Bills promote Asst WR coach Chad Hall to replace Robiskie

YoloinOhio

Air Force Academy grad.  Convinced the Air Force to allow him to serve in the reserves - instead of active duty - so he could pursue his NFL dreams.    Tried out for the Bills but wasn't signed. Kicked around the league for 4 or 5 years as a back up and practice squad player.  Described as very hard working.  

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

So this guy was clearly not McDermott's first, second, or even third choice or he would have been hired weeks ago. McD seems to be having some trouble attracting top coaching candidates.

Alternatively, McD may have been super-impressed with Chad and they're working out some details before making the announcement.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

So this guy was clearly not McDermott's first, second, or even third choice or he would have been hired weeks ago. McD seems to be having some trouble attracting top coaching candidates.

Stand here on the Jump to Conclusions mat.

The new ST Coordinator is a top candidate, as was Bobby Johnson, based on his innovative approach to the ST group in CAR last season. Bobby worked with th e top O-line in the league. Our Ocoordinator was rumoured to have garnered interest as a future HC and our d-coordinator was an HC. No top talent? 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Air Force Academy grad.  Convinced the Air Force to allow him to serve in the reserves - instead of active duty - so he could pursue his NFL dreams.    Tried out for the Bills but wasn't signed. Kicked around the league for 4 or 5 years as a back up and practice squad player.  Described as very hard working.  

Alternatively, McD may have been super-impressed with Chad and they're working out some details before making the announcement.  

Agree.. knowing how process-oriented they are, I think it’s very likely scenario that he was interested in promoting Hall but wanted to do due diligence on other potential candidates before jumping. Since he’s under  contract, there was no urgency to make the move before waiting for the dust to settle a bit on who might come available from all the coaching changes around the league, just to confirm for themselves that he was the best candidate. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 7

10 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Alternatively, maybe he was the guy working with the Practice Squad players such as Foster while Robiskie was working with KB etc - and Daboll was impressed by the strides they took vs. the non-progress made by KB etc?

On the one hand, some of us don't like the Coaching Carousel of retreads in the NFL ("expect different results by doing the same thing = insanity), but then the flip side is we can't dismiss the possibility that young guys getting a shot may actually deserve it.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Stand here on the Jump to Conclusions mat.

So now you're stealing that other guys idea Waddams? Bad form! Great reference by the way.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Alternatively, maybe he was the guy working with the Practice Squad players such as Foster while Robiskie was working with KB etc - and Daboll was impressed by the strides they took vs. the non-progress made by KB etc?

On the one hand, some of us don't like the Coaching Carousel of retreads in the NFL ("expect different results by doing the same thing = insanity), but then the flip side is we can't dismiss the possibility that young guys getting a shot may actually deserve it.

I'm not casting any judgement on Hall. I have absolutely no idea what kind of coach he'll be(if true). Just noting that he was likely not the first choice.

• Like (+1) 1

So now you're stealing that other guys idea Waddams? Bad form! Great reference by the way.

I'm not casting any judgement on Hall. I have absolutely no idea what kind of coach he'll be(if true). Just noting that he was likely not the first choice.

I guess my point is, I don't see how we can know or not know whether he's the first choice, or if he is the first choice whether he "won out" after they talked to a bunch of people.

You could be correct in that they could have talked to a bunch of guys and been turned down by their #1 and #2 choices.

Or, they could have talked to a bunch of guys and decided that Hall had a bunch of great ideas for developing WR and that plus his familiarity with Daboll's offense made him #1.

I don't know - but do you, or are you assuming?

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Ex player...  young guy, only 32....  last season was his first season on a coaching staff.

Does he know McVay??

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Theres the connection.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess my point is, I don't see how we can know or not know whether he's the first choice, or if he is the first choice whether he "won out" after they talked to a bunch of people.

You could be correct in that they could have talked to a bunch of guys and been turned down by their #1 and #2 choices.

Or, they could have talked to a bunch of guys and decided that Hall had a bunch of great ideas for developing WR and that plus his familiarity with Daboll's offense made him #1.

I don't know - but do you, or are you assuming?

The timeline SUGGESTS he was not their first choice, but I am not Dunkirk Don. Though I prefer speculating to assuming. Assuming has such a negative connotation. 

One would think this decision would have already been made if they were going to promote from within. 

• Like (+1) 1

The timeline SUGGESTS he was not their first choice, but I am not Dunkirk Don. Though I prefer speculating to assuming. Assuming has such a negative connotation. 

One would think this decision would have already been made if they were going to promote from within. 

It is possible but also just as possible that they did decide they wanted to promote him awhile back, but wanted to do due diligence on other potential candidates just to be sure before pulling the trigger. That is more in line with how they do things. 

• Like (+1) 8

27 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yup like that OC that NE wanted.  What was that guys name?

Some guy named Daboll I believe.

I will admit that firing Coaches when you give them crap to work with is not a good look.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I guess when you said " So this guy was clearly not McDermott's first, second, or even third choice or he would have been hired weeks ago. McD seems to be having some trouble attracting top coaching candidates. " the last sentence seemed like speculation based on the assumptions in the first sentence.

My point is I don't think it's necessarily true that the decision would have already been made if they were going to promote from within.  I say that based on career experience where sometimes the internal candidate was the one promoted; sometimes that happens only after a bunch of external candidates are brought in and it's decided the "best candidate" is the one already here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Maybe Hall had other interviews within the league and college?

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

Maybe Hall had other interviews within the league and college?

Anything is possible. As I've stated, it's pure conjecture(not assumption) on my part that he was not their first choice. We'll probably never know for sure.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess when you said " So this guy was clearly not McDermott's first, second, or even third choice or he would have been hired weeks ago. McD seems to be having some trouble attracting top coaching candidates. " the last sentence seemed like speculation based on the assumptions in the first sentence.

My point is I don't think it's necessarily true that the decision would have already been made if they were going to promote from within.  I say that based on career experience where sometimes the internal candidate was the one promoted; sometimes that happens only after a bunch of external candidates are brought in and it's decided the "best candidate" is the one already here.

But my original post now says LIKELY and not certainly.?