Free agency is coming. 5 facts to know about the Bills roster heading into the 2019 offseason

On January 20, 2019 at 8:37 AM, RoyBatty is alive said:

I want to sign Tre Flowers and  Trent Brown from New England, sell them the Pats dynasty is ending and a new era emerging in Buffalo...yeah a tough sell probably.

Well, players who have played for the Patriots say there is little fun there.  Maybe an improving team that has fun will not be that tough of a sell.

19 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

http://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2019-nfl-free-agents-list/

top 50.  

Offense 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-an-early-look-at-top-free-agents-in-2019-offense

TIGHT END Tyler Eifert
Honorable Mentions: Jared Cook, Jesse James, Luke Willson

TACKLE Daryl Williams, Carolina Panthers
Honorable Mentions: Trent Brown, Bobby Massie, Ja’Waun James

GUARD  Rodger Saffold,
Honorable Mentions: Andy Levitre, Ramon Foster, Quinton Spain

CENTER Matt Paradi
Honorable Mentions: Ryan Kalil, Travis Swanson

Eifert is very talented when he's healthy but he seems to always be injured.  He could be signed to a very reasonable deal but would be more risky than the signing of Trent Murphy, and we know how that turned out. I'd go for a Jared Cook for a couple of years while a young TE is being groomed.  

On 1/20/2019 at 11:11 PM, BillsVet said:

During the first two years of Nix and Gailey, the Bills didn't spend big in free agency and talked about building through the draft.  Nix said it was a 3-4 year rebuild.  Then, in 2012, they spent big on Mario and Marc Anderson.  Something had changed, specifically, that the pressure was on to win after a 10-22 start.  It forced them to dramatically change course.  

I see a lot of pressure, albeit not as much, on McBeane to win in 2019 primarily because they have no excuses now. There's no more cap issues or problem players from previous regimes.  They got their QB and implemented their defense.  

Whatever "the process" is, it has changed and if they decide to spend big in UFA it wouldn't shock me.  No GM gets credit at the end of a season for not using 20-30M in cap space for that year.  They may have a big move planned, perhaps not like the Mario signing to make a splash, but to move the rebuild into high gear.  

That said, it's not going to be an Antonio Brown or Le'Veon Bell type guy.  It's going to be someone who buys into McCoach's way and adheres to that.  Because, this is Josh Allen's team, but their leadership, at least on offense, isn't particularly strong.  I see them going with some less heralded types who aren't going to rock the boat who might challenge their hand-picked QB. 

I agree there going less heralded types no doubt about it. I believe they will spend most of there budget on the Oline and then add a couple wrs to the mix and a TE . We will load up this oline this offseason. 

#1- LT -Trent Brown 4yrs 45mil

#2- RT - Daryl Williams 4yrs 40mil

#3 C Ryan Khalil 2yrs 13mil

# 4 RG- Glowinski 3yrs 21mil 

I got us signing 2 new tackles, Dawkins will be moved to LG where he can truly flourish with his skill sets. I got us spending nearly 40 mil on our line 

New starting 5 

LT Brown

LG Dawkins

C Kalil

RG Glowinski

RT Williams

Wrs

The Bills will add Wrs via free agency and the draft . I dont see them spending big on this position at all. They will try to sign under rader players such as Donte Moncrief or Kevin White. I wont be surprised if they get them both.

TE

Jessie James .  Bills will show big interest in JJ and i can see him signing with us.

Edited by BillsFan1988

19 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Bell comes at too high of a cost for a RB. I do agree he is very special. Our first order of business must be to shore up the O line.

Josh could use a #1 RB too.  We have cap room.  I think RB is in play for a sneaky big signing or second day draft pick.  I agree we need a major overhaul on offensive line, especially with all the DT monsters in this years draft

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Josh could use a #1 RB too.  We have cap room.  I think RB is in play for a sneaky big signing or second day draft pick.  I agree we need a major overhaul on offensive line, especially with all the DT monsters in this years draft

Pete- I totally agree with you. My thought is why pay huge for a RB when they are there in the draft, like you say on second day? Wouldnt you rather shore up the Lines and grab a receiver and Linebacker? A move like Bell, as splashy as it is, can end up having cap implications Like Dareus.

13 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Pete- I totally agree with you. My thought is why pay huge for a RB when they are there in the draft, like you say on second day? Wouldnt you rather shore up the Lines and grab a receiver and Linebacker? A move like Bell, as splashy as it is, can end up having cap implications Like Dareus.

I think we definitely add multiple offensive lineman and wr through FA and draft.  Get Josh a good line, another quality WR, make Shady backup/3rd down, and add a featured RB with pass catching skills and big play ability.  That would be an NFL offense to match our up and coming defense

And we have $90 million in space, we have to spend a good chunk of that

Edited by Pete

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think we definitely add multiple offensive lineman and wr through FA and draft.  Get Josh a good line, another quality WR, make Shady backup/3rd down, and add a featured RB with pass catching skills and big play ability.  That would be an NFL offense to match our up and coming defense

as a rusher, he may not be a good 3rd down rusher.  As a  dump off WR he can still be efficient on 3rd down.

