Free agency is coming. 5 facts to know about the Bills roster heading into the 2019 offseason

On 1/20/2019 at 10:44 AM, Pete said:

It's gonna be fun.  I haven't looked this forward for a Bills offseason since the 90's

I agree, Pete, but I feel we’ll be less than enthralled with the early returns when the team heads to training camp. Beane has made it clear he won’t get into another Cap Hell so quickly, so I’m expecting roster fills from FA. For all the grief Star gets around here, the brass is very satisfied with his performance and it met their expectations. Granted, that was a lot of $$, even for this era. As for 2-4ths, 5ths & 7ths, can we really expect game changers or even starters? Considering he cleaned out the scouting dept. immediately after taking the reins, his only Draft was last year. It had some fine yield, buts it’s still early yet. Plus, we have a fine very young core that will be looking for a second contract soon.

I guess what I’m saying is I have to shelve my dreams of signing AB & Paradis and trade for Mack..

Given that Beane was part of the Panthers front office when they drafted RT Daryl Williams, that is who I'm expecting to be the one "big ticket item" the Bills spend on -- assuming the Panthers don't re-sign him first.

I also expect them to hand out a moderate contract to an offensive guard. 

Beyond that, it's anyone's guess. I DO agree with the notion that they're not gonna go out and spend crazy money. A lot of Bills fans who've set themselves up to think we're gonna be big players in free agency may be disappointed.

If they can get the offensive line mostly squared away and find some linebacker or corner depth, I'll consider FA a big win.

52 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I agree, Pete, but I feel we’ll be less than enthralled with the early returns when the team heads to training camp. Beane has made it clear he won’t get into another Cap Hell so quickly, so I’m expecting roster fills from FA. For all the grief Star gets around here, the brass is very satisfied with his performance and it met their expectations. Granted, that was a lot of $$, even for this era. As for 2-4ths, 5ths & 7ths, can we really expect game changers or even starters? Considering he cleaned out the scouting dept. immediately after taking the reins, his only Draft was last year. It had some fine yield, buts it’s still early yet. Plus, we have a fine very young core that will be looking for a second contract soon.

I guess what I’m saying is I have to shelve my dreams of signing AB & Paradis and trade for Mack..

....think we currently have 6 UFA's, 3 RFA's and 2 EFRA's (excludes Lorax who signed).....a workable list IMO... somebody posted that McBeane said, "we assign a value to a player and that's it".....so I see him as a prudent FA value spender versus "the big splash".....agree that those rounds are governed by the "law of diminishing returns".....yet I'd say McBeane and his "Gang of 17" were pretty impressive....Proehl is the only one gone......add in UDFA's Foster and Wallace for good measure.....

Round 4, Pick 21 (No, 121 overall): Taron Johnson, CB, Weber State

Round 5, Pick 17 (No. 154 overall) [via Baltimore]: Siran Neal, CB, Jacksonville State

Round 5, Pick 29 (No. 166 overall): Wyatt Teller, G, Virginia Tech

Round 6, Pick 13 (No. 187 overall): Ray-Ray McCloud, WR, Clemson

Round 7, Pick 37 (No. 255 overall): Austin Proehl, WR, North Carolina

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills don't need to make big splash signings.

They can acquire the 3 starters they need without breaking the bank.

And they can trade down on draft day, with this being a deep draft, and filling out the rest of the roster with solid rookies.

Bright days are ahead.?

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Given that Beane was part of the Panthers front office when they drafted RT Daryl Williams, that is who I'm expecting to be the one "big ticket item" the Bills spend on -- assuming the Panthers don't re-sign him first.

I also expect them to hand out a moderate contract to an offensive guard. 

Beyond that, it's anyone's guess. I DO agree with the notion that they're not gonna go out and spend crazy money. A lot of Bills fans who've set themselves up to think we're gonna be big players in free agency may be disappointed.

If they can get the offensive line mostly squared away and find some linebacker or corner depth, I'll consider FA a big win.

some will be disappointed i expect.

But shoring the O line should be the priority and that means  " any way possible"
I see some money spent there.

