Grab and Go: How Sticky Gloves Have Changed Football

notwoz

Here's an interesting article that explains why catches we once thought to be impossible to catch are now possible. I have noticed the increased number of highlight-reel one-handed catches in recent years, but never thought that it was the gloves. Silly me, I thought receivers were just getting better (that's a joke, BTW). Also I never realized that the gloves are made to be a bit "stickier" than bare hands. Makes sense, but I never thought about it. Now if only someone could make those helmets more concussion-proof (that's sarcasm, BTW).

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/20/sports/super-bowl-nfl-gloves.html

With respect to OP and author- this is kinda DUH. When 35 yr old gym class heroes like myself are making full speed backhanded 1 handed catches during flag football... its obviously the gloves. If you have big enough hands and can get a palm on it, youre golden. Sometimes even fingers. Its fun for sure, but it lets avg joes make sick catches.

Edited by gobills1212

2 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

With respect to OP and author- this is kinda DUH. When 35 yr old gym class heroes like myself are making full speed backhanded 1 handed catches during flag football... its obviously the gloves. If you have big enough hands and can get a palm on it, youre golden. Sometimes even fingers. Its fun for sure, but it lets avg joes make sick catches.

Well. it's been decades since I played flag football. And even then, we only played it when we played co-ed football. So I guess I'm not as "wonderful" as you. 

4 minutes ago, notwoz said:

Well. it's been decades since I played flag football. And even then, we only played it when we played co-ed football. So I guess I'm not as "wonderful" as you. 

I think you missed the point my man... Why dont ya take a 2nd pass at it and put the sticky gloves on this time!!! BUT... now that you mention it - i am pretty wonderful:)

Edited by gobills1212

23 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

I think you missed the point my man... Why dont ya take a 2nd pass at it and put the sticky gloves on this time!!! BUT... now that you mention it - i am pretty wonderful:)

Ok. I get it. It's not your "skill." it's the gloves. Thanks for clearing that up. 

I never played high school football but I got into flag football leagues few years back. I got myself a nice pair of gloves, it's literally impossible to drop the ball if it hits your hands, which makes it even more sad how the Bills receivers dropped so many balls.

8 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I miss the days of manly men of the NFL, when CB Lester Hayes literally had to coat his hands with glue to get the same effect.

Didn’t those scuba mitts help Duper and Clayton?

Lester intercepted the ball between the numbers on his back with thst stickem enterprise

sorry, Belitnikoff goes back 50 years for catching help

Edited by row_33

7 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I miss the days of manly men of the NFL, when CB Lester Hayes literally had to coat his hands with glue to get the same effect.

That was Hayes team mate Fred Belitnikof's nick name "Sticky hands". I can still remember from childhood seeing the guy lathering his hands with stickum on the sideline.

3 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

That was Hayes team mate Fred Belitnikof's nick name "Sticky hands". I can still remember from childhood seeing the guy lathering his hands with stickum on the sideline.

Fred was the pioneer, forgot he went back to at least the 1968 season until i watched a tape of the AFL Title Game

14 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Flutie introduced the predecessor glass cutting gloves to Bills when he was signed.

I have seen WRs do hands to the face when blocking and wonder what it does to bare skin or hair when this occurs.

Flutie couldn’t palm the football well, a few times it slipped out of his hand for key fumbles 

On 1/20/2019 at 5:22 PM, notwoz said:

Here's an interesting article that explains why catches we once thought to be impossible to catch are now possible. I have noticed the increased number of highlight-reel one-handed catches in recent years, but never thought that it was the gloves. Silly me, I thought receivers were just getting better (that's a joke, BTW). Also I never realized that the gloves are made to be a bit "stickier" than bare hands. Makes sense, but I never thought about it. Now if only someone could make those helmets more concussion-proof (that's sarcasm, BTW).

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/20/sports/super-bowl-nfl-gloves.html

There is ongoing research in trying to develop helmets that do a better job of protecting against concussions.  Easier said than done, however.

Edited by TigerJ