Bills promote Asst WR coach Chad Hall to replace Robiskie

YoloinOhio

This thread is mind-numbing.  I've learned that in minds of a few posters promoting Hall would be a clear sign McD can't attract top coaching talent and is a desperation move.  I've also learned that apparently several posters know the exact interview schedule of whom the Bills have contacted/considered for the position, and Hall was on the "oh, and we should probably talk to him too" list.

Potential positives:  young, played in the NFL, strong background, and theoretically was a part of Foster's development; also has been in McD's system so knows the ropes and fits with the culture.

Potential negatives:  has never held a top coaching position and the Bills' WRs as a whole have been rather disappointing during his two years on the staff.

This back and forth over whether he is their first, second, third, or tenth choice is so pointless.  Those who want to continue to imply McD can't hire the coaches he wants are just flat out wrong.  Does anyone listen to guys like Bill Cowher who are singing his praises consistently?  That stuff isn't being said in a vacuum -- it's McD's reputation around the league.

I'll say what I said for the OL and ST hires -- I'm glad they're not retreads.  That would be true here as well.  Nobody knows how well these guys will do getting their first opportunities in key roles.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ron curry former Tar Heel? 

Yeah.  It hought the delay might be because their choice for WR coach might still be with a team in the playoffs.  The most logical choice would be an assistant WR coach that his present team would release for a promotion.  Ron Curry is an assistant WR coach for the Saints, who are not out.  Just a guess though.  I don't pretend to have any inside info.

35 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Yeah.  It hought the delay might be because their choice for WR coach might still be with a team in the playoffs.  The most logical choice would be an assistant WR coach that his present team would release for a promotion.  Ron Curry is an assistant WR coach for the Saints, who are not out.  Just a guess though.  I don't pretend to have any inside info.

Not out of what?

10 hours ago, eball said:

This thread is mind-numbing.  I've learned that in minds of a few posters promoting Hall would be a clear sign McD can't attract top coaching talent and is a desperation move.  I've also learned that apparently several posters know the exact interview schedule of whom the Bills have contacted/considered for the position, and Hall was on the "oh, and we should probably talk to him too" list.

Potential positives:  young, played in the NFL, strong background, and theoretically was a part of Foster's development; also has been in McD's system so knows the ropes and fits with the culture.

Potential negatives:  has never held a top coaching position and the Bills' WRs as a whole have been rather disappointing during his two years on the staff.

This back and forth over whether he is their first, second, third, or tenth choice is so pointless.  Those who want to continue to imply McD can't hire the coaches he wants are just flat out wrong.  Does anyone listen to guys like Bill Cowher who are singing his praises consistently?  That stuff isn't being said in a vacuum -- it's McD's reputation around the league.

I'll say what I said for the OL and ST hires -- I'm glad they're not retreads.  That would be true here as well.  Nobody knows how well these guys will do getting their first opportunities in key roles.

I would say it's always been more difficult to attract coaches/free agents to Buffalo. It has less to do with McDermott than it does weather/small market/lack of success.

McDermott would likely have a far easier task of attracting the "top" guys if he coached in Houston/LA/NO etc. It's entirely possible that the under the radar guys will end up being solid hires.

There wasn't a peep of reported interest from other teams in any of the guys the Bills hired. Not a peep. That leads me to believe they were not sought after. Doesn't mean it won't work out in our favor.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I thought Ronald Curry as well. 

He’s learned under Sean Peyton for the last 2 years, plus been around Brees. He also had a year or two in San Fran.

To give Hall the job means they really see something special with the limited amount of coaching he has.

I also thought the may bring in the assistant QB coach from New England being he comes from the same style. Then moving Culley back to WR coach.

We will see

4 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I thought Ronald Curry as well. 

He’s learned under Sean Peyton for the last 2 years, plus been around Brees. He also had a year or two in San Fran.

To give Hall the job means they really see something special with the limited amount of coaching he has.

I also thought the may bring in the assistant QB coach from New England being he comes from the same style. Then moving Culley back to WR coach.

We will see

The main reason I don't think Culley is leaving the QB coach position is that the opportunity to coach QBs was probably the condition upon which he left the Chiefs.  Should that be taken from him, I would guess he would be pissed.

Edited by TigerJ

On 1/20/2019 at 8:33 PM, LSHMEAB said:

I believe Hall was not the top choice based on the timeline. As far as Bob Johnson and Heath Farewell are concerned, they're also undistinguished coach's who didn't appear to be on other team's radar. Maybe McDermott preferred to go the up and comer route or maybe the more established coach's made decisions to go elsewhere. I have no idea. I'll withhold judgement on the quality of the hires until we see the 2019 Buffalo Bills. Really an exercise in futility to attempt to assess how a position coach will fare in his first go round.

How do we really even know what the timeline was, though? 

We didn’t hear about any interviews, only announcements for the guys that were hired. For all we know, Hall could have been plan A all along, with it being his job to lose. 

I’m not saying that was the plan or not. Just that IMO, There’s simply not enough available information to really have any idea who their top choice was.

On 1/20/2019 at 11:53 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Alternatively, maybe he was the guy working with the Practice Squad players such as Foster while Robiskie was working with KB etc - and Daboll was impressed by the strides they took vs. the non-progress made by KB etc?

On the one hand, some of us don't like the Coaching Carousel of retreads in the NFL ("expect different results by doing the same thing = insanity), but then the flip side is we can't dismiss the possibility that young guys getting a shot may actually deserve it.

It seemed that somebody taught Foster something. He looked like a sprinter who had never played football before early in the season. At the end of the year he looked like a brand new guy who could run routes and actually catch the ball. That was a very cool transformation to watch. Let’s hope it continues! 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

So can we now assume that Hall is probably not McDermott's first choice? I mean, at some point, you have to think they have/had other guys in mind. If Hall was a slam dunk hire, it'd be done by now. IMO!

10 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

So can we now assume that Hall is probably not McDermott's first choice? I mean, at some point, you have to think they have/had other guys in mind. If Hall was a slam dunk hire, it'd be done by now. IMO!

IMO it’s likely they have decided, but weren’t going to randomly announce it in a Q&A at Senior Bowl practice.

the chad hall stuff getting leaked while he was coaching at the EW shrine game is a lot of smoke, especially considering his name was being discussed out there since the minute Robiskie was fired. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Is that photo from his high school yearbook? 

If he can do the job, I’m thrilled. I don’t know how or why the light seemed to go on with Foster, but he looked like a different player at the end of the year. Progress was the name of the game last season.