On 1/23/2019 at 4:29 PM, vincec said:

Why do I keep reading/hearing that the Bills "won't draft for need." They are absolutely going to draft for need and have nearly always done that. They have a big list of needs and will take the best player that fills one of those needs- WR, DT, DE, OT, OG. Maybe even TE. They aren't going to take a QB, LB or a safety at #9 even if that's the "best player available."

The only time I can remember the Bills drafting a player because they thought he was the BPA without regard for need is when they took CJ Spiller in 2010 when they already had Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch on the roster. And frankly, that was idiotic.

they certainty drafted for need in 2018.

12 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

they certainty drafted for need in 2018.

and how'd that work out for them??  ;)  ;)  :D 

IMO they need to work on the offense primarily and still pick a key player or 2 for the defense.  

Who that is is anyone's guess at the moment.   Now if we only knew a guy who knew a guy with access to the draft board .... 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

On 1/24/2019 at 3:01 AM, LSHMEAB said:

Sad, but true. Even Cleveland has some cache.

I was just back in Buffalo for the 2017 Raiders game and was blown away by the improvements downtown. Stayed at the damn Hampton Inn by the Airport and even that was awesome. People drinking RESPONSIBLY in the hallways, etc. Yeah, that's my kind of place. Went to 716 and it was amazing!

With all that said, Buffalo is not a great FA destination so it's always going to be more important than anything to draft well. Pittsburgh figured that out years ago. We need to be uncharacteristically aggressive this offseason, but it shouldn't be the 

We've seen the Bills add players on Defense and the oline via free agency over the yrs. Its the top rated skill position guys that really dont sign here. With that being said McBeane really needs to understand this and use the draft especially in the higher rds to aquire these types of players. 

Use the cap space to add to the lines

DLINE

DT 3tech Grady Jarett 25

DE Dante Fowler 24

These 2 signings add great depth to our line Grady will give us that burst we didnt have up the middle allowing our ends to get home and get some sacks. Fowler is only 24yrs old and entering his prime. I can see him flourishing in Mcd defense . We still have Shaq, Murph & Hughes on the edges . Sign back Phillips to a modest deal and we will have at least 8players that can play in a heavy rotation. 

Oline 

RT D Will 26

LT Trent Brown 26

C Mitch Morse 26

If we can land these 3 players get ready for great yr. I would try to bring them all in on visit from the 1st day of free agency. Overpay if u have to because we will save money on the the skill position players that we aquire during the draft. So overpaying and outbidding everyone wont kill our cap. Plus these guys are all in there primes with yrs ahead of them. Our line will be a strenght for yrs to come.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

and how'd that work out for them??  ;)  ;)  :D 

IMP they need to work on the offense primarily and still pick a key player or 2 for the defense.  

Who that is is anyone's guess at the moment.   Now if we only knew a guy who knew a guy with access to the draft board .... 

Don't know.  It's early. :)

I was responding to them saying they don't draft for need.

5 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

We've seen the Bills add players on Defense and the oline via free agency over the yrs. Its the top rated skill position guys that really dont sign here. With that being said McBeane really needs to understand this and use the draft especially in the higher rds to aquire these types of players. 

I like that approach. For whatever reason, the big ugly's seem to be more amenable to Buffalo than the high profile skill position players. 

We've swung and missed in FA'cy in the past. Big contracts to Dockery and Langston freaking Walker! It's up to Beane to identify the right players and you listed some good ones.

Probably gonna have to get our skill guys in the draft, although the BPA at 9 is likely to be a D lineman and that is the only area of need on defense.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:17 PM, LSHMEAB said:

Is there still a penalty for not using enough of the cap? Because I feel like we're gonna have a hard time even getting close to the number.

There is no additional penalty other than any money NOT spent to the "cap floor" goes to the NFLPA.

So far there has not been a team that has not reached the cap floor.

The Bills are a long way off from worrying about it.

People should know that it is not about cap space it's about cash spending.

All the Dead Money the Bills had is "cash spending".

The next "cap floor" calculations are due at the end of the 2020 season, so this year means nothing.

I won't go over the exact numbers but IF the Bills are projected to carryover 70 million into the 2021 season then it's time to worry.

That's carryover not cap space.

• Like (+1) 1