonsense.

Sorry, no.  It was an egregious and flagrant foul.   Most people knew it was PI the second it happened.  I didn't need any replay to confirm it.  The Ball wasn't there yet, and NRC never played the ball, and tee'd off on the receiver, which in and of itself is also a foul.

I'm not claiming conspiracy, but the Ref's were certainly in agreement that they would not be enforcing PI in that game.  It's hard to believe that at least one Ref couldn't have stepped up and tossed out a late flag; even if the other zebras weren't going to.

You can bet this instigates some form of rule change discussion this off season.

Edited by wiskibreth

I will write the same I have written before when these threads come up.

Huge, major, big time, professional sports leagues around the world have fallen victim to corruption via paying off referees to alter the outcome of games at the right time with a strategic call or non-call.

To think that the NFL and 'Murica is somehow immune to this, because, you know, we are the greatest nation on Earth, is ridiculous.

Does that mean either of these championship games were rigged?  No.

But if you are thinking "it couldn't happen here" you are mistaken.

I don't believe in the rigged conspiracy theory.  In fact, I'll go further and say anyone who believes that everything is rigged should book an appointment with a local psychiatrist. 

This is what I believe: The refs were chickens.  They knew if they called a penalty, it basically ends the game & gives NO the victory.  So they chickened out of making the call that would decide the game & instead of doing their jobs, they let the game continue as is so it was up to the players to decide the game.  Was it wrong?  Absolutely.  You call a penalty no matter what part of the game it is if it's a penalty.  However, it's not like a no call in the final minutes of games has never been done before.  We've seen stuff like this for many years in the NBA & NHL, where the refs don't want to be THE deciding factor.  

There's an interesting part of history in Buffalo sports.  I was at this game & like the rest of the fans, left in stunned silence.  In April 1974 with Boston leading the 7 game playoff series 3-2, game 6 was tied with seconds to go.  Jo Jo White put up a last second shot and the refs called a foul on Bob McAdoo.  White hit 2 free throws and ended the Braves season.  That day the refs did their jobs and Braves fans are still PO'd to this day because we all believe the refs decided the game. http://buffalobraves.blogspot.com/2009/02/1973-74-season.html

Back in Buffalo for the sixth game of the series, the two teams again went back and forth. The Braves trailed by four points with 20 seconds left, but McAdoo scored two baskets, raising his total to 40, to tie it. This time it was the Celtics with the last shot, though. Jo Jo White of Boston took it and missed it, but McAdoo was called for a foul right at the buzzer by referee Darell Garretson.

But was it before or after the end of play? "Jo Jo contends to this day that he was actually fouled before the buzzer," Smith said years later. What's more, if the foul came before the buzzer, shouldn't the Braves have been given the ball for one last shot?

Nope. With all of the players waved away from the free-throw line, White missed the first free throw but made the next two. Just like that, the Celtics had won, 106-104, and the Braves' season was over.

Boston went on to win the NBA championship over the Milwaukee Bucks. Buffalo and its 18,237 fans in the Aud that night were left waiting for next year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jletha said:

Also the NBA is rigged, thats why the Knicks win every year and small market teams like Oakland, SA and Cleveland are rarely successful.

I stopped paying attention to the NBA a long time ago after seeing way too many late game questionable calls to help the Lakers, Celtics, Sixers, and Bulls win.  I was a big fan too.  But it became obvious certain teams were treated differently by the refs than others.

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

the non-call was a lot closer than many of you would like to think.

I would argue that it was one of the most if not the most blatant non call I've ever seen in all my years (many) of watching NFL football.

There was nothing close about it.

What was close about it? 

Edited by reddogblitz

6 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I stopped paying attention to the NBA a long time ago after seeing way too many late game questionable calls to help the Lakers, Celtics, Sixers, and Bulls win.  I was a big fan too.  But it became obvious certain teams were treated differently by the refs than others.

I would argue that it was one of the most if not the most blatant non call I've ever seen in all my years (many) of watching NFL football.

There was nothing close about it.

What was close about it? 

close1
/klōs/
adjective

1. 1.
    a short distance away or apart in space or time.
    "the hotel is close to the sea"
    synonyms: near, adjacent, in close proximity, close/near at hand;

players, ball, hit.

So what happens to the ref that blew the call?  Easily the worst non call ever.  Never has a play been so obvious.  The only way someone could miss that call is by A: not watch it or B: it’s rigged.  It’s unbelievable

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, 42Knuck said:

Couldn’t agree more. Have believed that since the Ain’ts won the Super Bowl the year Katrina destroyed NO. 

The worse franchise in the history of the league, not even close, and the win it all. 

Nice story though. 

Saints didn’t win it the year after Katrina tho we won in 09-10 Katrina happened in 2005. 

