Free agency is coming. 5 facts to know about the Bills roster heading into the 2019 offseason

On 1/20/2019 at 1:08 PM, RPbillsfan said:

Can you qualify your statement.  What is it based on?  Bills have cap space, a yong QB, starting opportunities, a very wealthy owner and the 2nd ranked defense.  What makes the Bills a lesser free agent destination.  It's nice to have an opinion, better if you can qualify it.

Buffalo is still viewed as an area with limited entertainment opportunities for young wealthy African American men ... it has an impact, and if you don't believe that, you'd be a bit naive

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Buffalo is still viewed as an area with limited entertainment opportunities for young wealthy African American men ... it has an impact, and if you don't believe that, you'd be a bit naive

I'm a bit befuddled, can you translate that for me?

If I read that correctly let me ask  - What is there to do in Green Bay Wisconsin, or Minneapolis?  All you heard was people complaining the few bars they had when attending the SB. 

Is Cleveland a mecca for entertainment?   I hear Phoenix is a nice tow but doesn't the same apply? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/20/2019 at 1:56 PM, downunderbill said:

Always glad when you show up to a thread and throw your miserable take in there.

Just because you dont agree doesnt make him wrong.  On a scale of all the teams I bet buffalo is in the bottom 5 destinations if considered in a vacuum. If were being objective its pretty obvious why

We need a ton on offense, but I wouldn't say we have needs EVERYWHERE.

We need:

•  3-4 OL - We legitimately need 3 starters
  • 2 WR - Forget WR1, follow the Rams model of multiple 2s with consistent hands
  • 1 RB - Shady is done
  • SLB - Lorax is old and we need a young replacement
  • CB
  • DT
  • DE - Hughes is our only real pass rusher

13 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

Free Agency:

C Matt Paradis, DEN

RT Ja'Wuan James, MIA

WR John Brown, BAL

TE Maxx Williams, BAL

Draft:  BPA

Playoffs

I like spending most of our FA money on the Oline.  Then trade down from pick 9 and get Allen a stud TE and stud RB with our first 2 picks in the draft.  

• Like (+1) 1

We need a younger RB that can get us good ypc.     I don't think you need to draft one too early and I don't think we should overspend on a Vet. 

Ivory did well at times so you have to wonder if he's good or the lack of running lanes kept him contained. 

Is Shady shot?   imo not completely as the above is a factor 

1 hour ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Just because you dont agree doesnt make him wrong.  On a scale of all the teams I bet buffalo is in the bottom 5 destinations if considered in a vacuum. If were being objective its pretty obvious why

Obviously that one post is all there was to it.

3 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I'm a bit befuddled, can you translate that for me?

If I read that correctly let me ask  - What is there to do in Green Bay Wisconsin, or Minneapolis?  All you heard was people complaining the few bars they had when attending the SB. 

Is Cleveland a mecca for entertainment?   I hear Phoenix is a nice tow but doesn't the same apply? 

Gotta side with Shady - entertainment plays a role, if that, but not nearly as much of a motivator as a winning culture and cash money. Most of the players don't spend the offseason in town regardless.

This is a tried and failed trope in terms of winning FAs - they will sign for contracts and a promising team either in playoff contention or currently close to winning more, but can be swayed in contract negotiations and visits. Green Bay is always the sister market comparison, and it's hard to argue they don't retain or aren't able to recruit talent - albeit, their known strategy being to build from within through the draft.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Irrelevant 

How? Where in my post does it say I don't agree or disagree with him?

My point was that if you see his name you can expect to see some negative post where the Bills, or McDermott or Beane or Allen or you name it, they suck and  can do no right.

1 hour ago, downunderbill said:

How? Where in my post does it say I don't agree or disagree with him?

My point was that if you see his name you can expect to see some negative post where the Bills, or McDermott or Beane or Allen or you name it, they suck and  can do no right.

