Free agency is coming. 5 facts to know about the Bills roster heading into the 2019 offseason

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It’s all led up to this.

Brandon Beane inherited a less-than-ideal salary cap situation when he took over as Buffalo’s general manager in the 2017 offseason. He spent his first year-and-a-half on the job attempting to remedy the problem, accumulating over a reported $50 million in dead money in the process.

Now, Beane and the Bills enter the 2019 offseason with more than a reported $80 million in cap space. The general manager now has the opportunity to put his stamp on the roster - he just has a bit of housekeeping to take care of first.

...don't we have a workable, pared down UFA list?.....Alexander is obviously now "in the house".....thought a few seasons ago we had some absurd number like 23 UFA's........

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...don't we have a workable, pared down UFA list?.....Alexander is obviously now "in the house".....thought a few seasons ago we had some absurd number like 23 UFA's........

Have to check spotrac I guess. 

13.   https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/buffalo-bills/

26 in 2020

4 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

just so we understand, they will not spend that cap space. Much of that will stay in place until they can use it on their own players they need to keep around. The younger guys. I expect a few 1-2 year rental type players. possible a big 4-5 year deal but they will not spend the cap away.

They will spend what is necessary.

They will spend money where it is worth it.

They have to spend 85% of the CAP over a three year period.  I think the will not spend all of it but they will spend 40-50 mil I figure. I actually expect two or three 3-5 year contracts.  

Kinda hoping we flirt with the cap floor this year and save another spending session next year. Either that, or make some big money 1 or 2 year contracts for an older player.

We need a real game breaker to come available, and then go for it. Not just pay whoever happens to be available. This year would have been a perfect time for a guy like Mack who was available last year. Wait it out, trade of you have to, we have to make sure the money spent this year is on bona fide players or on short contracts.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

...they didn't update it...Kyle still shows (retired)......Halftime Davis still shows (garbage)......so we have 6 UFA's, 3 RFA's and 2 EFRA's.....a workable list IMO....good find bud...thanks...:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm sure Buffalo remains one of the least preferred destinations in the league, for many reasons.

It's going to be a real challenge to attract any of the top FAs here.

Can you qualify your statement.  What is it based on?  Bills have cap space, a yong QB, starting opportunities, a very wealthy owner and the 2nd ranked defense.  What makes the Bills a lesser free agent destination.  It's nice to have an opinion, better if you can qualify it.

So, your response is?

22 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

26 in 2020

Of the list of 13, only care about signing Jordan Phillips, I'd be ok with a reasonable back-up contract to Jordan Mills.  Nobody else interests me on that list.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

They will spend what is necessary.

They will spend money where it is worth it.

They have to spend 85% of the CAP over a three year period.  I think the will not spend all of it but they will spend 40-50 mil I figure. I actually expect two or three 3-5 year contracts.  

"We're still not going to go out there and be the big spenders," Beane told Vic Carucci. "I've told you, over and over, as long as I'm here, we're going to try to build this through the draft. But sometimes there are players out there that you have a good feel that you say, 'You know what? I am going to try and get this guy. We really need that.'

• Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Yes the contracts were there but it was his decision to trade and/ or release those players to create the dead cap. The only dead cap that wasnt his doing was Woods retirement.

He bit the bullet on a bunch of non-process players.

Now he gets to construct his team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

They won't be around for those drafts if they don't win next year. 

They need to shell out some cash for good players in FA. The team has holes all over the place. Draft won't be enough.

Key word is SOME. Just quoting the boss Scott

1 hour ago, Chris66 said:

Didnt inherit. He created 50 mil in dead cap

No he inherited a bad cap situation and created the 50 mil to fix the cap situation.  Try to learn to see whats there and not what you want to see.

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

How do you expect to compete without spending that money?

Spending wisely.  Its easier said than done though. After the performance Marcell put up there were plenty of teams lined up to give him that contract.  I think it was the best move at the time.  The actual bad contract we gave was to Rex, he ruined our defense and Marcell.

I am glad things worked out the way they did though as we have what I believe to be a FO and Coaching staff that will return us to the championship stage.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

Out of the UFAs I think bringing back DT Jordan Phillips should be and is IMO a priority. RT Jordan Mills I'd sign to a minimum contract but think he'll get a better offer elsewhere. C/G Groy I'd sign for vet minimum. RB/KR Taiwan Jones should be an inexpensive signing. Miller can go away.

Out of the RFAs, if they sign for a minimum salary IA'd think about bringing them back but if not it's no big deal.

Of the ERFAs, I'd definitely bring back DE Eddie Yarborough and LS Reid Ferguson.

I'd love to see two of the best o-linemen available in FA signed by the Bills which would leave the draft open for BPA in the 1st round and BPA position of need players the next couple of rounds.... WR, TE, RB.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm sure Buffalo remains one of the least preferred destinations in the league, for many reasons.

It's going to be a real challenge to attract any of the top FAs here.

Always glad when you show up to a thread and throw your miserable take in there.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, fansince88 said:

"We're still not going to go out there and be the big spenders," Beane told Vic Carucci. "I've told you, over and over, as long as I'm here, we're going to try to build this through the draft. But sometimes there are players out there that you have a good feel that you say, 'You know what? I am going to try and get this guy. We really need that.'

Yup exactly what I was saying.  If you read it closely.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They won't be around for those drafts if they don't win next year. 

They need to shell out some cash for good players in FA. The team has holes all over the place. Draft won't be enough.

During the first two years of Nix and Gailey, the Bills didn't spend big in free agency and talked about building through the draft.  Nix said it was a 3-4 year rebuild.  Then, in 2012, they spent big on Mario and Marc Anderson.  Something had changed, specifically, that the pressure was on to win after a 10-22 start.  It forced them to dramatically change course.  

I see a lot of pressure, albeit not as much, on McBeane to win in 2019 primarily because they have no excuses now. There's no more cap issues or problem players from previous regimes.  They got their QB and implemented their defense.  

Whatever "the process" is, it has changed and if they decide to spend big in UFA it wouldn't shock me.  No GM gets credit at the end of a season for not using 20-30M in cap space for that year.  They may have a big move planned, perhaps not like the Mario signing to make a splash, but to move the rebuild into high gear.  

That said, it's not going to be an Antonio Brown or Le'Veon Bell type guy.  It's going to be someone who buys into McCoach's way and adheres to that.  Because, this is Josh Allen's team, but their leadership, at least on offense, isn't particularly strong.  I see them going with some less heralded types who aren't going to rock the boat who might challenge their hand-picked QB. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Some hopefully means two or three lineman, legitimate number one WR(via trade or FA), and another WR.??

I would like to see a Quality Vet added, but dont pass over Robert Foster so quickly.  I believe he will develope into a solid #1 WR.  Zay may actually end up being a Great #2 .  I want a

quality vet to work with them and fill in till they develope.

Next year is year 3 for Zay and that is usually when you know what you got.

25 minutes ago, harv shitz said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/buffalo-bills/

Other than Groy, I don't care if they let everyone on this list go.

John Miller has proven he isn't an NFL caliber player, should be able to easily replace him.

Actually Groy performed terribly.

• Haha (+1) 1