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

So what happens to the ref that blew the call?  Easily the worst non call ever.  Never has a play been so obvious.  The only way someone could miss that call is by A: not watch it or B: it’s rigged.  It’s unbelievable

WRONG: Not rigged or blind.  Just too chicken to make a game deciding call.  It's believable, done often by refs in all sports who don't want to take the responsibility of deciding a game when a non call gives the game back to the players to decide.  

Look at it this way.  2 teams won the coin toss in OT.  NO threw a pick & lost the game. NE won the toss and drove down the field for a TD.  In both cases the players decided the game.  

• Like (+1) 1

The Saints game was terrible but the refs screwed over the chiefs against the Pats as well.

The ridiculous roughing the passer penalty that gave the Pats a 1st down they scored on was the worst.

...and really wtf is up with Brady hugging the referee before the Chargers game?

3.jpg.3870bf39358a79ed1fab88d0f5ec848d.jpg

I have been watching football since my old man used to make me hold up the bunny ears on the TV in 1969. Every year it gets harder and harder to watch. An exciting play happens and you have to wait before you can celebrate because your looking at the TV waiting for the little flag thing to show up. You need a lawyer and 10 different camera angles before you can call a play a play.

I used to watch football, any football no matter who was playing. I doubt I will even watch the Superbowl this year and if I do it will just be for the commercials. I honestly don't think I can even call myself a football fan anymore. Just a Bills fan.

All this over refereeing and replay has just killed the game for me.

Edited by steven50
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, steven50 said:

The Saints game was terrible but the refs screwed over the chiefs against the Pats as well.

The ridiculous roughing the passer penalty that gave the Pats a 1st down they scored on was the worst.

...and really wtf is up with Brady hugging the referee before the Chargers game?

3.jpg.3870bf39358a79ed1fab88d0f5ec848d.jpg

I have been watching football since my old man used to make me hold up the bunny ears on the TV in 1969. Every year it gets harder and harder to watch. An exciting play happens and you have to wait before you can celebrate because your looking at the TV waiting for the little flag thing to show up. You need a lawyer and 10 different camera angles before you can call a play a play.

I used to watch football, any football that was on no matter who was playing. I doubt I will even watch the Superbowl this year and if I do it will just be for the commercials. I honestly don't think I can even call myself a football fan anymore. Just a Bills fan.

All this over refereeing and replay has just killed the game for me.

I think everyone would agree the game is now too rules-oriented and many of the rules, as worded, are too vague and complex to be quickly and easily enforced.

Between reviews, referee pow-wows before making a call, and most of all, TV commercials, the games are so disjointed now with stoppages it is hard to immerse yourself in the vibe of the game and feel like you are watching a game.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I 'm not so sure. The NFL has been pumping this NFL in LA thing heavily.  Ticket sales have not been great. Today's "win" probably translates into thousands of season tickets to the new Crystal Cathedral. Washing out in LA (again) would be embarrassing for Roger.

Again, not going to risk a $100B corporation for a couple thousand ticket sales.  And the NFL owners own and run the league, not the commissioner is just an employee.  

7 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I read an article the other day. It was CBS saying the best outcome would be Pats Rams. Everybody watches because they hate the Pats and want to see them lose. For the Rams it was about big market and young team. Something to that effect. Can’t seem to find it on my phone. Maybe later when I get home. 

Best outcome is still minimally better than the alternate outcomes.  They are not risking a $100B corporation to insignificantly add a teeny bit more ratings/profits on a single game.  Talk about terrible risk vs reward.  Let’s gamble a $100B company to charge a few hundred thousand more per commercial in one game.  That’s literally the only thing to gain, and honestly I highly doubt it’s even that much, if any at all.  And it impacts NEXT years Super Bowl commercial rates, not this years which were locked in and paid for already.  They base rates off expected ratings and the previous years game factors into that.  Ratings were gonna be strong no matter who made it, all teams had popular and great storylines, all teams had exciting teams.  Rigging the Rams and Pats has almost no value other than hoping Rams sell more tickets.  And again, they aren’t risking a $100B league, that’s owned by all 32 owners to help one team sell a few more tickets.  

12 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I 'm not so sure. The NFL has been pumping this NFL in LA thing heavily.  Ticket sales have not been great. Today's "win" probably translates into thousands of season tickets to the new Crystal Cathedral. Washing out in LA (again) would be embarrassing for Roger.

Goodell??

WTF does he care if LA tanks?  He gets paid either way.  He had nothing to do with that.  It's his bosses that wanted a team in LA.  The Pegulas couldn't raise their hands fast enough when that (near unanimous) vote came up to have the Rams bareback St. Louis and move  to LA.