Free agency is coming. 5 facts to know about the Bills roster heading into the 2019 offseason

It’s all led up to this.

Brandon Beane inherited a less-than-ideal salary cap situation when he took over as Buffalo’s general manager in the 2017 offseason. He spent his first year-and-a-half on the job attempting to remedy the problem, accumulating over a reported $50 million in dead money in the process.

Now, Beane and the Bills enter the 2019 offseason with more than a reported $80 million in cap space. The general manager now has the opportunity to put his stamp on the roster - he just has a bit of housekeeping to take care of first.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Hope the Bills can sign OT Darryl Williams and C Matt Paradies or Mitch Morse, TE Jessie James, and one of the WR like a Tyrell Williams.

If the Bills with their cap space and a young QB can draw FA talent it sets up the draft to truly take the BPA in the first round.

• Like (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

And of course the disappearance of Dunkirk Don.  

Lol ? 

“He sleep with the fishes”.

You don’t tug on Superman’s cape,

You don’t spit into the wind,

You don’t pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger,

And you don’t mess around with Kim...

?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Added ?
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It’s frustrating the lack of elite offensive weapons going into this FA and draft as we are finally in a good team and cap space to execute.  

I would call Le'Veon Bell elite without any question. He's also a position of huge need: a top 2-3 RB who is also an outstanding WR coming out of the backfield, just what Josh could use. Problem: Is he a "process" guy? 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It’s frustrating the lack of elite offensive weapons going into this FA and draft as we are finally in a good team and cap space to execute.  

Don't need elite weapons right now, give him guys that can develop alongside him and contribute right away.  This isn't Madden, elite weapons aren't always available and worth the price.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It’s all led up to this.

Brandon Beane inherited a less-than-ideal salary cap situation when he took over as Buffalo’s general manager in the 2017 offseason. He spent his first year-and-a-half on the job attempting to remedy the problem, accumulating over a reported $50 million in dead money in the process.

Now, Beane and the Bills enter the 2019 offseason with more than a reported $80 million in cap space. The general manager now has the opportunity to put his stamp on the roster - he just has a bit of housekeeping to take care of first.

Didnt inherit. He created 50 mil in dead cap

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

I would call Le'Veon Bell elite without any question. He's also a position of huge need: a top 2-3 RB who is also an outstanding WR coming out of the backfield, just what Josh could use. Problem: Is he a "process" guy? 

I’m not sure he isn’t. Guy wanted to get paid and the Steelers couldn’t come to an agreement with him. Look at what happened to Earl thomas. Bell probably took the correct route. I would sign him in a second. I hope Beane would also allow his talent to outweigh the fact that he held out for a contract. If you end up going after and signing Bell, I might then attempt to make a play for Antonio Brown. 

Edited by Bills2ref

8 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Those contracts were in place when he was hired.  

Ergo he inherited those players.  

I dont think many will argue the actual value of those let go via trade, cut or retirement 

Yes the contracts were there but it was his decision to trade and/ or release those players to create the dead cap. The only dead cap that wasnt his doing was Woods retirement.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

I’m not sure he isn’t. Guy wanted to get paid and the Steelers couldn’t come to an agreement with him. Look at what happened to Earl thomas. Bell probably took the correct route. I would sign him in a second. I hope Beane would also allow his talent to outweigh the fact that he held out for a contract. 

I hope the same; just not sure McBeane will see it the same way. As an armchair GM, without blinking an eye I would spend a third of our available cap space just on Le'Veon and either Paradis/Morse alone because they are elite at their positions. That would give you a ton of flexibility going into the draft: 1st rounder on BPA (probably a defensive player) and the rest of the draft to fill other holes: TE, G, RT, WR. Even if McBeane sees things as we do, would Le'Veon choose us over Indy or other options with more established QBs? It's going to be a VERY interesting off-season.

• Like (+1) 1

Wouldn’t it be funny if we picked up both AB and Bell?  I know it won’t happen, but what an impact with lineman heavy draft..  Aboy can dream.  I’ll put up with those Steelers personalities if we can go 11-5 and sweep the Pats.

Look what hapened to the Cowboys by simply picked up Cooper.  The team became a winner.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RPbillsfan said:

Hope the Bills can sign OT Darryl Williams and C Matt Paradies or Mitch Morse, TE Jessie James, and one of the WR like a Tyrell Williams.

If the Bills with their cap space and a young QB can draw FA talent it sets up the draft to truly take the BPA in the first round.

I'm sure Buffalo remains one of the least preferred destinations in the league, for many reasons.

It's going to be a real challenge to attract any of the top FAs here.

just so we understand, they will not spend that cap space. Much of that will stay in place until they can use it on their own players they need to keep around. The younger guys. I expect a few 1-2 year rental type players. possible a big 4-5 year deal but they will not spend the cap away.

• Like (+1) 1