Touche. You are very right my bad.  The bills kill my spirit enough as is, I wont be able to handle another 7 months

• Like (+1) 1

49ers parting ways with DT Earl Mitchell ahead of free agency

The Niners confirmed Wednesday that they have informed defensive tackle Earl Mitchell they won't be exercising his option for the 2019 season. The 49ers made the move now in part to give Mitchell a head start on looking for a new team before free agency begins in March.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25834367/san-francisco-49ers-exercise-earl-mitchell-option

Why do I keep reading/hearing that the Bills "won't draft for need." They are absolutely going to draft for need and have nearly always done that. They have a big list of needs and will take the best player that fills one of those needs- WR, DT, DE, OT, OG. Maybe even TE. They aren't going to take a QB, LB or a safety at #9 even if that's the "best player available."

The only time I can remember the Bills drafting a player because they thought he was the BPA without regard for need is when they took CJ Spiller in 2010 when they already had Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch on the roster. And frankly, that was idiotic.

Edited by vincec

9 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Sad, but true. Even Cleveland has some cache.

I was just back in Buffalo for the 2017 Raiders game and was blown away by the improvements downtown. Stayed at the damn Hampton Inn by the Airport and even that was awesome. People drinking RESPONSIBLY in the hallways, etc. Yeah, that's my kind of place. Went to 716 and it was amazing!

With all that said, Buffalo is not a great FA destination so it's always going to be more important than anything to draft well. Pittsburgh figured that out years ago. We need to be uncharacteristically aggressive this offseason, but it shouldn't be the norm.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Touche. You are very right my bad.  The bills kill my spirit enough as is, I wont be able to handle another 7 months

Been a fan for 30 years so i get that, it's going to be an exciting off season this year and there are many positives to work with so it's not all bad.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, downunderbill said:

Been a fan for 30 years so i get that, it's going to be an exciting off season this year and there are many positives to work with so it's not all bad.

I wonder if the "next year we are going to be legit" is something I exclaim every year then conveniently forget in the off season,  or this year will really lead to something big.  I think this is new hope is going to pay off

I think the Bills have about $76 million in cap space right now. (correct if I'm wrong-  older article looked up).  

[1] Our first need is offensive line. That will allow the passing game and the running game to work and eat up the clock and save the defense.  If the offensive line is very good, we can get by with a good QB and a couple of better than average WR's  and RB.  

[2] Paying thu the nose for a top RB or WR is too many bucks in one basket.  You pay that only when you are near to top and can mortgage the future.

[3] The top FA offensive linemen go for about $10-12 million apiece- four of them would be about $50 of that $76 million-  and that is not a good deal.

[4] You can get very good, cheap offensive linemen by drafting several in the first few rounds every year and find the ones that turn out to be good.

[5] We have some good young core players on cost effective rookie contracts. They can be tied up now for 5 years more by giving a cost-effective new extended contract-  that will soak up some of the extra cap space and set a foundation.

what to do?   My take:

Resign some of the very good young players to long term contracts.   A good investment in keeping them around and it will save money compared to bidding for them as a FA or having to more quickly draft a replacement or tred water by getting some older stopgap veteran.

Get two good FA offensive linemen. (maybe three).  Don't spend top dollar for the top 1 or 2 at a position, but get the 2-5 type guys. This will solidify the line.

Draft 2 offensive linemen in the first 4 rounds.  Keep doing it until the o-line is in the top 5.

Other than that- go for the best player available in the first 4 rounds and after that go for the highest potential player.

Do not draft a RB or WR until the later rounds. They need an o-line to shine. Fix that first.

Think about trading down the first round pick to get a lower 1st and a second round pick. That is where you can get o-linemen.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
add

58 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I wonder if the "next year we are going to be legit" is something I exclaim every year then conveniently forget in the off season,  or this year will really lead to something big.  I think this is new hope is going to pay off

we all pretended with Tuhrod ... this is a bit different 

• Like (+1) 1

I sign TE Jeff Heureman, WR Chris Conley, T Donovan Smith, either Mat Paradis or Mitch Morse to start C, sign Jason Verrett,  consider a big contract for RB, WR, or Pass Rusher(Frank Clark, AB, Bell, etc), trade down from 9, target Risner, Metcalf, OL,TE,RB or Edge, and stockpile OL, WR, Edge, QB rest of draft