Bills promote Asst WR coach Chad Hall to replace Robiskie

YoloinOhio

37 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Air Force Academy grad.  Convinced the Air Force to allow him to serve in the reserves - instead of active duty - so he could pursue his NFL dreams.    Tried out for the Bills but wasn't signed. Kicked around the league for 4 or 5 years as a back up and practice squad player.  Described as very hard working.  

Alternatively, McD may have been super-impressed with Chad and they're working out some details before making the announcement.  

...plenty of newbees getting shots league wide in various positions.....and as a two year assistant, he's indoctrinated into the McDermott way and may have EARNED a promotion vs "can't attract good WR Coaches" indictment....

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Maybe Hall had other interviews within the league and college?

That could be the case, too, that there was interest in him from outside the organization. It’s very common in any well executed hiring process that of an internal candidate is the top one of the opening, that the hiring manager would want to talk or at least review some other candidates externally before deciding to ensure they are acting on objectivity vs familiarity, etc. And to make sure they are indeed hiring the best available candidate. I would not assume at all that he wasn’t the top choice, but rather more likely he was and was not beaten out by any other coaches they may have potentially considered. His name was already buzzing around the day robiskie was fired. 

I would compare it to the process back when McD was hired. The HC job was initially considered ALynn’s job to lose ( if you believe the reports). The Bills planned to offer it to him, but wanted to interview external candidates as well to ensure they went through a thorough process. They ended up evaluating McD at a higher level as the best candidate for this particular team, and it was no longer ALynn as their top choice. 

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Alternatively, maybe he was the guy working with the Practice Squad players such as Foster while Robiskie was working with KB etc - and Daboll was impressed by the strides they took vs. the non-progress made by KB etc?

On the one hand, some of us don't like the Coaching Carousel of retreads in the NFL ("expect different results by doing the same thing = insanity), but then the flip side is we can't dismiss the possibility that young guys getting a shot may actually deserve it.

That would be amazing if true.

I think it is great, give the man a change.  The academy background you know he has the discipline, work ethic organization.  And he just didnt play football at the Academy, was just good enough to be marginal NFL player so current players have to respect that.

51 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

So this guy was LIKELY not McDermott's first, second, or even third choice or he would have been hired weeks ago. McD seems to be having some trouble attracting top coaching candidates.

OR, Daboll and McDermott wanted to hire and oline coach first. McDermott also needed  to hire a ST coach. Once these hires were complete it was about fit for the staff. For all we know Daboll always wanted to promote Hall but wanted to make sure he would get along with the oline hire. After some initial meetings Daboll and McDermott feel good about how the staff is running. 

Speculation of the positive kind instead of the ‘Bills stink and never get a break’. 

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It is possible but also just as possible that they did decide they wanted to promote him awhile back, but wanted to do due diligence on other potential candidates just to be sure before pulling the trigger. That is more in line with how they do things. 

You mean it was part of a plan?  A process perhaps?  This is so much more difficult to believe than the negative interpretation.  You are just a pollyanna. ?   Take off those rose-colored glasses you Buckeye sympathizer.

The Bills just got:

14 years younger at OL Coach

32 years younger at WR Coach (if the report is correct and Marvez is not wrong very often)

14 years younger at ST team coach

I see a head coach building a staff that's going to be around a while and having more confidence in his ability to manage a young, energetic staff that may need more input.

Edited by JoeF

I have a hard time believing that McDermott is having a hard time attracting top candidates. 

If for no other reason than the Pegulas pay their coaches top dollar. 

It has been reported numerous times that they were/are paying assistant coaches the highest salaries in the NFL + NHL, in order to attract top talent. 

Seems like a silly assumption to make anyway. We have exactly zero information on who they interviewed or what their hiring process is/was. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm not casting any judgement on Hall. I have absolutely no idea what kind of coach he'll be(if true). Just noting that he was likely not the first choice.

You sure that's all you were " just noting likely"?

Backing up folks, beep beep beep

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

You sure that's all you were " just noting likely"?

Backing up folks, beep beep beep

Oh, I fully believe Hall was not their first choice. Just rather not deal with semantics and points were made that lead me to believe my initial assumption could in fact be wrong. I'm always open to differing perspectives and they occasionally sway me to a certain extent. 

I BELIEVE he was not their first choice, but since we'll never know, it's misguided to characterize it as fact.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

So this guy was LIKELY not McDermott's first, second, or even third choice or he would have been hired weeks ago. McD seems to be having some trouble attracting top coaching candidates.

It’s sort of sad how sensitive some fans are. What you said is 100% right.  There is no way he was close to the first option.  He may be a great coach but folks need to be real about things. 

And i I hate the idea of retread but I do think there is value in veteran position coaches who have had a track record of nfl success.  TR is a good coach who was given a bunch of ? to work with.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s sort of sad how sensitive some fans are. What you said is 100% right.  There is no way he was close to the first option.  He may be a great coach but folks need to be real about things. 

And i I hate the idea of retread but I do think there is value in veteran position coaches who have had a track record of nfl success.  TR is a good coach who was given a bunch of ? to work with.

There are times I'd rather just throw in the towel. It is what it is.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess my point is, I don't see how we can know or not know whether he's the first choice, or if he is the first choice whether he "won out" after they talked to a bunch of people.

You could be correct in that they could have talked to a bunch of guys and been turned down by their #1 and #2 choices.

Or, they could have talked to a bunch of guys and decided that Hall had a bunch of great ideas for developing WR and that plus his familiarity with Daboll's offense made him #1.

I don't know - but do you, or are you assuming?

3 weeks in usually isn’t where you finally move on the in house guy unless you got surprised by the process 

that doesn’t mean he isn’t the right guy but unlikely he was the guy at the top of their list the day the position opened.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Stand here on the Jump to Conclusions mat.

The new ST Coordinator is a top candidate, as was Bobby Johnson, based on his innovative approach to the ST group in CAR last season. Bobby worked with th e top O-line in the league. Our Ocoordinator was rumoured to have garnered interest as a future HC and our d-coordinator was an HC. No top talent? 

Rumored is the key word there. Did Daboll interview for any of the jobs Williams turned down?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Sometimes I think people look too hard at individual coaches, missing the idea that there's a 'staff'.

If the previous assistant is well thought of, even though he lacks some experience, as a HC I'd be looking to see if there was someone else on the 'staff' who he could turn to if he needed advice on something. Seems like there might be, in Culley, who while he may be QB coach, has a wealth of experience as a WRs coach.

Also, the assumption that they are done looking, may be false. There are still 4 teams with coaches they might want to speak to - especially bearing in mind previous links to NE with Daboll.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, iinii said:

Rumored is the key word there. Did Daboll interview for any of the jobs Williams turned down?

Of course not. If Daboll turns the offense around next season, maybe he'll get an interview.

It was never realistic to think that he was going to get HC offers this season. I mean, it wouldn't have been out of the question to fire him after finishing 31st on offense. Considering what he had to work with, it would have been unfair. But when your offense teeters on historically bad for much of the season, a promotion is highly unlikely. I'm all about giving him a year to work with Allen and see if he can right the ship, but no. Just no. It was never going to happen.

Someone will undoubtedly point to Lafleur, but Daboll has a much longer track record of poor performance. He's (hopefully) got a QB now, so it's time for his offense to step up.

• Like (+1) 1