Free agency is coming. 5 facts to know about the Bills roster heading into the 2019 offseason

On 1/20/2019 at 12:41 PM, fansince88 said:

just so we understand, they will not spend that cap space. Much of that will stay in place until they can use it on their own players they need to keep around. The younger guys. I expect a few 1-2 year rental type players. possible a big 4-5 year deal but they will not spend the cap away.

Did you and Beane discuss this over coffee this morning?

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

There is no additional penalty other than any money NOT spent to the "cap floor" goes to the NFLPA.

So far there has not been a team that has not reached the cap floor.

The Bills are a long way off from worrying about it.

People should know that it is not about cap space it's about cash spending.

All the Dead Money the Bills had is "cash spending".

The next "cap floor" calculations are due at the end of the 2020 season, so this year means nothing.

I won't go over the exact numbers but IF the Bills are projected to carryover 70 million into the 2021 season then it's time to worry.

That's carryover not cap space.

This is why I don't pay much serious attention this cap stuff.  This sounds like Accounting homework.  I flunked accounting.  I just like football.

go BILLS !!

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I missed your meaning.  

I thought the 2018 plan(need) was defense and this years plan (need) is offense 

Last year year we traded our QB and the traded up into the first for a QB.  That looks like drafting for need to me.  Then we traded in to first again for a middle linebacker.  Our defensive HC need a to find Keachly to run his defense.  Again, sounds like drafting for need to me.

14 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

they certainty drafted for need in 2018.

When the front office says they will not draft for need they are implying they will not draft a player much earlier than they project should have been taken like EJ was.  

Cannot some not realize that or are they looking for ways to criticize as always?

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

When the front office says they will not draft for need they are implying they will not draft a player much earlier than they project should have been taken like EJ was.  

Cannot some not realize that or are they looking for ways to criticize as always?

...apparently forgot where you are I take it??........reference the 4,538 "fire everybody" threads for starters.....

58 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Sorry man, i guess I'm not good at reading between the lines. When they say they don't draft for need I take it at face value.  I'll try to do better.

• Haha (+1) 1

Yeah I'm not keeping up on the entire thread (even though I started it)  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/offensive-line/

top 12 (by pay) 

PLAYER (121)
POS.
TO
2018 AAV
STATUS
MARKET VALUE
Ryan Kalil C 34 CAR TBD $8,375,000 UFA -
Mike Iupati G 32 ARI TBD $8,000,000 UFA -
Andy Levitre G 33 ATL TBD $7,800,000 UFA -
Jared Veldheer RT 32 DEN TBD $7,000,000 UFA -
Rodger Saffold G 31 LA TBD $6,269,447 UFA -
James Carpenter G 30 NYJ TBD $4,775,000 UFA -
Ramon Foster G 33 PIT TBD $3,200,000 UFA -
Brett Jones C 28 MIN TBD $2,914,000 UFA -
Ty Nsekhe LT 33 WAS TBD $2,914,000 UFA -
Nick Easton C 27 MIN TBD $2,914,000 UFA -
Ben Garland G 31 ATL TBD $2,914,000 UFA -
Matt Paradis C 29 DEN TBD $2,914,000 UFA -
Ryan Groy G 28 BUF TBD $2,500,000 UFA -

15 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Last year year we traded our QB and the traded up into the first for a QB.  That looks like drafting for need to me.  Then we traded in to first again for a middle linebacker.  Our defensive HC need a to find Keachly to run his defense.  Again, sounds like drafting for need to me.

Yes, that is true.   I thought I stated that they drafted for need on Defense last season too.  

Isn't it always a mix of need and BPA though? 

13 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Sorry man, i guess I'm not good at reading between the lines. When they say they don't draft for need I take it at face value.  I'll try to do better.

its the internet ...  you always have to read between the lines

• Haha (+1) 1