He needs a hole to run through and the current O Line wasn't providing one. 

On 1/20/2019 at 11:10 AM, RPbillsfan said:

Hope the Bills can sign OT Darryl Williams and C Matt Paradies or Mitch Morse, TE Jessie James, and one of the WR like a Tyrell Williams.

If the Bills with their cap space and a young QB can draw FA talent it sets up the draft to truly take the BPA in the first round.

You can bet Bean is looking at all options available & IMHO think he will do as he said he has & do what ever moves that it takes to make the team better not only with the players brought in but in reference to the contract & the cap too !!

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Ah someone who gets it! It is exactly what we need to be doing! Honestly- give me a bruising smash it between the tackles RB in rds 2-4 and like you said Shady on third downs. 

9 hours ago, Pete said:

Don't disagree necessarily except for a couple points. Even average to above average RBs can be made consistent or even great with a stout OL and run game coordination with blocking schemes. While I wouldn't hate to see us add a counter punch to Shady, I don't think Shady is done showing out if he has an actual OL in front of him or gets the ball in space. Curious what options can be had at various rounds in the draft, but RB would seem a priority falling behind OL and WR in terms of offensive upgrading and spending for it like you would with Bell.

As for the spending piece, I can agree and certainly see how easy it is to say we should spend a good chunk of it, given how last year panned out. But there are some key contracts coming in the next year or two that will demand high value, and may prefer to test the FA market offers. To tier these contracts long term and project spending to make sure we have the capital to re-sign the guys that constitute the foundation of this team is just as essential as filling holes in the offseason, if not more so as you create more holes by letting them go. There's an equilibrium to be had, but we should be wary of wanting to overspend in FA this offseason just out of visceral response to last year's performance at many positions (albeit warranted for some).

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 2

On 1/20/2019 at 10:34 AM, Virgil said:

It’s frustrating the lack of elite offensive weapons going into this FA and draft as we are finally in a good team and cap space to execute.  

You're right, it is frustrating. 

One thing to remember is that Beane doesn't have to spend all of his available cap money this year, he can hold 20-30 MM back in hopes that next year is a better crop of talent  The requirement to spend a certain percentage of the salary cap is actually calculated and averaged over several seasons.  You don't have to spend it all this year.  I'd rather have him keep some powder dry instead of spending all of it if the pieces he wants just aren't available at the right price.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

You're right, it is frustrating. 

One thing to remember is that Beane doesn't have to spend all of his available cap money this year, he can hold 20-30 MM back in hopes that next year is a better crop of talent  The requirement to spend a certain percentage of the salary cap is actually calculated and averaged over several seasons.  You don't have to spend it all this year.  I'd rather have him keep some powder dry instead of spending all of it if the pieces he wants just aren't available at the right price.

Currently 2020 has $100 mil in cap space 

and 20 or so spots to fill 

On 1/20/2019 at 12:31 PM, machine gun kelly said:

Wouldn’t it be funny if we picked up both AB and Bell?  I know it won’t happen, but what an impact with lineman heavy draft..  Aboy can dream.  I’ll put up with those Steelers personalities if we can go 11-5 and sweep the Pats.

Look what hapened to the Cowboys by simply picked up Cooper.  The team became a winner.

Uh I dunno, tell me why it won't happen.

I mean, *****'s about to get crazy for us this off season I think so what the hell, why not?

Edited by beerme1
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/20/2019 at 10:41 AM, fansince88 said:

just so we understand, they will not spend that cap space. Much of that will stay in place until they can use it on their own players they need to keep around. The younger guys. I expect a few 1-2 year rental type players. possible a big 4-5 year deal but they will not spend the cap away.

They are required by CBA to spend most of it. A portion of it can roll over. They WILL spend a lot of it because they have to by rule.

22 minutes ago, MJS said:

They are required by CBA to spend most of it. A portion of it can roll over. They WILL spend a lot of it because they have to by rule.

I found this on the internet, and I know we all believe everything we find on the internet...  ; )

I have no idea where the Bills stand right now as far as their spending requirement during this four year period.

Spending requirements

There is a minimum amount of money that a team can put towards their caps. All 32 teams are required to spend at least 89 percent of their caps (which this year is $157.7 M). This is called the minimum cash spend requirement, also known as the 89 percent rule.  Teams don’t have to spend their 89 percent every year, however. This requirement must be the average amount spent over the four year spending period. The current spending period started in 2017 and will continue through 2020.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

22 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Related comments (maybe) ....  So is the plan to fill those needs via FA?

2. BILLS HAVE NEEDS, BUT THEY WON’T DRAFT FOR NEED

I kinda feel like we have so many needs, it's almost by default than anybody we take in the draft will be "addressing an area of need." ;) 

• Like (+1) 1